Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm still a fairly green :)cool:) rider with only 500 miles worth of experience. I keep reading stories on here where people low side, or just drop their bike. It's getting me nervous. Like thinking my day will come soon :(.

I know I may end up never dropping my bike (rare i'm sure) but there's always the possibility that every time I get on it can happen. Anyone else feel this way? :confused:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just keep your head on a swivel and don't push yourself and you'll be ok. I know some riders who've been riding for decades and have never been in a crash because they never let their guard down.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Not really. I've almost lost it a couple times but I recovered before I did. Just be careful when riding. Make sure the stand is down and its stable before you get off.

·
Registered
215 Posts
If you drop it, simply pick it up. Learn how with the walk back method. Then if stuff is damaged-- replace it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
So I'm still a fairly green :)cool:) rider with only 500 miles worth of experience. I keep reading stories on here where people low side, or just drop their bike. It's getting me nervous. Like thinking my day will come soon :(.

I know I may end up never dropping my bike (rare i'm sure) but there's always the possibility that every time I get on it can happen. Anyone else feel this way? :confused:

I feel you. I only have one hundred more miles than you do of experience.
Every single day I think about all the things that can go wrong when I ride my bike. Maybe it wont happen the first hundred miles, but something can happen after the 5,000 or 50,000 mile mark. I mean, we just never know. I think that things happen when we get too comfortable and let are guards down. Even if I'm enjoying my ride, I still have to be prepared for anything
and be cautious and defensive rider.

Anyways, what I do the moment I sit on my bike and get ready to go for a ride is just clear my mind and not think about anything else other than enjoying my ride and being one with my bike. Be safe and just enjoy life:)

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm fairly new too and know how you feel. I just take my time and make sure I'm alert. If I'm not feeling good or not focussed, I stay away from my bike. I continue to following the simple things I learned in my MSF class. I always grab the front break while mounting and dismounting. It keeps the bike from rolling accidentally and ensures you have a firm grip. I also straighten the front before putting up the stand.

I've come to the realization that it's just like a car. Eventually someone, including you, is going to put a ding in it. Get it fixed and learn how not to do the same thing again.

·
Registered
805 Posts

The possibility is always there and we all have the fear its just a matter of how we face it. Most likely one day you will drop your bike but its not the end of the world. You just pick back up and keep on going.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah all things said here are true. I took the MSF course so I always hold the brake lever when getting on. I always make sure to put the kickstand down because the first time dismounting at the MSF course I only put it halfway and nearly dropped their cbr 250 lol. I had to muscle it back up and feel embarrassed lol.

Ever since then I always make sure I don't drop it when parking it or walking it in my garage. I'm overly cautious whenever I ride too. I think my first week I asked on here what I should be doing because I used to constantly look at my mirrors and over my shoulders being afraid of other cars.

I guess if and when I do drop it everything can pretty much be replaced. I just hope I can get this nervous itch off my back. Your mind can be stubborn and put up a hell of a fight some times...

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
There are 2 kinds of riders.
Those who have crashed/dropped their bikes
and
Those who are going to crash/drop their bikes.

This is why you wear protective gear and keep alert at all times.

I went over the handlebars of my ZX-6R due to a person not stopping at a stop sign.
I bounced the chin portion of my Shoei RF900 So hard that I could not hear for 10-15 minutes and ripped through the outer layer of my leather jacket so that the armor was exposed. Then I slid about 30 feet in grass.
Badly bruised ribs were the extent of my injuries with ZERO ROAD RASH due to being properly equipped.

I SWEAR BY FULL FACE HELMETS because I would not have a face if I was not wearing a helmet or if I was wearing a brain bucket.

Don't sweat it. Stay vigilant and enjoy yourself.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Yeah all things said here are true. I took the MSF course so I always hold the brake lever when getting on. I always make sure to put the kickstand down because the first time dismounting at the MSF course I only put it halfway and nearly dropped their cbr 250 lol. I had to muscle it back up and feel embarrassed lol.

Ever since then I always make sure I don't drop it when parking it or walking it in my garage. I'm overly cautious whenever I ride too. I think my first week I asked on here what I should be doing because I used to constantly look at my mirrors and over my shoulders being afraid of other cars.

I guess if and when I do drop it everything can pretty much be replaced. I just hope I can get this nervous itch off my back. Your mind can be stubborn and put up a hell of a fight some times...
You can never be overly cautious on a motorcycle stay that way lol. To be honest after going down my first time I've felt more confident. But then again my reflexes saved me from any damage to myself. I imagine if I wouldve gotten hurt id be slightly discouraged haha.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just keep your head on a swivel and don't push yourself and you'll be ok. I know some riders who've been riding for decades and have never been in a crash because they never let their guard down.
Its not a bad thing to be anxious. When you start to feel like you can do it all on the bike, that's when you need to be nervous or scared because once you let your guard down like gearhead said that's when stuff goes wrong.

Always keep your eyes out for cagers, pot holes, and take caution at all times. I'm sure you'll want to see what the bike has but make sure, if you do, to do it on a road you know well.

Be safe and have fun!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts