Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
its a good question. when i went to the dealer i was under the impression they would help me load it and strap it... nope... so this guy gave me advice "off the clock"

youre going to want to get handle bar straps. they are like $30, and they slide into the handle bars and you use hooks to hold it down to the hooks on the truck.

and then i used a tie down strap for the back, wrapped around the back wheel and around to both ends of the truck. if that makes sense.

now i am not saying its the best way and im thinking others might have better advice, but thats how i did it with no previous experience, definitely wished i would have researched that one first.

and drive reaaaaallly slow.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Or ask how much they charge to deliver. It's usually like $25 or $30 Depending on where you live.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I used handlebar straps and two tie downs (one on each side of the bike, tied to the rear foot peg brackets).

Tighten them down enough to compress the shocks and forks a bit, but leave room for play (to absorb bumps during the journey home).

Don't leave the kickstand down, you'll bend it.

And that's pretty much it, have fun and enjoy the new ride! :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
I used regular ratchet straps on forks just remember to put a strap over the back or seat to make sure the back doesn't hop. It is always easier with two, but if you have to practice clutch control while of the bike and use a step ladder next to the ramp. That will make it a lot easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I wondered the same thing and youtubed it. Every method I have seen seems pretty dangerous. I have no desire to load or unload a bike out the back of my truck. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
839 Posts
Congrats on the new bike,
and hope your loading/unloading goes well...

·
Registered
958 Posts
Loading and unloading is tricky. Just watch YouTube to see what can happen. Really, I wouldn't use a pickup truck. I'd rent a Uhaul trailer made for that purpose and low to the ground. Uhaul will have the straps too.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Agree, was a free option for us too. On both bikes...I rode mine home. Hydro got his delivered and the dealer was easily and hour from us.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I got free delivery and my house is a good thirty miles away from where I bought it

Sent from my LG-P999 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Meh, we really didn't have any trouble loading mine into the back of my brother's truck. It was me, my brother and someone at the dealership gave us a hand.

I stood in the truck bed as the "catcher" while my brother and the dealership worker pushed the bike up the ramp.

Unloading isn't much harder. One person on the ground, one person in the truck. Person on the truck backs it out until you have no room left to walk. Person on the ground holds the bike while you hop down, then you back it out the rest of the way.

Keep in mind the 300 is only 379lbs wet ;)

If you have a sloped driveway (sloping towards the road), when you're unloading, back the truck up to the edge of your driveway, this way the bed is closer to the ground and the ramp won't be as steep.

Of course if you can get free delivery, then all the better...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts