Sprocket size?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a track day in 3 weeks and I need to replace my chain and sprockets. Should I stick with stock gearing for my first track day or should I try gearing it down some? (Up in front down in the back)

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm doing a track day in 3 weeks and I need to replace my chain and sprockets. Should I stick with stock gearing for my first track day or should I try gearing it down some? (Up in front down in the back)
Depends on the track.

What track?

·
Registered
11 Posts
If in doubt, stick with stock . No offense, but the bike is probably better than you are.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
549 Posts
If in doubt, stick with stock . No offense, but the bike is probably better than you are.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
:iagree: Personally, I would start out running the stock gearing. That way you will experience what YOU and the BIKE are capable doing. That way you may be able to determine what performance you want from the bike and what your experience level would be.

Then I would chat with other folks that are running at your track. You would be able to explain how your bike is performing and what improvements you would want to make. Somebody may be able to guide you to perfect gearing for your bike, thus saving you money along with trial and error. :shrug.001:

Another option would be to let somebody with a lot of experience take your bike out for a few laps around the track. Then listen to what advise he / she may have to offer.

Good luck and have fun ..................... :smile2:

·
Registered
316 Posts
If we knew what track you were running we may be able to point you in the right direction. There are Ninja track riders on a couple different forums that are pretty quick, and would be able to tell you if changing gearing is an advantage.

Chances are you'll have plenty of other things to concentrate on, so running the stock gearing is probably the best option initially.

·
Registered
49 Posts
+1 on the rear (lower top speed, slightly better drive off corners). You’ll need a speedo healer on non ABS model if you care to have an accurate speedo for any sprocket size other than stock.

You’re welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't find anything specifically about gearing for the 300 at Barber, but this section might have some useful info -

You could also join and post the question if you didn't find anything.
I ended up going with the stock gearing for now since it's my first time on the track. I would rather it pull like I am used to just to start off with.

Thanks for your help guys!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Im a relatively lightweight rider at 150lbs, so I geared mine up a bit. Even in the twisties, it feels better. Yes, it reduced my literal acceleration a bit, but what I found as the rider was that is stretched out the gears, and gave me more gears to use, up and down. When you get into a really really tight turn (probably tighter than any turn on most tracks) I can still drop down to 2nd for 25-30mph turns, but then I am not camping in 6th gear trying to get to top speed as much.

Although true, if you don't have a formed opinion yet, don't change it. My ninja used to be geared lower than stock, and it was quick off the line, but man was I wringing it out like crazy on any even small stretch. I found I didn't lose the corner-exiting roll onto the throttle by making the gearing taller, I was able to comfortably carry the speed through the corner, and come out with my RPMs where I wanted them.

My 2c. I'm about to take my ninja to DRRO here soon as well, I think for those 0.4 mile ish straights, my taller gearing will help me out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know it has been a bit, but this is the website I go to in order to calculate what changes I need to make to achieve a certain goal. Enter in all the data and it will show you all kinds of things you never knew. You can load up to three options and it will show comparisons and other pertinent data.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts