Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the book states when we "should" change gears but what gear should we be in to achieve the mpg that this bike has to offer cause I'm not seeing it...

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
if i want good fuel economy i say below about 6 grand. mind you having said that, i can flog the arse off my bike since i have had the power commander 5 fitted and still not go over about 4.5 litres of fuel to the 100 kays travelled

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I know the book states when we "should" change gears but what gear should we be in to achieve the mpg that this bike has to offer cause I'm not seeing it...
Its a pretty hard question to answer without knowing how you ride it.........

·
Registered
68 Posts
I thought "gear" meant riding gear until I read your post.

While I haven't had enough fill-ups (only 4 so far) to quantify my actual mileage, I think my current mileage at ~60 average is pretty good. I push the engine sometimes (low gear, higher rpm, more power) and sometimes I change to a higher gear when the bike will actually give me more power on a lower gear. I believe its this second style of changing gears that gives better mileage because you are not straining the engine and trying to get max power out of the bike. But again, its a fine line between being in the "right" gear vs going into a high gear to soon (low rpm) which isn't good for the engine. Only experience helps with judging this.

However, this bike wasn't designed for that sort of riding - its meant to be ripped and that shouldn't give you unusually low mileage. Just make sure you don't stay in a lower gear at too high rpms for very long and you'll be fine (I've seen some noob riders in youtube videos doing this). What mileage are you getting, btw?

·
Registered
68 Posts
if i want good fuel economy i say below about 6 grand. mind you having said that, i can flog the arse off my bike since i have had the power commander 5 fitted and still not go over about 4.5 litres of fuel to the 100 kays travelled
I rode between 7-8.5k rpm for my first 200 miles and I got 65 mpg during that run. I think its more of a gear-rpm issue than rpm alone.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Short shift dont flog it. I can make my V8 go 100 kilometres without the gauge even moving but I have to drive it like im afraid wind will damage it.http://www.motorcycle.com/mobile

is it a Ford???? is so then yes, the wind changing direction will probably warp the panels on it, but if it is a Holden, mate you got nothing to worry about:D:p

·
Registered
292 Posts
If you're using the little "eco" thing on the indicator panel, anything under 8k rpm and 1/4 throttle will keep it on.
Given those circumstances, you won't be going very fast. And you will probably be overtaken by pedestrians as you accelerate from a stop light....

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm seeing between 53 and 59 mpg...this is how my gauge goes...

Full mark...
17miles....1 bar gone
50 miles...2 bars gone
77 miles...3 bars gone
120 miles...4 bars gone
160 miles....5 bars gone
177 miles...blinking
210 miles...fill up with 3.70 gallons

Never fails everytime...

When I ride through town I ride at 3rd gear...

On the highway I'm always in sixth but i dont go anywhere below 65-70mph...but do I need to be n sixth gear?

Someone told me about the k&n filter but how will that thing help me out? Will it help my mpgs?

·
Registered
490 Posts
If you look on the digital clock.a little nuclear sign shows up when you riding in the correct gear and at the correct revs to be riding economically.so long as that symbol is there then you riding to save.the bike is already pretty cheap though even at normal speeds.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm seeing between 53 and 59 mpg...this is how my gauge goes...

Full mark...
17miles....1 bar gone
50 miles...2 bars gone
77 miles...3 bars gone
120 miles...4 bars gone
160 miles....5 bars gone
177 miles...blinking
210 miles...fill up with 3.70 gallons

Never fails everytime...

When I ride through town I ride at 3rd gear...

On the highway I'm always in sixth but i dont go anywhere below 65-70mph...but do I need to be n sixth gear?

Someone told me about the k&n filter but how will that thing help me out? Will it help my mpgs?
I recently installed the k&n and it makes a difference. Very responsive. I usually am in 5th gear on the fwy (high rpm for people to hear me). As far as mpg, I'm waiting to see when I fill up next to calculate my mpg. Is your mpg freeway only?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
330 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
I did some looking around and some of those after market filters get water into your engine easily.I'm not sure if K&N is one of them but if your a every day,any weather commuter then I'd look into it.or better yet.get a power commander.then you can red line the bike everywhere and it won't cost you much more than your already paying.:p.truth be told,that's probably the best mod you can get for this bike.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Ive been thinking about getting a pc bc a lot of people say good things about it but haven't done enough homework to know what its really about and how to install.

Go check out the website, find the 300 and it will let you download the installation instructions.
Basically you're going to remove your fairings and install a bunch of wires. The wires all have plugs on the ends so don't worry about being an electrician, the instructions are all color coded so you really can't screw it up.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Go check out the website, find the 300 and it will let you download the installation instructions.
Basically you're going to remove your fairings and install a bunch of wires. The wires all have plugs on the ends so don't worry about being an electrician, the instructions are all color coded so you really can't screw it up.

Seems simple enough. So just feed, plug and play? No remapping or anything?

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts