Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to get some gear but im not really sure where or what i should be getting iv never shopped for gear i want some gear that is going to help if i do go down but dont want to spend to much on it any recomendations brands sites ect

iv been looking at sportsbiketrackgear.com

·
Registered
215 Posts
Cyclegear.com is usually pretty good. They have an online site, as well as many in stores as well. Gear comes to a preference mostly. I really like alpinestars, it can become kind of expensive though.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Really depends on your budget. Definitely get a full-face helmet with minimum DOT certification. Most injuries happen to the chin area so anything that doesn't cover there probably won't do you too much good. HJC is a good inexpensive brand. Getting all leather is ideal, but textile can be really good too. Full-gauntlet gloves are recommended as shorties can be pulled off easier. Most jackets don't come with a CE back protector and only have some sort of foam pad in them so it would be good to upgrade that to a CE back insert. Full boots are recommended because shorter boots or shoes allow your ankle to be moved around and the footwear could come off. When shopping for stuff online, I put the item prices low to high, then slowly go down until I find a good balance of features and price.

I like going to sportbike track gear, revzilla, and motorcycle superstore.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Go get a mid ranged helmet $100-250, Dot or snell rated from cycle gear. Make sure it fits and find a sales rep to help you with fitting. Buy a set of gloves. Stay away from the bilt stuff if your pocketbook allows.

Use this for the MSF. Buy your jacket, pants, boots later. Usually, you get a discount when buying your bike aswell.

You'll collect gear as time goes on, ao start out with reasonably priced, quality items first. Upgrade when you're more knowledgable of your uses and needs.

Sent from my R800x using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
506 Posts
any thoughts on the Scorpion EXO-750 for a helmet ?
I can't attest to it personally, but I hear very good things about it. But again, especially for your first helmet, you should try it out for sizing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't attest to it personally, but I hear very good things about it. But again, especially for your first helmet, you should try it out for sizing.

ill deffinetly go and try them on just making sure its a good helmet before

·
Registered
506 Posts
ill deffinetly go and try them on just making sure its a good helmet before
Fyi revzilla has a great deal on them right now. I suggest going to a shop to try them on and find your size. Then buy online if it's a better deal than store.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
yeah sportbiketrackgear.com has them for about $125 + Military discount but graphic ones only i like that flat black though......but if it protects me i shouldnt really care if i look good :D

·
Registered
561 Posts
the way i look at it is.... What is your life worth??? will you pay $150 for some shitty cycle gear brand boots or $300 for a nice pair of sidi boots. same goes for all gear. I've seen so many times people buy cheap gear but will spend $500 for a exhaust pipe. well when you go down and since you skimped on gear and your pipe is destroyed and you have road rash up and down your body then you'll know you should've spent a little extra on gear. Bikes and mods are replaceable, is your life?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i agree wich is why i am asking what is some decent gear to buy before i just go out and buy some i know nothing about

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
There's plenty of stuff out there that's decent and will save your hide if something happens. It might not last more than once like higher end stuff will, but it will still do the job. Since you have to buy all the gear at once right now, it's alright to get cheaper stuff as long as it provides reasonable protection. Then you can replace things one by one with better gear and it won't hit your wallet all at once. Reading the reviews on sites helps a lot too. I would probably not go for the cheapest of the cheap though.

It also really helps to go into a physical store and just try shit on to get a feel for sizing, especially for helmets. Those come in different shapes and the wrong shape could pinch your head. In the store, you can also see certain features in person to decide what might work for you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
alright thanks will do just another question what would be better textile or leather for a jacket and what should i look for in a glove ?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Leather is preferred but there's nothing wrong with a well-made textile jacket. In a glove, I would look for full-gauntlet and enough armor/padding on it. Again, leather is preferred but well-made textile gloves are good too. Another thing that may affect your decision is the ventilation level of all these items.

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
I went textile on my jacket and mixed on the gloves.

I had the scorpion exo 500 and it was loud and hurt my right ear. Now I have the exo 1100 and I love it. Quieter and sooo much more comfortable and love the look. I pretty much wasted $150 on the 500... but it will be a backup helmet.

Best thing to do is find about 5-6 styles of one thing you like the look of and can afford, then look at all the reviews of those items from multiple sites and compare the features/ fit. Then make your personal call.

Cheap gear is still better than none!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Price generally goes up with added featured, and reduced bulk at the same level of protection, or high level protection. You will notice a lot of high end stuff that is designed for the track. Many leather jackets can survive several crashes before needing replacement. The same goes for leather pants and race boots.

For gloves I'd aim for leather in at least the high impact areas. Your hands can get a lot of abuse in a crash and warrant something around or above the $100 mark to get that.

Helmets generally get lighter, and come with better features like better anti fog, built in sun visors, etc. The lower end helmets will protect you fine, but they might be noisier, not the greatest fit, or heavy compared to the better models.

Venting and rain protection are other factors to consider. Gear is useless if it's too hot for you to comfortably wear it. Or if it rains a lot where you live.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Here is the correct link for the Cycle Gear 15% discount for those who have passed the MSF course within the past 30 days:
http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/landingpages/msf_completion.cfm

The link posted earlier in the thread was for a military discount. Also, bear in mind that just about every major brand is excluded. Read the fine print for the details. Still, if you happen to find something you want that is not excluded, the discount is pretty sweet.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Honestly, a lot of budget brands like Joe Rocket and First Gear will hold you over until you know what gear you really want.

Whatever you do, don't buy Icon gear. Bought my first boots from them and the zipper broke while trying them on...they went back and rocking Alpinestars SMX-5 boots now.

I'm replacing my Icon jacket today too, despite costing the same as the Dainese jacket that's replacing it, my Icon jacket had frayed stitching from day 1 and poor pad positioning.

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
i need to get some gear but im not really sure where or what i should be getting iv never shopped for gear i want some gear that is going to help if i do go down but dont want to spend to much on it any recomendations brands sites ect

iv been looking at sportsbiketrackgear.com
Any gear is good. The biggest deal tho is how fast do you go. If I am going over 55 I put on leathers good full length gloves if im putting around town 40ish I will put on wrist gloves mesh jacket if its nice and some sort of pants Kevlar or leather. 2 things I use no mater what boot's and full face DOT helmet. Now if it was me Id spend some good money on a nice helmet I have 2 with Bluetooth and sync. nice for phone calls music talking to another rider that sort of stuff. I also have a few others that I like more for summer fall or winter. Boots don't go getting some work boots get real mc boots it makes shifting and other task on the bike more simple. I know on the 300 my work boot will just fit under the shifter.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts