Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday when coming back from the dealership for my 600mi service (unfortunately I was already at 750mi by the time I got it in, thanks to the dealer closing like crazy for the holidays) I had a problem where half way through second gear, about 6k RPM, it suddenly dropped down to neutral. My foot was underneath ready to up-shift, so I have no clue what happened. Thinking maybe when I shifted up to second gear that I didn't push it all the way up and maybe it slipped down to neutral??? Any ideas?

·
Banned
562 Posts
I have heard of this happening. my guess is u didnt fully engage 2nd when u upshifted and the vubration dropped it down.my problem is I dont push hard enough when I go up from first and I go into neutral instead of 2nd. my recommendation for us both? Switch to moto gp shifting. im gonna do that today

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have heard of this happening. my guess is u didnt fully engage 2nd when u upshifted and the vubration dropped it down.my problem is I dont push hard enough when I go up from first and I go into neutral instead of 2nd. my recommendation for us both? Switch to moto gp shifting. im gonna do that today
how exactly does one 'switch to moto gp shifting'? :confused:

·
Banned
562 Posts
you have to rotate the knob at the bottom of the gear shifter 180 degrees
there are videos of it on Youtube

·
Banned
562 Posts
it will change it to 1 up and 5 down
im thinking gravity will help from it slipping out of gear
and plus its more fun :)

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
You just need to shift firmly. Try using the hard part of the top of your foot, and adjust the lever to allow you to get it there. I am using the area about 1.5" from my big toe for upshifts, and wear real riding boots. Sneakers don't cut it.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I have run into this problem a few times as well. Odd thing is I don't do half shifts. I hit it firmly up and down and sometimes it slips, other times it doesn't.

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am not sure what it is. It has not happened anymore since that one time, and I mean I was JUST around the block from the dealer right after my 600mi service, so maybe it was just related to whatever they did and now it's good to go.

Have you had yours serviced yet?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I have yet to have my serviced yet. Currently at 251 miles. I may do an oil change once I hit 300 miles.

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you're already having that problem often and you're 100% sure its not bad shifting, id have the dealer look at it

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I plan to. Just got to go to my nearest dealer. I refuse to go to Temecula Motorsports down the street from me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Moto GP

So I moto GP'd my bike, then I switched it back, because I thought it would be easier to deal with. Then I had the same problem, so needless to say that I will be switching it back to MotoGP permanently. Here is my vid that I did on how to switch it.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
If you are having shifting problems, consider a set of good rear sets. The adjustability will allow you to more closely match your size and the angles to help you shift better. Stock, for me, the pegs are too far forward and the shifter wasn't easy to set up to give me the correct angles in my foot and ankle.

The precision goes way up with a better peg/shifter, about 200%.

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I believe I may end up later on down the road getting a better pair, but for now these will have to do. I've spent too much money lately (bought a house, then a pool, then a dog, then my son's birthday and christmas, then the motorcycle). I haven't had that problem except for that one time, and that was 750 miles (approx) in, think it was just a random screw up on my part.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I usually don't have this problem but on several occasions ive had my bike slip out of gear. Ive seen it slip into neutral from 2nd gear and ive also had my bike slip out of 6th gear into 5th while accelerating hard. Not sure why it happens but since its very rare i don't make a big deal out of it.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I usually don't have this problem but on several occasions ive had my bike slip out of gear. Ive seen it slip into neutral from 2nd gear and ive also had my bike slip out of 6th gear into 5th while accelerating hard. Not sure why it happens but since its very rare i don't make a big deal out of it.
I have the same slip from 6th out into 5th. Same........usually when on full song.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.