Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, for those who have talked to me before, you might remember that I'm getting my bike in April. So I'm gonna start ordering gear in a few weeks or so...

My list so far...

Agv k3 helmet
My work boots I already have (opinions)
Icon Stryker vest
Joe rocket atomic 4 jacket
Alpinestars scheme Kevlar gloves (will get gauntlets after summer)
Jeans??? (Opinions)

So.. Open to any opinions and suggestions. Thanks guys

·
Registered
37 Posts
If your work boots have non slip soles, ankle protection, toe protection and lace guards they should be fine.

I think everyone skips on pants because either they don't want to deal with changing out of them or don't like the looks. I for one feel much more confident riding knowing my pants are not only abrasion resistant but also having knee, shin, hip and tailbone protection. Visit a few different online retailers and research pants. There is so much you can do. Full leather, kevlar jeans, over pants, armored under pants, etc.

They always say "Dress for the crash, not the ride". Think about what you want to be wearing if you were to crash.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Most of the time, work boots do not have the protection that riding boots have, simply because they aren't designed with the thought of it saving someones ankle in a high speed crash.

With that being said, if they are just steel-toed, non-slip boots, then they won't save your ankle at all in a crash. Better than running shoes? Sure, but, you'll probably still not walk away. (literally)

Your helmet is good, and your jacket should do the job in a fall (though of course leather is best).

Definitely go for a gauntlet glove. Doesn't have to be a full race glove, but the thin breathing gloves rip right up in a crash.

If you want to wear jeans, I recommend getting kevlar reinforced jeans. If I'm going for just a quick ride, that's my choice. If I'm going for a spirited ride, it'll be full leathers.

Reactions: JerzKawiKid

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input fellas. I've heard a little bit about a company I think called dragon jeans? Pretty sure they make the Kevlar jeans you speak of. Any experience with the brand?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Thanks for the input fellas. I've heard a little bit about a company I think called dragon jeans? Pretty sure they make the Kevlar jeans you speak of. Any experience with the brand?
I myself have not had any experience with them, but from all of the good things I have heard about them, they are the jeans I've decided I'll be getting if I ever get Kevlar jeans.

Note there are two different sites for draggin jeans.
The AUS one dragginjeans.net
And the US one dragginjeans.com
The AUS one is the one I've heard all of the good feedback about. Also they have much more to chose from style wise.

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
yep know their products well. in 1996/7 i bought a brand new pair of their jeans and jacket

have washed them no more then about 6 times in their life and they are still going strong. i have a small part of the collar on the inside that is starting to wear out after all these years, but that is all that has gone wrong with them.

best thing is, in 45 degree Celsius heat the garment breaths , unlike leather where you sweat like dog.i dont miss my leathers in the slightest.

i remember when they first came out, they ran an advert that showed a stuntman wearing their gear and they were at a drag strip or airport, i cant remember where, anyhow this guy put on a helmet and gloves and they dragged the stuntman at about 100 kmph or so a few hundred meters, he stood up, you could see the denim ripped from his jeans , the kevlar still intact and no missing skin. i was sold on the spot:D

the photos they have here now

http://dragginjeans.com/

are not the original photo's they had years ago, im positive about it, they were in a lot of aussie motorcycle mags as well

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Check RHOK for kevlar jeans too. I have no personal experience with them, though they seem to be gaining popularity thanks to some motovloggers.

http://www.rhok.com.au/jeans.htm

Don't wear work boots for riding. They're bulkier and heavier than riding boots and don't offer proper protection. Your ankle will still snap right in half wearing them in a crash, and it's going to make it more difficult to feel the shifter on your toes (especially if they're steel toe).

Gauntlets are better. If you get shorties, get decent ones with more leather and strike reinforcements in key areas (knuckles, outer palms). But seriously, get gauntlets.

I have a very similar jacket (Canadian version, called Atomic 10.0). I like it. Well built, lots of optional ventilation on it. Keeps me warm or cool :)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I've been looking at the Dainese jeans. They are expensive, but they have Kevlar woven into the fabric throughout the jean + Kevlar patches on the knees. Some also have armor in the knees and padding in the hips

1 - 9 of 9 Posts