Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Given this site seems to have more new riders than seasoned ones I thought it would be good to bring this old subject up once more. I know it likes beating a dead horse, but people are getting hurt still.

When buying anything, always consider the cost of ownership. When we buy a motorcycle for the first time we tend to think of the normal expenses; insurance, maintenance, gas, etc. One of the most important things you should be factoring in is the cost of your gear. Sure, riding around in 80+ degree weather with a tee-shirt, shorts and sneakers feels great. You might even get away with it for a while, but mark my words you are going to have incident sooner or later and not having all the gear on can ruin your life forever -- or worse!

When buying that first motorcycle, figure in the cost of a good helmet ($150-$450), riding jacket ($100-$500), riding pants ($75-$300), boots ($125-$400), and gloves ($35-$150) as a requirement to owning a motorcycle. As you can see you will be adding another $485-$1800 to cost of ownership. Not buying and trying to get buy without it can be a life changing decision.

If you ride, wear your gear! NO EXCUSES!

There is a wide range of motorcycle protective gear for all weather conditions. The only bad choice is not having it on.

·
Registered
132 Posts
that is a terrible picture, I just bought leathers top to bottom, I was considering not buying pants and when I bought all my gear the girl in the store actually told me that they laugh at people who wear leather pants, but after a month or so of watching videos and reading posts I have now just purchased leather pants !! that picture is brutal!

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
that is a terrible picture, I just bought leathers top to bottom, I was considering not buying pants and when I bought all my gear the girl in the store actually told me that they laugh at people who wear leather pants, but after a month or so of watching videos and reading posts I have now just purchased leather pants !! that picture is brutal!
If you think that is bad you need to see the pic of her in the hospital

·
Registered
193 Posts
If you think that is bad you need to see the pic of her in the hospital
Good post and good idea to keep this topic continually active until it gets hammered into people's heads. I also want to add that cost of gear should not be an excuse whatsoever. Within a few days of browsing local ads I was able to find great condition leather jacket, textile jacket, wrist covered gloves and ankle protected waterproof riding boots all for under $200. My helmet is a great quality HJC which ran me $100 brand new from www.canadasmotorcycle.ca and I plan to obtain riding pants before riding season finally starts. ATGATT.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Someone should make a sticky for what gear new riders should get and what they should look for and where to buy it from like Revzilla or motorcycle gear.com maybe list different helmets and what to look for like full face, pinlock shield, vents.

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
Someone should make a sticky for what gear new riders should get and what they should look for and where to buy it from like Revzilla or motorcycle gear.com maybe list different helmets and what to look for like full face, pinlock shield, vents.
In less its updated every year it wont work very well also we have sponsors on this site that sell gear.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I just wanted to add that you should always get a full face helmet as well. While the bugs may be a smaller factor, Cruising down the highway and taking a decent sized rock to the face would put you in he hospital or outright kill you. Having a car from an opposing lane driving past at 80 mph launch a rock at your face while you're also going 80+ is going to suck with a full face and may be lethal without a full face.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Just wanted to add that a majority of injuries to the head from motorcycle accidents happen to the chin or jaw area. Another reason to get a full face helmet.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Just wanted to add that a majority of injuries to the head from motorcycle accidents happen to the chin or jaw area. Another reason to get a full face helmet.
A good helmet makes such a big difference my cousin was hit by a drunk driver on the freeway his half helmet upon hitting the ground popped up and he smashed his skull and died if he had been wearing a proper helmet he would've had a good chance of making it its shitty because he was a new father and just a week before he was talking about selling his bike so he can be safe for his daughter

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
But full face isn't "cool"... people won't be able to see my really bitchen scull face watchyama jigger face scarf thingamajiggy!

Full face always...period. Even then you can get zapped in the throat by a rock which I know all to well from riding in the desert. Doesn't take much and it hurts like hell. Riding in the dirt really exposes all of the body parts that need to be protected from flying debris. You may feel somewhat foolish at first by gearing up to the gills from top to bottom but learning the hard way is the hardest way to learn. Learn by others mistakes, not your own. My current jacket is still inadequate as it is only "padded" at the shoulders and elbows but better than nothing. Armour is the only way to go on the road.

You do need to try on as many different models, types, levels of protective gear. Walk out to your bike and sit on it before purchasing. What feels good in the store while you are standing up will more than likely feel completely different when sitting in your usual riding position. Gear up but do it right...

·
Registered
655 Posts
Never saw the point to open face helmets it would not take much to face plant the ground.

Rather be hot then take a risk.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
You do need to try on as many different models, types, levels of protective gear. Walk out to your bike and sit on it before purchasing. What feels good in the store while you are standing up will more than likely feel completely different when sitting in your usual riding position. Gear up but do it right...
this is so true, i learnt this years ago. just remember to talk to the salesman before you go walking out the door with all their gear on or they will think your stealing it, & tackle you to the ground, lol

·
Registered
82 Posts
For those of us that ski and wear a helmet, we can all atest to the fact that a open face helmet has no protection to your face, I've eaten a lot of snow! I can't imagine hitting the road with an open face helmet!

·
Registered
728 Posts
I agree. There was this lady who showed up to our MSF course with a half helmet.

Long story short, she grabbed a handful of brakes during our emergency braking exercise, over the bars and landed face first.

Not sure if she broke her jaw but she had lacerations to her face could barely talk.

Needless to say, she didn't come back to finish the course :thumbdown:

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I'm looking at getting pants and longer gloves, but everyone around here only sells jackets. I guess I need to head to cycle gear, I hate riding in jeans, I know I'm asking for it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts