Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
total noob here, have signed up for the safety course and yet to buy the bike. I want to start working on my gear. I will be riding the bike mainly in Spring and Summer and some sunny days in Fall and Winter. My emphasis is on safety and protection than fashion. Please help me spend my money wisely

1. Helmet
2. Jacket
3. Over trousers
4. Gloves.

I'll wear my hiking boots.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Spend some time looking through here http://www.revzilla.com/sportbike-gear There are several different manufactures at several different price levels. Whatever your budget is, just make sure you have enough to get everything you need. And remember that motorcycle specific gear is designed and made for riding. Other types of clothing and boots (like hiking boots) will not protect you in a crash, and crashing is the reason we wear all this gear. Be safe and have fun. :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just got a news that one of my friend with his diavel got into an accident and broke couple of his vertebrae :( wasnt wearing back foam pads in his jacket.

I'm scared as S*** now.

·
Registered
805 Posts
If you're on a budget check out Sedici gear pretty good stuff there are minor issues sometimes with zippers and stuff but they come with a lifetime guarantee that's pretty free of hassles I have boots from them and a slider was loose took em to cycle gear no paperwork they just grabbed me a new box of boots and said have a good day

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just got a news that one of my friend with his diavel got into an accident and broke couple of his vertebrae :( wasnt wearing back foam pads in his jacket.

I'm scared as S*** now.
Riding is a risk. You can reduce the risk by taking classes, wearing gear, taking it slow, your bike having safety features etc. And even of you do all this, you still risk of hurting yourself or dying because of your mistakes or other drivers mistakes. I accept the risks (for now). You decide yourself if the risks are worth it to you.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
- Upgrade the back armor in the jacket to CE rated armor. Most jackets only have a foam pad that's essentially useless.
- Proper riding boots would be much better than hiking boots.
- Full gauntlet gloves will be more protection than short gloves.
- Leather > textile; expensive though so get what you can.

If you want to go even further, I'd get some armored short to wear under your pants. I usually don't wear those for daily riding. Great for if you're riding solely to ride though.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I want to get some good armored jacket and pants. With so many different types and varieties(jacket, inserts, vest) I'm extremely confused any idea where to start.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I would say the biggest thing to decide first is whether you want leather or textile, then narrow it down based on features/price/looks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would say the biggest thing to decide first is whether you want leather or textile, then narrow it down based on features/price/looks.
I have decided to go with Leather. Also look out for the best protection even if it means few dollars more.

·
Banned
196 Posts
Just remember about leather, it doesnt provide much if any impact protection just abrasion protection, also probably cant fit impact protection underneath them. I wear forcefield protection under textile pants and jackets (mesh for hot weather), knee protection, motorcycle boots, motorcycle gloves, and full face.

Alphastar gloves
TCX boots
Tourmaster jacket
Olympia over pants
Shoei full face
Forcefield pro shirt and shorts
Daines knee pads

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Really depends on what you get. My leather jacket has lots of room for additional armor underneath. Overpants would also give you room for armor underneath. Sometimes regular pants can work if they're not super tight and you're particularly small or get a larger size.

What ecustu said is important too. You need both impact and abrasion protection for full protection. Armor gives the impact protection and leather gives the abrasion protection.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm thinking about getting Forcefield Pro armor shirt and pants. Then wear a leather jacket and leather pants (overpants or regular pants) comments?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I think it would be preferred to get armor that is built into your gear. That way it is more likely to fit properly. Also, it makes it so you aren't left with the option to ride without the armor and just the jacket.

It would not be difficult to find a leather jacket with built in armor. Also, keep in mind that textile has come a long way for abrasion protection. Leather is indeed still supreme, however, textile is comparable, and often preferred in hot/wet conditions.

Most crashes don't involve someone sliding down the highway at 100 mph. Often riders crash going under 30 mph, and sustain most of the damage when they hit an immovable object. This emphasizes the need for armor, and not so much high abrasion protection. Aim for CE rated armor, and consider lvl 2 back protectors for the highest protection. The only real difference is textiles will often need to be thrown away after high abrasion incidents, where leather can often survive several slides.

Just browse through the revzilla videos. You can learn a lot from them.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I highly recommend getting the D30 back armor insert. Super light and flexible, rated to CE level 2, and only about $40 IIRC. It's designated for Klim on Revzilla but it fits in other jackets.

What will your primary purpose for riding? All that gear is great, but might not be convenient if you're riding to go somewhere. I would start with gear that's more all-purpose and then add to your gear collection later so that you're not blowing so much money all at once. Built-in armor is perfectly fine if it fits you. I personally don't like it as much but that's because I'm ridiculously tiny and gear just doesn't fit me right.

The Forcefield armor is still great, but make sure you can still have gear that will protect you in the case you don't want to go with the full armored undershirt/pants set-up. For example, I do have a dedicated Forcefield back armor, but I save that for more spirited riding. Every day stuff, I just put the back armor insert back into my jacket and go with that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I highly recommend getting the D30 back armor insert. Super light and flexible, rated to CE level 2, and only about $40 IIRC. It's designated for Klim on Revzilla but it fits in other jackets.

What will your primary purpose for riding? All that gear is great, but might not be convenient if you're riding to go somewhere. I would start with gear that's more all-purpose and then add to your gear collection later so that you're not blowing so much money all at once. Built-in armor is perfectly fine if it fits you. I personally don't like it as much but that's because I'm ridiculously tiny and gear just doesn't fit me right.

The Forcefield armor is still great, but make sure you can still have gear that will protect you in the case you don't want to go with the full armored undershirt/pants set-up. For example, I do have a dedicated Forcefield back armor, but I save that for more spirited riding. Every day stuff, I just put the back armor insert back into my jacket and go with that.
Primary purpose is to commute and ride over the weekends, I'm not going to do much canyoneering.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I would love to do that too, but are there any jackets and overpants which comes without armor but with options for inserts, that way I can buy good quality replacement armors (Forcefield) and insert them.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I would love to do that too, but are there any jackets and overpants which comes without armor but with options for inserts, that way I can buy good quality replacement armors (Forcefield) and insert them.
To my knowledge, you can pretty much always remove the armor in jackets even when it comes with it. After that, you can put whatever you want in there as long as it fits. They don't keep it permanently sewn in.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you want some decent leathers, try taking a look at Cortech and AGV Sport. They make some pretty bang for your buck gear. Gloves and boots included, not just the jacket/pants.

Personally I have multiple gear for different weather.

Shoei RF-1100 helmet
Teknic Mercury Jacket 1 size big for layering on cold days.
Alpinestars Tech 1-R with the bionic chest/race back protector installed for spirited riding. Fits like my own skin, since I have to suck in my chest to zip it up. Once it is on, the jacket forms to your body though.
Teknic Chicane boots.
Alpinestars SP-X gloves for hot days.
Alpinestars GP Pro gloves for spirited riding.
Joe Rocket True North pants (great for the PNW weather, has a removable waterproof liner).

Working on getting Alpinestars GP Plus pants or even the Track pants. I do want to upgrade to a Sidi boot though, for extra ankle protection.

·
Registered
393 Posts
dude go to your local sports store and try everything out and remember name, brand, style, and size, for examply hjc, rapha-10 size large, and get ahold of brad from riders discount and i can guarntee he will beat any prices you can find on any web site/store...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts