Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'Day All,

Just picked up my black Kawasaki Ninja 300 ABS this morning (12 hrs ago) from the dealership. Paid AUS$7200 OTD plus 1% credit card surcharge. Took my laptop with me and also got myself comprehensive insurance for it online while waiting in the shop, paying AUS$360 for AUS$8000 agreed value. I'm glad I did because I almost stacked it going around the roundabout home. I didn't realize how slippery the tyres could be. Will have to real careful now till I break them in, along with the engine. The dealer told me I could do it at 6000rpm and not to exceed 80kmh for the first 1000kms instead of the 4000rpm specified in the book. Bit of a bummer as I wanted to bring it up to speed straight away. I'll have the whole week off next week so I hope to rack up the said 1000kms by the end of it. My first bike was an old black 1989 Kawasaki GPX 250 but it was 13 years ago since I last rode it so time to relearn old skills. One thing for sure, I was really knackered when I got back home and could feel body parts I never realised I had!
I'm hoping to get a Yoshimura R-77 Stainless Steel with Carbon Fibre End Cap slip on (once I can afford it) though I got to say, I actually love the sound of the stock exhaust for some strange reason. I'm also hoping to get a set of Pirelli Diablo Rosso II tyres (once I can also afford those. I think I'm going to be broke for quite some time though:(). I've heard good things about these tyres, though there are those who swear by Bridgestones. I just hope for the time being, I can get these stock tyres to grip better at the rear, as it is quite unnerving going around corners at the moment. I do wish it had the dual stand like the old GPX had. Much easier for lubing the chain and refueling. I'll be getting a bike stand tomorrow for sure. I also wished they could also get both the lights working on low beam instead of just the one...Purely for mean, macho looks and the posing factor (LOL). Other than these few minor gripes, I got to say that I just love this bike. It is just so awesome! I can only imagine what the Ninja 636 is like... Dang! I think I wrote too much here...

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
g'day mate & welcome aboard. we have a few members in perth & W.A. any new set of tyres will be slippery for the first 100 kays or so, and the brake pads need to be bedded in as well.as for insurace i got mine thru the kwaka dealer and mine from memory is just over $400 a year or there abouts plus i have all my accessories covered too.
as for the breakin with the dealer telling you what to do, as with any new motorcycle i have owned, i just rode it like normal off the show room floor & within 2 days of owning it racked up 850 kilometres on it on the highway from Townsville to Cairns and up/down the ranges in Cairns, have over 3500 kilometres on it and has it since Australia day in January 2013.
it would be nice if the bike had a centre stand, but just use some race/paddock stands. i bought mine off ebay, front/rear delivered to my door from NSW for $140

the single head light on low beam is normal, stress less and it is more then effective at night time. if you would like to see some crap head light at night time on low beam, go find a suzuki gsx250f across & you will quickly see the difference between it and the ninja and the ninja leaves it for dead

im one of the ones who swear by bridgestones, the battlax series are awesome, those will be going on mine once i wear out the stockers

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
i dunno where you got that crazy idea from, you need those to be kept on the bike or else the flux capacitor wont work

oh hang on

the flux capacitor only comes with the SE ABS ones, so its cool, do what ever you want

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Welcome! I ride it like normal. Did 145 kms an hour on the highway today. Only 300kms on the clock

Reactions: Tzar Kizitski

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Yep what gammagirl said, just ride it mate. These motors are strong as a bull, you have to have got a lemon for anything much to happen.

Just ride and enjoy!!! But definitely take it easy on those new tyres, and bed those brakes in. Do a couple of soft brakes at low speed, increasing your speed each time. Then do a couple of harder brakes at lower speed, increasing your speed each time. Then do one or two emergency type braking. Not only will this get you used to your braking capacities of the bike, it will help bed in the brakes correctly.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
g'day mate & welcome aboard. we have a few members in perth & W.A. any new set of tyres will be slippery for the first 100 kays or so, and the brake pads need to be bedded in as well.as for insurace i got mine thru the kwaka dealer and mine from memory is just over $400 a year or there abouts plus i have all my accessories covered too.
as for the breakin with the dealer telling you what to do, as with any new motorcycle i have owned, i just rode it like normal off the show room floor & within 2 days of owning it racked up 850 kilometres on it on the highway from Townsville to Cairns and up/down the ranges in Cairns, have over 3500 kilometres on it and has it since Australia day in January 2013.
it would be nice if the bike had a centre stand, but just use some race/paddock stands. i bought mine off ebay, front/rear delivered to my door from NSW for $140

the single head light on low beam is normal, stress less and it is more then effective at night time. if you would like to see some crap head light at night time on low beam, go find a suzuki gsx250f across & you will quickly see the difference between it and the ninja and the ninja leaves it for dead

im one of the ones who swear by bridgestones, the battlax series are awesome, those will be going on mine once i wear out the stockers
Hi Cruizin,

I got my rear stand yesterday from the dealer. Cost me $150. I would have got both front and rear off eBay for that price but I couldn't wait. I have the whole week off work, starting tomorrow so intend on racking up the kms with a well lubed chain. I got to say that lifting the rear on the stand by yourself is quite nerve wracking.

The only concern I have with the break-in speed now is that data recorder. Can they check to see how you have run the engine with it during servicing or is it only for crash investigation? Will I void the warranty? I really do need to get to at least 110kmh for some long distance freeway runs.

With regards to the Bridgestone Battleax tyres, do let us know which ones you'll be getting and how they go. I heard they last quite a bit longer than the Pirelli's. The Dealer I bought the bike from stocks a lot of them so I may go the same way too.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep what gammagirl said, just ride it mate. These motors are strong as a bull, you have to have got a lemon for anything much to happen.

Just ride and enjoy!!! But definitely take it easy on those new tyres, and bed those brakes in. Do a couple of soft brakes at low speed, increasing your speed each time. Then do a couple of harder brakes at lower speed, increasing your speed each time. Then do one or two emergency type braking. Not only will this get you used to your braking capacities of the bike, it will help bed in the brakes correctly.
Will do. I really need to get back into the feel of riding again since it has been quite sometime and this is a very different beast from my old one. The brakes will be a great way to start.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
getting the bike on/off the paddock stand is easy....... if you have a ventura rack like me.

heres what i do

put bike in to 1st and on the side stand
put the race stand under swing arm
stand at back of bike and pull bike up vertically and press down the race stand with a leg/foot all the way down to ground, do it in one smooth motion

or better yet, get ya wife/girl friend / neighbour to stand on the opposite site of the side stand (right side) and get them to lift the bike to the upright position.
reason we want them on the right side is cos the stand is on the left, so if it falls left, the stand *should* save your ass. if it fall right then if they cant hold it, bike lands on them, bike doesn’t get scathed...lol, kidding, but if it does go to fall to the right hopefully the can push it back to the left so it doesn’t hit the deck

once bike is vertical, stand on the race stand and your all good

getting it down obviously is the reverse procedure

the battlax tires i had on my gsx250f across is what i want on my ninja next, but i have a memory blank at this point & cant remember what they were, but i wil going hunting thru my list of stuff for the across as im sure i have it written down & will let you know

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thanks for the EDR link. It would make sense that it would only have a limited recording time. So Plan A for me would be to ride it as I normally would and on the day before I need to take it in for the 1000km service, ride at a pedestrian 80kmh for about 30mins or so. I'm liking this plan already. :)

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Welcome, Black 300's are increasing in numbers.

Btw good luck keeping it under 80 for the first 1000 lol

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Cheers! I'm down the Rockingham area too, so if you're ever down that way and need a riding buddy, give me a holler...

I think I've got around this 80Kmh limit now. See above posts. The EDR info was on page 62 of the Kawasaki manual, which was why I was initially concerned.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts