Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

Gas Spills annoy me

3K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Trapped_in_GNV 
#1 ·
i don't mean wantonly and willingly spilling gas.
i mean when you go to place it in and the tank and as you tip it over, the unused excess from the guy in front of you that's already in front of the pump spills out. today i was buying gas and as i was about to insert the nozzle into the tank (meaning heaving above 90 degrees) all the unused excess spilled all over the exterior of my bike. i wiped it off and up as quickly as i could but doesn't mean i like having gas spilled on it!!! it better not do anything to the finish!!!!:mad:

#2 ·
You should try to clean off gas as good as you can because the acid in it over time can eat away clearcoat.

My buddies gas tank got ruined by gas. Chipped the paint right off, though it was an older bike.

There's a method to inserting and removing the tip into the hole so it doesn't make a mess everywhere.

#3 ·
You should try to clean off gas as good as you can because the acid in it over time can eat away clearcoat.

My buddies gas tank got ruined by gas. Chipped the paint right off, though it was an older bike.

There's a method to inserting and removing the tip into the hole so it doesn't make a mess everywhere.

rofl

back ON topic... even holding the angle above vertical as long as possible, as soon as i tipped it over to place it in the hole, it proceeded to flow out and splash over onto the exterior rather than into said hole. made me so irritated grrr.... i used the complimentary paper towls to mop and absorb but still!

#5 ·
I've never encountered a pump where so much fuel is left behind in the nozzle that it causes a problem like that :\ It's usually just a few drops, which is manageable by waiting until it's over the filler neck before tilting it.

Once I'm done fuelling up, I shake the nozzle in the filler neck to make sure no gas drips out when I put the nozzle back. I'm not sure why more people don't do this. You paid for the gas people, take it lol

#6 ·
I've never encountered a pump where so much fuel is left behind in the nozzle that it causes a problem like that :\ It's usually just a few drops, which is manageable by waiting until it's over the filler neck before tilting it.

Once I'm done fuelling up, I shake the nozzle in the filler neck to make sure no gas drips out when I put the nozzle back. I'm not sure why more people don't do this. You paid for the gas people, take it lol
nope seriously this was a shower. NORMALLY it is as you state, only a few drips if anything. this was about $.15 worth of gas (at USD/Gal. price of ~$3.30 in my area)

#7 ·
Ive learned this from my old bike, take nozzle, bang against pump, insert, pump, then as britt would do, lift hose with gas nozzle still in tank, tap against metal insert baffle and remove while turning at 45 degrees

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Motorcycle.com Free App

#8 ·
You'll be fine. I have a Vespa that has a tiny gas tank opening and stem plus it is dark inside and you cannot see a thing, so routinely some gas shoots out the top and gets on my paint. Like you I wipe it off. I've done this a dozen or more times and the paint is perfect. Maybe the paint is better on modern bikes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.