Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my bike, and it was delivered, it had a full tank. I've been breaking it in slowly, so most of the time my ECO light is ON. I have 135 miles or so on her, but I have 2 bars left of gas. Is this because it's the first tank and a new bike? Does it settle out, and get better? Maybe it wasn't topped off completely, and just enough to read as a full tank? Any information would be awesome if anyone else had a similar issue and concern.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Are you doing city stop and go riding mostly or highway? My city driving got me maybe 150 miles to a near full tank. So not sure whats going on myself either.

·
Registered
523 Posts
When I bought my bike, and it was delivered, it had a full tank. I've been breaking it in slowly, so most of the time my ECO light is ON. I have 135 miles or so on her, but I have 2 bars left of gas. Is this because it's the first tank and a new bike? Does it settle out, and get better? Maybe it wasn't topped off completely, and just enough to read as a full tank? Any information would be awesome if anyone else had a similar issue and concern.
Ride until the last bar begins to flash (the equivalent of your "low gas" light on your car, so not something I recommend to do on a regular basis) and fill up to check your actual gas mileage. The gauge on my bike tends to fluctuate quite a bit, so I don't put a whole lot of stock in it. You should get around 250 miles to a tank in city driving even getting on the throttle quite a bit, or about 55 mpg. I don't think pre- or post-break in really matters.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My first tank went much quicker than it does now. I do think break in has something to do with it. Don't worry, it will improve.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Gas mileage is going to vary. City driving even with the ECO light on is going to consume more gas than driving at a constant speed on the highway with the ECO light on.

Another thing to consider is cold gas vs hot gas which you can read about here:

http://www.energyandcapital.com/articles/hot-gas-consumer/346

Essentially if you put 5 gallons of gasoline in your tank that's been heated to say 75 degrees once it cools down in your tank you've actually got less gas in there than you paid for.

Another consideration is what type of gas was used. Octane will play a minor part, as well as the ethanol content of the gas (most gas stations do gas/ethanol mixes).

From Wikipedia
In theory, all fuel-driven vehicles have a fuel economy (measured as miles per US gallon, or liters per 100 km) that is directly proportional to the fuel's energy content.[54] In reality, there are many other variables that come into play that affect the performance of a particular fuel in a particular engine. Ethanol contains approx. 34% less energy per unit volume than gasoline, and therefore in theory, burning pure ethanol in a vehicle will result in a 34% reduction in miles per US gallon, given the same fuel economy, compared to burning pure gasoline. Since ethanol has a higher octane rating, the engine can be made more efficient by raising its compression ratio. In fact using a variable turbocharger, the compression ratio can be optimized for the fuel being used, making fuel economy almost constant for any blend.[25][26] For E10 (10% ethanol and 90% gasoline), the effect is small (~3%) when compared to conventional gasoline,[55] and even smaller (1–2%) when compared to oxygenated and reformulated blends.[56] For E85 (85% ethanol), the effect becomes significant. E85 will produce lower mileage than gasoline, and will require more frequent refueling. Actual performance may vary depending on the vehicle. Based on EPA tests for all 2006 E85 models, the average fuel economy for E85 vehicles resulted 25.56% lower than unleaded gasoline.[57] The EPA-rated mileage of current USA flex-fuel vehicles[58] should be considered when making price comparisons, but E85 is a high performance fuel, with an octane rating of about 94–96, and should be compared to premium.[59] In one estimate[60] the US retail price for E85 ethanol is 2.62 US dollar per gallon or 3.71-dollar corrected for energy equivalency compared to a gallon of gasoline priced at 3.03-dollar. Brazilian cane ethanol (100%) is priced at 3.88-dollar against 4.91-dollar for E25 (as July 2007).
While the break in may play a small role in the gas mileage your seeing, I would venture to say your driving style, the type of gas that was put into the motorcycle and where it was purchased probably play a much larger role in the gas mileage your seeing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ride until the last bar begins to flash (the equivalent of your "low gas" light on your car, so not something I recommend to do on a regular basis) and fill up to check your actual gas mileage. The gauge on my bike tends to fluctuate quite a bit, so I don't put a whole lot of stock in it. You should get around 250 miles to a tank in city driving even getting on the throttle quite a bit, or about 55 mpg. I don't think pre- or post-break in really matters.
This is what I did on my first tank. Got it down until it started flashing and filled just over 3 gallons. I had 173 miles of all city driving.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
as it only costs me $10 to fill up i ain't even worried about it. as soon as that last bar begins to flash i'll fill up whether it's in two weeks or two days. $10 beats $40 everytime, all the time.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Don't forget even with the Eco light on in between how you're riding, how much stop and go traffic your in, Aswell as other things will affect your mpg. Heck I can go 0-60 as fast as the bike will allow me to and still have that Eco light turn on when I hit 60mph. I've had a full tank last me 300miles and have had a full tank only last me 150miles

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
92 Posts
I usually get about 150 miles before the light starts flashing, but when I fill up I only need 3 gallons, so my tank wasn't completely empty.

Overall it appears to be about 50 mpg, and I ride HARD, so no complaints here.

-THE DON

·
Registered
70 Posts
If the bike runs like how OBDII runs on a car it will take a while to get the fuel trims calculated and adjusted. After a few tanks it all should be set.

Im not sure how the engine is controlled on these bikes, i would love to know more to see what can be adjusted in the computer with the tuners out there.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Ya it seems the ECO light takes time to catch up and adjust to the speed of the 300! lol

·
Registered
399 Posts
as it only costs me $10 to fill up i ain't even worried about it. as soon as that last bar begins to flash i'll fill up whether it's in two weeks or two days. $10 beats $40 everytime, all the time.
Am I missing something...it only costs you $10 to fill up?

Almost 5 gallons for $10? Plant City, Lakeland, Tarpon Springs? Not even GA is that cheap. Do you have a direct tap to the Alaskan Pipeline?

How do I sign up for that?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Am I missing something...it only costs you $10 to fill up?

Almost 5 gallons for $10? Plant City, Lakeland, Tarpon Springs? Not even GA is that cheap. Do you have a direct tap to the Alaskan Pipeline?

How do I sign up for that?
Simple. The tank isn't empty yet when it begins flashing I just find it annoying and a visual distraction since the eye is attracted to motion or movement and gas only costs about $3.35 or so over in pinellas

·
Registered
399 Posts
OK.

I was trying to make sense of 4 1/2 gallons at NY prices of $3.95.

In Oldsmar you can easily choose to go to Tampa or Clearwater.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
OK.

I was trying to make sense of 4 1/2 gallons at NY prices of $3.95.

In Oldsmar you can easily choose to go to Tampa or Clearwater.
You pretty much pegged it... you from the area?

Anyways there's a few stations on McMullen-booth that are regularly ten fifteen heck sometimes even twenty cents cheaper than the same franchise over in Tampa on Hillsborough ave. Dunno why, whether it has to do with gas tax or what but... I guess tbh.it's more like twelve dollars since I purposely use premium but still compared to a car, twelve is NOTHING

1 - 20 of 20 Posts