Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished a ride and headed down to an empty parking lot and practiced some SLOW turns like you do at the MSF course. Did OK.

Then tried making a slow, 360 degree turn with the bars at full-lock. Couldn't do it without putting a foot down.

Give it a go [safely!!] and report back ;)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Sounds like a mastery of the friction zone, to me.

I've tried this and had to have my feet off the pegs and hovering above the ground. The bike seemed a bit too unstable for my comfort level, but I suppose more practice is the solution. ;)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Speed has to be just right. I've done this numerous times and speed is the key!
true and shifting your weight to the opposite side of the turn and perhaps some peg pressure

would be cool to see a video if anyone pulls it off:D

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had to do this to get my liceans since I took the dmv test and not the msf course. You have to do it counter clockwise and clockwise here in cali. Trick is pull in the clutch a little and letting it in and out right at the friction point. Also feathering your front brake. Or set your idle a little higher so it keeps you going at just that perfect speed while feathering ur brake. The circle here has two lines your front tire has to stay in the middle of. If it gos out or you put a foot down its automatical fail. I passed first try. I grew up riding dirt bikes from the age 10 though.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had to do this to get my liceans since I took the dmv test and not the msf course. You have to do it counter clockwise and clockwise here in cali. Trick is pull in the clutch a little and letting it in and out right at the friction point. Also feathering your front brake. Or set your idle a little higher so it keeps you going at just that perfect speed while feathering ur brake. The circle here has two lines your front tire has to stay in the middle of. If it gos out or you put a foot down its automatical fail. I passed first try. I grew up riding dirt bikes from the age 10 though.
I am talking about having your handlebars turned to the STOP and making a 360 degree turn... not just doing the DMV circle or the MSF figure 8. ;)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Good job!

When you do the 'counter steering' (leaning your body on the outside of the turn and the bike to the inside of the turn), you're hanging off very well, but you're not leaning the bike too much. Try leaning the bike more and your turn will be tighter.

When doing slow tight turns, it helps a lot to raise your butt a bit off the seat. Put more pressure on your feet and hug hard the tank with the knees. Actually raising the butt off the seat helps in pretty much any turn.

I also keep a bit of pressure on the rear brake to control speed. That way, you have to ways to control speed, throttle and brake.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I was new [after 20+ years absence] to motorcycles when I did the MSF in Pennsylvania to get my license and the figure-8 was the toughest challenge for sure.
I practiced in our driveway for hours on my brand new Ninja 300, and was never particularly comfortable with tight turns.
Doing such a turn with fully locked bars: forgeddaboudid! :)

(BTW, we are responding here to a 7-year old thread.....just say'in! 😜)

·
Registered
365 Posts
^^ The original post is old, but @Kawasakibarber brought it back to life to show his practice and results.

For me, it's always fun to play in the parking lot. Tight turns, full locks, full leans, burn out's, wheelies? (I can't do wheelies but I keep trying once in a while)

·
Registered
459 Posts
^^ The original post is old, but @Kawasakibarber brought it back to life to show his practice and results.
Actually, Kawasakibarber just copied the 7-year old video from A. Jay who posted it earlier in the thread. Kawasakibarber only added a 'Lol' to the discussion! 🧐

For me, it's always fun to play in the parking lot. Tight turns, full locks, full leans, burn out's, wheelies? (I can't do wheelies but I keep trying once in a while)
👍
Although I am not a burn-out or wheely kind of person, the tight turn practice and slow manouvering I also recommend to every Ninja 300 owner.
Makes me want to do that right now again.....I have been slacking at this, and agree that it's quite fun.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts