Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I'm from australia I have done about 950 kms on my bike and filled it up 3 times the first time I filled it up was about 15 kms after the fuel gauge light came on when I filled up I noticed the bike only took about 11 litres I know the bike has a 17 litre tank and a reserve in that but surly there is not 6 litres of reserve fuel just abit confused don't know wether the go by the fuel gauge or just assume the reserve tank is 6 litres, this has happened with all three refills that were filled right to the top if anyone knows anything please share with me lol

Cheers

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got 343kms out of my tank and refilled with 11 and abit litres

But does this mean I can ride another 100kms before the fuel runs out to run out the last 6 litres or should I just refil when it flashes on the fuel gauge?
I just don't understand why a 17 litre tank is flashing empty after only using 11 litres since full, could the gauge be out?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
44 Posts
when you guys fill the bike make sure it is straight, by straight i mean 90 degrees or perpendicular to the floor. if you fill it while it is on the kick stand you wont be able to fill the tank completely. :)

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
i just double checked the manual, it says the last bar of the fuel gauge will blink with there is 3.5 litres (0.9 us gal) left

it does have a 17 litre tank, so if yours is flashing and there is 6 litres left, i would talk to your dealer and get it recalibrated.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My Fuel Gauge is acting odd. It fluctuates while i am riding showing only a few bars, but the next day when i turn the bike on, it shows the tank is almost full. What the heck? Ive only put 340 miles on the bike and have not had the first service yet. Anyone having this issue?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Fuel bars, don't put your trust in 'em

Mine did that for the first 2 tanks and it drove me nuts.* The top segment is the shortest duration, if I fill the tank more than the book calls for, I get 20 miles (about .3 gallon). The second, third, fourth and fifth bars yield as little as 45 miles to near 60 miles each, depending on how the bike is ridden. Have filled up 7 times, the last five tanks I traveled 225 miles on 3.333 gallons, so 67.5 mpg. Based on 4.5 gallons capacity, the last bar on mine comes on at 1.2 gallons remaining, I run 20 miles, so yes .9 gallon is remaining when the flashing begins. Did this one time and put 3.5 gallons in, when I put 3.333 in, its showing the bottom two bars, just before it goes to the last bar. * Answer: don't take it back yet, wait it out. My gauge is working fine, but like my Fiat 500 (with 8 bars) this stuff is flaky at best.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
My Fuel Gauge is acting odd. It fluctuates while i am riding showing only a few bars, but the next day when i turn the bike on, it shows the tank is almost full. What the heck? Ive only put 340 miles on the bike and have not had the first service yet. Anyone having this issue?
What the heck?!? Its not an issue mate its your fuel moving around in your tank when you ride. I can have half a tank showing when I finish riding but hey presto, when I start her up the next ride I have magically more fuel!! You will get an accurate measure when your bike is upright and hasnt been ridden recently.

Not rocket science really....... liquid tends to move around. Put some water in a measuring jug, run around your backyard and try to get an accurate reading.......bet you cant. Same shit, different bucket.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
What the heck?!? Its not an issue mate its your fuel moving around in your tank when you ride. I can have half a tank showing when I finish riding but hey presto, when I start her up the next ride I have magically more fuel!! You will get an accurate measure when your bike is upright and hasnt been ridden recently.

Not rocket science really....... liquid tends to move around. Put some water in a measuring jug, run around your backyard and try to get an accurate reading.......bet you cant. Same shit, different bucket.
Exactly. The most common type of fuel sensor is the mechanical float type. A float connected by a metal rod that is linked to a resistor. As the float moves down, the connecting arm also moves and at it's end the variable resistor resistance is increased. The flow rate at the resistor is sent to the gauge and that's what you see as fuel level. The more that float goes down through loss of fuel, the higher the resistance and the closer your gauge moves towards E. Most gauges can't measure all the way to the bottom of the tank. So when it displays E there is still usually quite a bit of residual fuel left inside of the tank. The more expensive systems that rely much more heavily on fuel accuracy (aka aircraft) have a float and sensor that goes all the way down next to the fuel and sump pump instead of a float at the top.

I haven't yet seen inside of my ninja's tank yet(don't really care yet really either,) but I would probably say it's the basic single top floating resistor type and not the multi-sensor type that are used in high end cars and aircraft.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts