Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else having this same "issue" or is that working as intended? At that rate, the gauge should show 0 bars with ~25% fuel left. Our bike doesn't have a "gas reserve" switch -- is "reserve" usually required at ~25% gas left? Also, the "low gas" light still haven't come on yet...is it supposed to come on at 0 bars?

As a side note, I've been getting 59mpg with fairly normal and mixed street/freeway riding. So with 0 bars left, I should be able to go another 66 miles.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. Upright while fueling. At 0 bars I was expecting to put in like 4-4.5 galons of gas but it was all the way filled after putting in like 2.86 galons.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
What point are you filling the tank up to?

If you put the nozzle into the tank and fill until the pump stops (like you would a car), you're not filling the tank completely. You have to hold the nozzle at the top of the tank and slowly fill the tank until the fuel is level with the top of the fuel neck (unpainted aluminum ring).

·
Registered
215 Posts
Also, it is probably best to keep filling up even if you have over a gallon of gas left. Running the bike with a little amount of gas in it is not very good for the bike.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Well, just keep in mind that motorcycle fuel gauges are inherently inaccurate. The fuel is constantly splashing around, and the only time you'll get a relatively accurate read is when the bike is at a stop and upright.

Unlike a car, the gauge is only there to give you a rough estimate (it's certainly much more convenient than the previous method of checking which was waiting until you ran out of gas and then flipping to your reserve).

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Well, just keep in mind that motorcycle fuel gauges are inherently inaccurate. The fuel is constantly splashing around, and the only time you'll get a relatively accurate read is when the bike is at a stop and upright.

Unlike a car, the gauge is only there to give you a rough estimate (it's certainly much more convenient than the previous method of checking which was waiting until you ran out of gas and then flipping to your reserve).
My cruiser doesn't have a fuel gauge. :( I have to use my trip meter to keep an eye on my fuel. Although it speeds up mental math when it comes to calculating routes. I'm also better at planning trips out to ensure I have the required gas stations en-route with a fall back location between each point in case something goes wrong or I get lower mileage than calculated.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Fuel gauge quandry . . . a study / results:

Yeah, I'm filling it up to the fuel neck and the gauge shows full bars after filling.
If you consider the bottom bar as "first" or #1 of six bars, in seven tanks FULL I have found that the top bar stays lit for 15-20 miles. The next 4 bars I get 50 miles each. The blinking occurs around 15 miles after running on only the lower (first) bar. At this point I can put in 3.4 gallons, so I am saying the first bar represents 1.2 gallons, bars 2-5 = .75 gallon. The top bar is approx. .25 gallon if tank is FULL. This study confirms my cumulative mileage of 67 m.p.g. over the first 1,500 miles in 13 weeks. Kawasaki didn't want us to run out-of-gas, so the bottom bar represents over a gallon (plus the blinking trying to say "hey, gettin' thirsty here").

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've been going to work in mine everyday this week and my light started blinking when I got to work today from a fill up sunday. I'll check my mpg on this app I use and then start using my trip meter. I really hate digital meters because they are need accurate. My truck has a hand and I know exactly when I'm about to run out of gas even when it says low fuel but when I drive my wife's car I can never tell once it leaves the full mark. Good luck with your study

I told my dealer about my gauge and he said they aren't accurate and u need to use your trip meter but when I was buying the bike he pointed out how accurate the meter was... I was like wtf lol

·
Registered
167 Posts
running on fumes . . .

It would be nice if, when picking-up the new bike, the paperwork included a slip of paper showing the amount of gas they put in. I repeatedly fill-up at 230-240 miles with 3.3 - 3.4 gallons and there doesn't seem to be much left. Well past the "blinking", most ever was 3.5 gals. Don't know where it is hiding, but there should be a gallon of gas in there somewhere. Anybody with a 4+ gallon fill-up out there? Kawi says 4.5 gallons . . . hmmm - don't like pushing motorcycles, do you?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sorry folks, ran out-of-gas . . . almost

Drain it with a twist of the wrist. On the deserted road I lived on I
intentionally ran my Enduro dry just to know. It is carbureted, these are fuel-injected, so I'm just not doing it. All I know is before I pumped in a little over 3.5 gallons, I shook the 300 side to side and didn't hear much.

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
Drain it with a twist of the wrist. On the deserted road I lived on I
intentionally ran my Enduro dry just to know. It is carbureted, these are fuel-injected, so I'm just not doing it. All I know is before I pumped in a little over 3.5 gallons, I shook the 300 side to side and didn't hear much.
Use a lighter so you can really see down in the tank:D.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Using "fire" from afar

bryce;43112 You need a blow torch so u can see in the tank. Lol [COLOR=gray said:
Couple of wise guys, eh? Anybody knows you use the most powerful light source around. Free on most days. The sun and a little "compact" mirror will put plenty of light where needed, so that's what I did. NO fuel to be seen down there, so where's it hiding? Could dip some type of flexible stick inside, though we shouldn't have to resort to something I would not do to my lawn mower. ( To cruizin: Well, me too. 17 litres = 4.493 gallons, so we're good, no doubts here.)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts