Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I been experincing a problem with my front brake caliper/pads. i first noticed that the right front brake pad fully wore down at about 3-4k km while the left hand side was pretty much new. While this was strange i didnt put much attention to it so bought from amazon the ebc FA197HH brake pads, installed them and broke them in. after about 1k km i noticed a whistle coming from the front tire and got a bit higher as i speeded up so after checking for the possible cause i noticed that again, the front right hand side brake pad is noticeable more worn down that the front left hand side.

my thoughts are that the problem resides on the calipper not returning all the way after letting go of the brake lever. i can confirm that the pad is rubbing against the rotor by shutting down the engine and rocking the bike back and forth, i can clearly hear the break pad rubbing.

after this, i took apart the break pads from the calipper and put a little grease on both pins where the pads hooks slide but after a few kilometers the rubbing sound appeard again!

anyone having this same problem? any fix for this? im thinking to machine the pins 1 mm down help avoidinf the pads from getting stuck on the pins so they can fully return but i dont know if this could help.

sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've read up in few threads that people have this issue. I don't personally so I haven't looked into it much, but people say the stock caliper is of a..... Lower quality. It might just be something about the nature of the parts. Idk if machining the pins or machining new ones of a smaller size would be the best idea, might leave a little bit to much play in the system (not a fan of moding the break system in non traditional ways without extensive research, trial, and error.) I would say look for a higher quality caliper for the three hundred or 250r (im pretty sure they fit) and slap the sucker on. See if it remedies your issue. :rolleyes:

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would say look for a higher quality caliper for the three hundred or 250r (im pretty sure they fit) and slap the sucker on. See if it remedies your issue. :rolleyes:

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I looked for some brembo calipers on hardracing.com but waaay to pricey!

Warranty?
Well, here in Mexico warranty is kind of difficult to be requested/applied, cant imagine how a tedious process is so I would prefer another method

Ill disassemble the caliper, re-grease the pistons and see where it gets me... ill post some pictures when i get it done. thanks for your replies!

·
Registered
113 Posts
From page 12-18 of the Service Manual:

Caliper Holder Pin Inspection

The caliper body must slide smoothly on the caliper holder pins. If the body does not slide smoothly, one pad will wear more than the other, pad wear will increase, and constant drag on the disc will raise brake and brake fluid temperature.

Check to see that the caliper holder pins are not badly worn or stepped, and that the rubber boots are not damaged.

If the caliper holder pin is damage, inspect the caliper holder for warp or deformation. If the caliper holder is in good condition, replace the caliper holder pins.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts