Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe it's not as touchy because it's now adjusted closer to my fingers reach and I have more control. (before I pretty much had to brake with my fingertips)

On the freeway there were several stops where I didn't feel like it was stopping as good as before. Maybe it's just psychology. Or maybe it's because now it's closer to my fingers reach and I'm not squeezing it hard enough. (when it was far from my fingers reach I barely had to squeeze it much).

At any rate, in either case I'm concerned because looking at the levers, it looks like it's slight pressing into that rubber thing even when fully released. Also there's like zero play with the lever. I'm not sure if that's causing any issues.

I've heard that some poorly manufactured brake levers might cause problems due to poor contact with that rubber thing. But this is ASV we're talking about.

What's the best way to verify that the brake lever is adjusted properly? For example how do I make sure that it's not always engaging the breaks slightly and thus add pressure into the hydraulic system all the time?

·
Registered
392 Posts
They say stock levers are best. I've heard of things going wrong with some aftermarket stuff.

·
Registered
420 Posts
This is weird. My stock levers felt sloppy compared to the ASV levers.

Check your brake light if it stays lit up (like when you squeeze your brake) then you may have a prob. Otherwise no issue, the brake light switch will go on before the brake engages.

I'm no expert so feel free to correct me.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
839 Posts
I have to agree with some of the others that I love my adjustable shorty levers over the stocks, the stock levers had WAY too much play in them to me.

·
Registered
78 Posts
So, any recommendations for good aftermarket levers? I was planning to keep my 300 pretty close to stock, but I am now getting the urge to make a few mods. Shorty levers look much better, and the fact that you can adjust them to suit your needs/preferences is a HUGE plus.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Maybe it's not as touchy because it's now adjusted closer to my fingers reach and I have more control. (before I pretty much had to brake with my fingertips)

On the freeway there were several stops where I didn't feel like it was stopping as good as before. Maybe it's just psychology. Or maybe it's because now it's closer to my fingers reach and I'm not squeezing it hard enough. (when it was far from my fingers reach I barely had to squeeze it much).

At any rate, in either case I'm concerned because looking at the levers, it looks like it's slight pressing into that rubber thing even when fully released. Also there's like zero play with the lever. I'm not sure if that's causing any issues.

I've heard that some poorly manufactured brake levers might cause problems due to poor contact with that rubber thing. But this is ASV we're talking about.

What's the best way to verify that the brake lever is adjusted properly? For example how do I make sure that it's not always engaging the breaks slightly and thus add pressure into the hydraulic system all the time?

Have a friend handy. With the side stand down, lever the bike over so the front wheel is off the ground. Spin the wheel slowly, you should have the lightest contact of the brake pads to the rotor.

If you have been riding it then it is probably fine. If they are dragging they create excessive heat and the fluid can/will expand locking the wheel.

·
Banned
613 Posts
I've had 2 sets of pazzos. Great lever just kinda expensive.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I have generic made in china ones from ebay, love them...

·
Registered
463 Posts
i have some strada7 shorty levers and i love them over the stock, maybe you need to squeeze harder the lever?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just put ASV F3 levers on mine and it is a HUGE improvement. I love the adjustability, I have them sitting a bit closer to the bar than the stockers. I think you are right that it may be in your head, just a different feel than stock and you aren't use to it yet.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts