Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,

I just carried out a brake fluid change on my 2013 Ninja 300 SE ABS front and rear brake. The front reservoir screws were a pain - as they were very soft and stuck I stripped them and then had to drill them out and replace them. I couldn't find information on these screws anywhere so had to measure them up myself. They are M4 x 12mm countersunk. I ended up having to order them from Queensland. They came in a much harder zinc coated (corrosion resistant?) steel with a choice of drive. I ended up opting for flathead just so I don't risk stripping them again but I also have allen key ones in case I feel like changing them.

Hope this helps Ninja riders who face this issue in future.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everybody,

I just carried out a brake fluid change on my 2013 Ninja 300 SE ABS front and rear brake. The front reservoir screws were a pain - as they were very soft and stuck I stripped them and then had to drill them out and replace them. I couldn't find information on these screws anywhere so had to measure them up myself. They are M4 x 12mm countersunk. I ended up having to order them from Queensland. They came in a much harder zinc coated (corrosion resistant?) steel with a choice of drive. I ended up opting for flathead just so I don't risk stripping them again but I also have allen key ones in case I feel like changing them.

Hope this helps Ninja riders who face this issue in future.
My man. Thank you so much, I had exactly the same problem

·
Registered
444 Posts
I've used a Torx bit jammed into the opening to remove them if they are chewed-up. Works sometimes, and is safer than drilling.

We have used stainless steel M4 x 12mm flat-head (Allen head) socket screws. Coat the threads with blue threadlocker to prevent corrosion.

·
Registered
484 Posts
LOL. Did exactly the same thing last week, striped the two bolts on the front brake reservoir.
The OEM parts on line shop would charge me $16 for the two little suckers. I went to home depot and found some decent SS 4mm phillps head that fit perfectly. 50c each.
Probably a good idea to replace them more often.

I also drilled and used the extractor to pull them out, but the torx system seems a better idea.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I don't think there are any fasteners on a cycle that are more prone to corroding and seizing.

Chances are, if they haven't been removed recently, they are going to get chewed-up on the way out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts