Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have been having a problem with my front brake. When I push the bike backwards and apply the front brake it ends up binding when I try to go forward. After riding a bit it stops binding. Sometimes this happens when I just apply the brake when it is stopped. But it does stop binding after riding a little and apply the brake while I am riding. It is a 2014 ABS.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Sounds like it needs to be taken apart, cleaned, and lubed.

The sliding "pins" are most likely not sliding properly. They need to move easily. Old dry grease can make them stiff. Clean out all the grease and use a light synthetic grease like SuperLube. Don't use too much or it will stop the pin from sliding inward completely. Also clean around the rubber boot and flush/bleed the system when you are done.

If the pads are thin, replace them as well. Clean and degrease the rotor. Be prepared to bed the pads in on your first outing.

·
Registered
84' Goldwing Aspencade, 91' EX500, 98' Ninja 250 w/ 17' 300 engine, 07 EX500
87 Posts
This should answer all your questions hopefully

Reactions: jkv45

·
Registered
464 Posts
My first thought is something has to be a bit loose. Applying the brakes while rolling backwards shifts something to a funny angle due to some slop somewhere, and then causes problems while going forward. Eventually, going forward knocks it back into place.
Could be any number of things. I'd think most likely would be slide pins or pistons getting crooked. The more worn the pads, the more likely the pistons are to get jammed.
Check that the pads are wearing evenly. Anything that affects alignment between the pad and rotor is going to cause uneven wear (front/back on one pad). Is it possible to attach some photos of the pads, side-on to see thickness?
When you are just stopped, do you happen to be facing uphill when you notice the binding? Holding the bike still against rolling backwards applies similar forces to braking while rolling backwards.

Full disclosure, I haven't had the pleasure of working on the Ninja brakes yet, but I've serviced plenty of car brakes (cheaper than going to a shop, and I like getting greasy for some reason).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I forgot to mention that I have taken the assembly apart and regreased everything, except for taking the piston out and replacing the piston seals. The problem still happened. I also bought new pads and they didn't work at all (they were binding from the start and never work even after riding for a bit. I ended up putting the old pads back on. At least then they would stop binding after a riding a little. I guess I need to take the pistons out and make sure there is no dirt on them and replace the seals. I am just afraid of getting air into the
ABS unit. Does anyone know if that is hard to bleed if air gets in it?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Thanks, I forgot to mention that I have taken the assembly apart and regreased everything, except for taking the piston out and replacing the piston seals. The problem still happened. I also bought new pads and they didn't work at all (they were binding from the start and never work even after riding for a bit. I ended up putting the old pads back on. At least then they would stop binding after a riding a little. I guess I need to take the pistons out and make sure there is no dirt on them and replace the seals. I am just afraid of getting air into the
ABS unit. Does anyone know if that is hard to bleed if air gets in it?
One of the pads has a little fork on it that engages a pin, right? What's the condition of this pin?
Can you compare the old pads to the new pads, see if there's any weird wear on the old pads (or a non-conformity on the new ones)? Check the backing as well as the pad material itself.
I'm trying to figure out fitment-wise why the old pad works better than the new pad. Sounds like something is misaligned and the old pads have worn in such a way they sort of work.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Something obviously isn't right. The piston may be hanging-up.

Make sure the caliper is moving smoothly on the pins.

I wouldn't ride until you have it fixed.

·
Registered
84' Goldwing Aspencade, 91' EX500, 98' Ninja 250 w/ 17' 300 engine, 07 EX500
87 Posts
If the OP is worried about having to bleed the system, he has not fully disassembled the caliper.

I personally think when the OP pushed the piston back into the caliper it probably pushed some junk or grudge back in there and the seal probably got a little bit messed up maybe Don't know.

But when you change brake pads complete caliper disassembly is a must to make sure your brakes are operating at optimal levels.

Anything less is irresponsible and my personal opinion

1 - 8 of 8 Posts