Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear N300 fanatics,

I just bought a 2017 N300 KRT with 400 miles on it.

Is it normal the friction zone is really at the beginning of the lever travel (like quarter inch of lever action) ?

I've driven many motorcycles including my Ninja 1000 2012 that I currently own and I've never had the travel so short to disengage the clutch it feels really weird for me.

Normal disengagement is middle travel (or almost close to the bar) for me like all the other bikes I've ridden.

Thanks!

Laurent

·
Registered
23 Posts
Congrats!

Did you check the slack/adjust with the little round knurled wheel at the end of the clutch cable at the lever bracket? This is a very basic adjustment, hopefully you know and it’s something else not that! Even videos on YouTube “how to adjust the clutch FreePlay”

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats!

Did you check the slack/adjust with the little round knurled wheel at the end of the clutch cable at the lever bracket? This is a very basic adjustment, hopefully you know and it’s something else not that! Even videos on YouTube “how to adjust the clutch FreePlay”
No I didn't yet ,,, but I suspect at 400 miles it's still on the dealer adjustment and the lever play feels right,,, still has the 2017 oil inside that I need to get rid ASAP.

I just read the clutch is different (light spring?) on the Ninja 300 compared to 600cc+ bikes I was wondering if the dealer made bad adjustment from bike assembly or the N300 is like that.

Thanks for the reply and welcome. I am member on KawasakiNinja1000.com not sure if this forum is related.

·
Super Moderator
696 Posts
Make sure the lever has a little play when fully released, probably 1 or 2mm. Other than that, if it engages and disengages well, then it should be fine.

Mine has 18k miles and it feels right. It disengages the clutch in the first half of the lever travel and I regularly check the lever play.

·
Premium Member
84' Goldwing Aspencade, 91' EX500, 98' Ninja 250 w/ 17' 300 engine, 07 EX500
187 Posts
Here's a link from the old ninja250 wiki. While what is shown is an old Ninja 250, it is very close to your 300.

Adjusting the clutch cable is a two step process, not just the fine adjustment on the clutch lever.

Hope this helps you out.

Reactions: iahawk

·
Administrator
2,690 Posts
Thinking back to when I had the stock levers, I don’t recall needing to pull it all that far in to hit the friction zone. With my CRG adjustable levers, on the #2 setting, it’s about midway to hit it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thinking back to when I had the stock levers, I don’t recall needing to pull it all that far in to hit the friction zone. With my CRG adjustable levers, on the #2 setting, it’s about midway to hit it.

This ^^^^ ... all my other bike had adjustable lever ... Gap was fine btw. User feeling error I guess :ROFLMAO:

So.... time to order adjustable levers presto!!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To hell with the expenses ... went your route instead of the cheap Chinese one I have on my N1000.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

·
Registered
315 Posts
You'll be glad you bought those. How do you think I felt when I bought the Brembo 15RCS master cylinder and lever? Lol. I think its about $300 out the door. Blows the absolute socks off the stock master cylinder in every way though.

Good luck!

-Mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You'll be glad you bought those. How do you think I felt when I bought the Brembo 15RCS master cylinder and lever? Lol. I think its about $300 out the door. Blows the absolute socks off the stock master cylinder in every way though.

Good luck!

-Mike
Installed the RC2 adjustable levers ... man oh man ... what a difference!! Muscle memory picked up right where I was before with the Ninja 1000 adjustable clutch lever. Smooth shifts, no more clutch dragging.

Never thought about this. Thanks again I'm very happy with the bike. Great for commuting in heavy traffic vs Ninja 1000. Bonus , great on gas 60-70 MPG vs 30 MPG on the N1K with premium gas.

·
Premium Member
84' Goldwing Aspencade, 91' EX500, 98' Ninja 250 w/ 17' 300 engine, 07 EX500
187 Posts
Reactions: Topaz
1 - 14 of 14 Posts