Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
This may be a dumb question but with a rear stand how do i lift the engine if its on an angle? Which part on the bottom is strong enough to support the weight of the engine?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Put a jack right under the lowest part of the engine, make sure you put a soft material in between your jack and the engine so it won't scratch it. It's there only for support, not meant to be lifted. People do it without jacks, and it's ok, the engine doesn't move much when you remove the bolts.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I am a new rider with very limited wrenching experience and I installed the Yoshi frame sliders myself.

You're over thinking it. The instructions included with the Yoshi sliders are just fine. You won't wreck your bike (except maybe breaking fairing tabs off if you're not careful :eek:)

So tools you'll need:
-A socket wrench set (I forget what sizes)
-Some sort of extension to give the wrench more leverage (my engine mounting bolts were loctited on so much that you needed extra leverage to break the bond.)
-Drill/Hole saw (there's a pre-placed indicator on the inside of the fairing for where and how large the hole will need to be (about 1 1/4 inch in diameter)
-Optional: floor jack/rear stand

The allen keys that comes with your Ninja is fine to remove all the fairing pieces.

Search the forums for OEM slider installation instructions. There's a pretty detailed picture-picture DIY steps to follow. Also there's a fairing removal guide floating around the forums too.

In terms of sliders snapping off: there's so many variables that comes into play when a bike goes down, there's no guarantee how the slider will protect your bike. From what I can tell, Yoshimura is a reputable company and the sliders will protect your frame as intended under typical accident situations. This is not something you should even worry about.

·
Registered
155 Posts
If you remove 2 engine mounting bolts on one side without a supporting the engine, will the engine fall out or put too much stress on the 2 bolts on the other side?

·
Registered
399 Posts
T-Rex no cut sliders cost $126 shipped and a dealer charged me $75.

They seem solid to me, probably solid because I didn't install it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
If you remove 2 engine mounting bolts on one side without a supporting the engine, will the engine fall out or put too much stress on the 2 bolts on the other side?
The bolt is a long bolt that goes through to the other side. It's held together by a nut at the end.

·
Registered
368 Posts
They had loctite on them when I took it off, so I put loctite on it when I put it on, to be safe.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thank you, that's exactly what I got from reading the yoshi instructions. Finding out which bolt is which shouldn't be too hard.

I think I will go with yosi, I want to try and snag them at a cheap price as I am hesitant about the whole thing all together.

Those with sliders, do you think it adds to your bike? Does it make you feel safer and more confident? Do you like the aesthetic?

I really like yoshi because the shogun guide is pretty much "how to put together a death star" in pictures. Unplugging rubber connectors, trimming the sprocket guard (Not that that is difficult mind you) but just a lot more steps, as it seems.

I am a new rider with very limited wrenching experience and I installed the Yoshi frame sliders myself.

You're over thinking it. The instructions included with the Yoshi sliders are just fine. You won't wreck your bike (except maybe breaking fairing tabs off if you're not careful :eek:)

So tools you'll need:
-Some sort of extension to give the wrench more leverage (my engine mounting bolts were loctited on so much that you needed extra leverage to break the bond.)
-Drill/Hole saw (there's a pre-placed indicator on the inside of the fairing for where and how large the hole will need to be (about 1 1/4 inch in diameter)

The allen keys that comes with your Ninja is fine to remove all the fairing pieces.

Search the forums for OEM slider installation instructions. There's a pretty detailed picture-picture DIY steps to follow. Also there's a fairing removal guide floating around the forums too.

In terms of sliders snapping off: there's so many variables that comes into play when a bike goes down, there's no guarantee how the slider will protect your bike. From what I can tell, Yoshimura is a reputable company and the sliders will protect your frame as intended under typical accident situations. This is not something you should even worry about.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Thank you, that's exactly what I got from reading the yoshi instructions. Finding out which bolt is which shouldn't be too hard.

I think I will go with yosi, I want to try and snag them at a cheap price as I am hesitant about the whole thing all together.

Those with sliders, do you think it adds to your bike? Does it make you feel safer and more confident? Do you like the aesthetic?

I really like yoshi because the shogun guide is pretty much "how to put together a death star" in pictures. Unplugging rubber connectors, trimming the sprocket guard (Not that that is difficult mind you) but just a lot more steps, as it seems.
The Yoshi sliders are a solid choice (both literally and figuratively).

The sliders definitely gave me a bit more confidence doing slow speed maneuvers. I don't feel safer, but I have a bit more of a peace of mind knowing my bike should be protected IF something happened. The Yoshi sliders fit right into the styling of the bike that you don't really notice it after a while.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Use a spade bit, 1" is good enough. the hole on my right side fairing didn't match up very well from the marking, had to go about 45 degree down and forward 1/4" to make it fit.

You'll be able to see the hole you make when you're done so smaller is better. When you make the first hole, start on the back and when you've gotten through about 1/2 way go to the outside and slowly trace a hole in the sticker/paint before digging in. takes all of 5 minutes to do it this way and you wont accidentally snap it in half with a wayward drill.

On that note, a drill is completely un-necessary as is the dremel, just use a round rasp or file to enlarge the hole as necessary. Can be found for a couple bucks.

·
Registered
205 Posts
That's the thing, and honestly, I argued with them about it. He said aprox 3-4.

I was on the phone and literally said "bull****" it will take 4 hours, give me a drill and a bit and I'll have it done in 2 and I won't have to pay you."

The purchasing process I went through with these people already had me on edge, just because I am "young' (25) they act as if I have no real intention of buying a bike.

Anyway, any ideas about cutting the fairing...? I really could use a cordless drill option at this point, and it says that I need to:

9. Carefully open hole using a rotary tool while periodically checking with chassis protector spacer.

Widen hole just enough so the spacer clears the fairing.

What do they mean by this? Yoshi site has no pictures =(

PS. sorry for all the silly questions I'm very angry about this due to the dealership.

I feel your pain. I had to go to 3 different dealers just to get taken seriously from any of the salesman. On the third and closest to my house I was basically ignored by one older salesman then promptly looked after by a guy about similar to our age..the older guy was slightly confused when he saw me buy my ebony abs model from the other salesman with cash haha hopefully he wont judge books by their covers anymore.

·
Registered
239 Posts

hey, i'm a beginner rider my self and the ninja 300 is my first bike.
i started a similar thread like yours, asking fellow forum members if i should install the sliders myself ( OEM kawasaki frame sliders ) or at the dealers.
however my dealer opted to install them for free but i would have to wait 4-5 hours.

pretty much everyone suggested that i install it my self...
and boy am i glad i did.
i actually had fun installing them and learned alot.
i had a power drill and just bought a hole saw bit at home depot for about $6.
it took me about 3 hours to install the frame sliders, however most of the time was spent taking off the engine bolts ( damn bastards are on tight ) and taking off the fairings.

i suggest you go for the yoshimura frame sliders.
to be honest, i some what regret not getting the yoshimura's as they are cheaper, and better looking.
i spent about $300 on the OEM frame sliders.. and they are bigger in person than in pictures.
don't get me wrong, i still love them, but wouldn't necessarily recommend them.

i have been riding around for about 200 miles in the beginning without the frame sliders.
now that I have the frame sliders installed, i actually do feel MORE confident riding. just feel a bit safer.
same goes for my gear. the more gear i had bought and wear, the more "safer" and confident i feel.

·
Registered
1 Posts

So tools you'll need:

Hi Do you know what type of locking agent is used for the upper engine mounting bolts?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hi Do you know what type of locking agent is used for the upper engine mounting bolts?

You are replying to a 7 year old post, and to a member that hasn't been on this site for 4 years.

I'll take a guess: Loctite Threadlocker Blue:

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts