Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know propping up the engine is the most important part but is there anything extra?

I see the list of "parts" on the yoshi manual but it doesn't give sizes of sockets etc.

I rather do it myself than pay 172 at a dealership to do it... But I want it done right.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,075 Posts
Would definitely do it yourself. Also, I suggest going to get grade 8 hardware instead of what they gave you. My friends frame slider snapped right off last saturday

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding pal.

I'm sorry but I don't exactly know what grade 8 hardware is, I'm assuming obviously is tougher material, but for what?

Just for off the phone with two dealer ships, one that sold me the bike said 170-255 bucks JUST to install the frame sliders... and 85 dollars to install a front 15t sprocket... Making me want to do the sliders myself.

This is asking a lot, but what size ratchets will I need? I saw yoshi's guide like I previously mentioned but it said nothing about actual size. Anyone with experience want to chime in? I have a rear stand for it so stabilizing the engine shouldn't be a big deal.

Thank you all as always, you are amazing.

Would definitely do it yourself. Also, I suggest going to get grade 8 hardware instead of what they gave you. My friends frame slider snapped right off last saturday

·
Super Moderator
1,075 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As A new rider I hope you can understand my slight fear/concern. Only regarding which stock piece goes where. (I can read manuals, but the point still stands, I don't want to screw up my baby. I also have no means of actually cutting the fairing. Maybe I can see if the dealership can cut it for me?

Also this new information regarding needed stronger bolts is getting to me, but its better than paying an extra 225 from the place I BOUGHT the damned bike from. Good bye future services there, that's all I can say!

It's pretty straight forward once you have the fairings off. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
1,075 Posts
I know propping up the engine is the most important part but is there anything extra?

I see the list of "parts" on the yoshi manual but it doesn't give sizes of sockets etc.

I rather do it myself than pay 172 at a dealership to do it... But I want it done right.

Thanks!
Which slider kit did you go with?
:cool:

·
Registered
368 Posts
I don't have experience with Yoshi framesliders, but it should be very easy and straight forward. Put in one bolt at a time, most people on here don't even use a lift to support their engine. I used one because I was afraid it was going to move, but it doesn't move much. Just lift up with your hands so you can slide the bolt through, fairly easy. As for the drilling part, I have no experience, so I can't give advice there, but there should be youtubes videos you can look at.

I myself bought a framesliders from Shogun, they were no cut, very easy to install after the fairings came off.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I installed the Yoshi ones yesterday - not hard but a pain. Unless you have tiny hands getting the nuts back two front upper engine bolts was a PITA. Me and JC had a couple heated talks during that part. I ended up dropping the radiator to get to them.

The cutting of the fairings is the easist part. Need a drill with a 1 1/8" spade bit and just center on the raised indicator already on your fairing.

If you don't have the tools or confidence pay someone to do it. For a dealer service tech the sprocket and the sliders should take no more than two man hours.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's the thing, and honestly, I argued with them about it. He said aprox 3-4.

I was on the phone and literally said "bull****" it will take 4 hours, give me a drill and a bit and I'll have it done in 2 and I won't have to pay you."

The purchasing process I went through with these people already had me on edge, just because I am "young' (25) they act as if I have no real intention of buying a bike.

Anyway, any ideas about cutting the fairing...? I really could use a cordless drill option at this point, and it says that I need to:

9. Carefully open hole using a rotary tool while periodically checking with chassis protector spacer.

Widen hole just enough so the spacer clears the fairing.

What do they mean by this? Yoshi site has no pictures =(

PS. sorry for all the silly questions I'm very angry about this due to the dealership.

I installed the Yoshi ones yesterday - not hard but a pain. Unless you have tiny hands getting the nuts back two front upper engine bolts was a PITA. Me and JC had a couple heated talks during that part. I ended up dropping the radiator to get to them.

The cutting of the fairings is the easist part. Need a drill with a 1 1/8" spade bit and just center on the raised indicator already on your fairing.

If you don't have the tools or confidence pay someone to do it. For a dealer service tech the sprocket and the sliders should take no more than two man hours.

·
Registered
368 Posts
People are having great success using a spade bit, not sure on the size you'll need though.

Bring your fairings inside to drill :p

·
Registered
296 Posts
Put in one bolt at a time, most people on here don't even use a lift to support their engine. I used one because I was afraid it was going to move, but it doesn't move much.

I myself bought a framesliders from Shogun, they were no cut, very easy to install after the fairings came off.
This may be a dumb question but with a rear stand how do i lift the engine if its on an angle? Which part on the bottom is strong enough to support the weight of the engine?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 36 Posts