Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy. To make a long story short, I've eaten shit a few times and my Ebay rearsets do not have the folding peg the OEM rearsets have. As a result, both sides of my bike have the frame bent inwards where the rearsets (or yoshi risers) attach to the frame.

I've read up on this forum to use a crescent wrench after removing the rearsets and bend them back to normal that way. Makes sense.

Moving forward, does it make sense to get rid of the Ebay special rearsets and go back to OEM for the folding pegs to avoid this if I eat shit again? I can only bend back the frame so many times - At some point it snaps right? I figure OEM rearsets are a small price to pay when compared with snapping a chunk of your frame off.

I did also hear someone suggested using a vortex peg on the OEM rearsets, but I'm not sure how that would be doable since the two pegs do not attach in the same manner / aren't interchangeable.

Would appreciate any advice. I'm not in a position to do any welding or anything significant because I rent an apartment and don't have a garage unfortunately.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Shameless plug: I am selling my old OEM rearsets. I changed to woodcraft so they need a good home!

Anyhow, yeah you don't want to be bending the frame over and over, you'll be asking for trouble. Especially since rearsets gotta be and feel 100% solid.

I like the woodcraft sets, but I think the vortex ones feature the important feature you need: snapping footpegs. I know, sounds terrible, but the pegs are designed to fail in a crash. That way, the energy is transferred into snapping the foot peg, not bending the frame. Then, you would just go get a new footpeg. That and I got the folding pedals for my set, so it reduces the chance of crunching the lever up as well.

I don't think you can use any other footpegs with OEM rearsets, they are different than say my woodcraft pegs. I'd say aftermarket is the way to go if you foresee more incidents down the road, but for dumb drops and simple stupid stuff that happens to us all from time to time, my OEM set didnt have any issues with the few drops it had on it.
Hope this helps.
-Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked into aftermarket ones a bit (well, non ebay special ones e.g. vortex) and stumbled upon this - Vortex Rearsets and Crashability - ninjette.org
They mention the vortex rearsets being designed for SS bikes and suffering from the same issue.

When you say aftermarket (vortex) might keep the frame in better shape than oem - Since the OEM ones have pegs that fold in as well - Wouldn't that result in just scraping the pegs down rather than acting like the Vortex ones (assuming the above is true and they don't just immediately snap off) which act as a lever to transfer force to the frame causing it to bend (as well as grinding down the peg too obviously)?

Super appreciate all of the advice!

·
Super Moderator
2,602 Posts
I've had the Vortex adjustable rearsets on my bike for years. Once of things I love about them is that the parts are replaceable. And, since they're designed primarily for use on the track, they have a portion of the peg that's designed to snap off, but it still leaves you just enough to ride your bike back home or to the paddock.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had the Vortex adjustable rearsets on my bike for years. Once of things I love about them is that the parts are replaceable. And, since they're designed primarily for use on the track, they have a portion of the peg that's designed to snap off, but it still leaves you just enough to ride your bike back home or to the paddock.
Have you crashed at the track with them? The link I posted mentions people with those rearsets saying they're too strong (despite supposedly being designed with the thin frame in mind)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Look the mounting area over closely when you get the rearsets off.

Many times the welded nuts will tear away from the frame and need to be re-welded.

Not a great design. The oem folding pegs help, but I'm pretty sure I've seen damage even with them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts