Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, this is my first post so sorry if this is not the right section for this but i have decided to get a 300 as my first bike and probably my only bike for the next few years. I was going to buy new from a dealership but i found a used one at a dealership.....however i think the guy there is trying to make more money than he ought to....he tells me that for it being a used bike....he will not charge me freight and shipping and will sell me the bike (ebony) for msrp of 4799.00

what do you all think? the other dealer where i first saw the bike was not going to charge me destination and all those charges...just msrp tax and thats it. what do you guys think is a reasonable price for used 300 ebony with 280 miles on it. i feel like the msrp should be dropped as it is a used bike after all.

thank you. i wanted to go there with 4500 cash in hand.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
A used bike should not be the price of MSRP. I got my new bike with all the dealership fees knocked off and $200 off MSRP. The moment that bike takes it's first micrometer off the lot, it takes depreciation in value. That same dealer if you had put a mile on her and came back and sold it, would have told you the same thing.

"Well you have already ridden it off the lot so it automatically becomes a used motorcycle so that'll take off 25% or so plus a bit more for our mechanics to go over it and service it."

That salesman is your typical vehicle salesman. He's trying to take you for everything he can. Even used, you are still going to have to pay tax on it as well. If you have another dealership willing to sell you new at MSRP, I'd take that way before I would go used for MSRP. The douche even makes it sound like he's doing you a favor by not charging the extra dealership charges that you shouldn't even be paying anyways.

You can easily get a used one for $4000.00 if you can find another used one. He's using supply and demand tactics on you though. Since this bike just came out, there aren't going to be many used bikes out there. Charging the same amount for a used bike as a new bike is crazy. I have seen some adds though for 2012 Ninja 250s from some SoCal dealers at $200-$300 over MSRP for a bike that has been discontinued and doesn't really serve a purpose with the 300 out now. Yeah, they don't make em anymore for the US market, but I would not pay $200 over new MSRP for something with 1k miles on it. lol.

As a quick example I found. A local dealer has an 08 Ninja 250 with 804 miles on it for $3995.00. The KBB value for my area shows 2485 for excellent, mint condition. Could you talk this place down and eventually work your way down to blue book value? Probably. Would it be a quick and easy affair? Hell no. The irony in this is that this is the same place I got my new Ninja 300 ABS from. I was able to talk down 200 under MSRP and all setup and transportation fees taken out. Only had to pay tax, title, license/doc fees. If you look hard enough and pit dealerships against each other, you can get a much better deal than that.

·
Registered
463 Posts
used ? 280 miles? 4799 otd? mmmm i think u could go a little lower, maybe 4600, just check it and recheck it again for damages

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I think he's attempting to ride you

Sent from my LG-P999 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
exactly....he was acting as if he was doing me a favor....he said well youre lucky....the other guy pay freight and shipping so you dont have to...you get to save that money...but he still wants to charge msrp for a used bike....it doesnt make sense. i know its only 300 miles on it but still...its a used bike. and yes the first dealership where i sat on a new one was just doing msrp plus tax which is mandatory.

do you think offering $4100 cash is lowballing. i know he is running a business so i dont want to be an ass and lowball but it is a used bike...at $4100....i am putting a %15 restocking discount on it essentially. what most stores charge when you return an item.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
exactly....he was acting as if he was doing me a favor....he said well youre lucky....the other guy pay freight and shipping so you dont have to...you get to save that money...but he still wants to charge msrp for a used bike....it doesnt make sense. i know its only 300 miles on it but still...its a used bike. and yes the first dealership where i sat on a new one was just doing msrp plus tax which is mandatory.

do you think offering $4100 cash is lowballing. i know he is running a business so i dont want to be an ass and lowball but it is a used bike...at $4100....i am putting a %15 restocking discount on it essentially. what most stores charge when you return an item.
Btw welcome to the forums. :) didn't notice your post count at first.

I would offer $3800 personally and then you can go up from there. And that's being nice too. I would normally do a 25% depreciation for $3600 since that's what he would have done to you if you came back with a mile on it and wanted to sell it back to him or trade it in for another bike. It's a dealership, low ball the hell out of him and slowly work your way up. I wouldn't go higher than $4.1k though. If you start off at 4.1K he's going to think that's your low ball and work you up from there.

The way I see it is, he has zero qualms about taking you for a ride and taking you for all you're worth. Due to his behavior and pricing, you shouldn't have any worry about low balling him right back. He's being very aggressive in his pricing and tactics. He's out for your green blood and is trying to take every last drop he can out of you. You should have no issues with trying to save as much as possible.

By the way this sounds, I would be running from this guy if I were you. But if you wanna proverbially slug it out with this stealership, go for it. Have a solid upper limit and don't let him/her negotiate you over it. Make sure you deal in out the door price as well. He may be right now trying to do it MSRP OTD, but if you negotiate him down to $4300 and he hits you with tax,title, doc fees, you just wasted your time.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I like how everyone thinks that the dealer would take %25 off the MSRP when you trade it in ( which is true) but they are there to make a profit so they are not going to sell it to you for 25% of MSRP. That just doesnt make any sense

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
His tactics show that he probably took that bike for around $3k via trade in and added a bunch of other crap to that trade in to sweeten the deal while keeping the actual trade in value low. The 25% off is a STARTING point. When negotiating you never start off higher than what you think he should have paid for it and work up within reason.

He may need to make a profit, but fleecing people by attempting to push someone into a used vehicle for new pricing is wrong as well. I agree that he needs to make a profit, but his attitude and aggressive way about it, would make me more inclined to start lower more and lower my upper threshold even more so. If he's willing to hose you with pricing in selling to you, he probably hosed the guy who sold him that bike earlier as well. A salesman's sales personality is generally much harsher when buying something than selling it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
In my personal opinion if you see value in buying the bike used at 4200 then make the offer if he says no, then buy new.

But I negotiated over 1000 off the MSRP of my bike and paid no admin, frieght or any other add ons.

I guess it helps that I sell car and negoctiate for a living

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
A used bike should not be the price of MSRP. I got my new bike with all the dealership fees knocked off and $200 off MSRP. The moment that bike takes it's first micrometer off the lot, it takes depreciation in value. That same dealer if you had put a mile on her and came back and sold it, would have told you the same thing.

"Well you have already ridden it off the lot so it automatically becomes a used motorcycle so that'll take off 25% or so plus a bit more for our mechanics to go over it and service it."

That salesman is your typical vehicle salesman. He's trying to take you for everything he can. Even used, you are still going to have to pay tax on it as well. If you have another dealership willing to sell you new at MSRP, I'd take that way before I would go used for MSRP. The douche even makes it sound like he's doing you a favor by not charging the extra dealership charges that you shouldn't even be paying anyways.

You can easily get a used one for $4000.00 if you can find another used one. He's using supply and demand tactics on you though. Since this bike just came out, there aren't going to be many used bikes out there. Charging the same amount for a used bike as a new bike is crazy. I have seen some adds though for 2012 Ninja 250s from some SoCal dealers at $200-$300 over MSRP for a bike that has been discontinued and doesn't really serve a purpose with the 300 out now. Yeah, they don't make em anymore for the US market, but I would not pay $200 over new MSRP for something with 1k miles on it. lol.

As a quick example I found. A local dealer has an 08 Ninja 250 with 804 miles on it for $3995.00. The KBB value for my area shows 2485 for excellent, mint condition. Could you talk this place down and eventually work your way down to blue book value? Probably. Would it be a quick and easy affair? Hell no. The irony in this is that this is the same place I got my new Ninja 300 ABS from. I was able to talk down 200 under MSRP and all setup and transportation fees taken out. Only had to pay tax, title, license/doc fees. If you look hard enough and pit dealerships against each other, you can get a much better deal than that.
Its funny the dealer I got mine at had 3 250 left they marked down 500.00 under msrp.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Its funny the dealer I got mine at had 3 250 left they marked down 500.00 under msrp.
There was another dealer that had 2 2012 Ninja 250s for $4600. I saw it and thought,
"And that's why they are still sitting there on your floor. Greedy douche."
then I moved on. Some dealerships are so into trying to make as much money as possible, that they will keep new stock on the floor for years before finally marking it down and selling it. At that same place that had the Ninja 250s they still had a brand new 2010 ZX-10R for 2012 MSRP and a used 2011 ZX-6R with 1500 miles on it for 2012 MSRP as well. It's a huge wonder that places like this are still in business. Then again, in SoCal near LA, where you do have a large portion of affluent people, they have people walk in who are willing to pay that kind of price. Some rich kid who doesn't know any better or care would pay that price I suppose.

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
They will do this even in co we have one dealer I was looking for a used older 250 and they wanted 4500 for a used 2002 250

·
Registered
67 Posts
He shouldn't be charging you freight and shipping anyway. He didn't have it shipped to him. Plus mspr is too much for a used bike. I would say 4600 tops but see if you can haggle him lower.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I can buy a 2012 Ninja 250 new from the dealer for $3900 out the door. He has a bunch of them left that he can't sell. The new Ninja 300 is $5300 out the door in any color, including green and black.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts