Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am new to biking, only hand my ninja 2013 for over a month now. being new I am taking things slow and learning at my own pace and falling once in a while. well I have only fallen twice on the road and both times it wasn't bad falls. It was basically losing balance while standing still.

The problem is my foot rest on the left broke both times where the gear shift meets the foot rest, and the whole is broken so i cant change gears. My bike was in the shop for a month the first time so and just got it back last week and it happened again.

Can anyone advise me on a way to protect it so it wont happen again. Is it advisable for me to swap it out myself as I can order the part myself. Are there any things i should take note of if I change the part myself?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,602 Posts
Can anyone advise me on a way to protect it so it wont happen again. Is it advisable for me to swap it out myself as I can order the part myself. Are there any things i should take note of if I change the part myself?

Thanks
You can gently bend it back once, maybe twice before it needs replacing.

If you think tipping over is going to be a longer term issue, it might be wise to invest in folding toe pegs. As the name suggests, the peg part will fold like the foot rest does if the bike goes over.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

·
Registered
117 Posts
Not to discourage you; impressive that you still "sound" so positive after a second drop. But I'd really assess why your dropping the bike. If your standing still and having trouble holding the bike for a time it might be too big for you. Look at a 125 or 250. Hondas CBR 125 was a great little starter for me to learn basic things like holding the bike up (on hills and flat ground even) and manoeuvring without engine assistance. But if it's just slow speed issues the only real way to avoid it is practice. Learning to know when to just turn your bars
versus actually having to put a foot down is a good place to start. If it's feasible a beginner course would be ideal. Or another (experienced) rider willing to teach is a good option for little tips and pointers. And the forum is phenomenal for advice and techniques from the more experienced members. YouTube videos also... Tons of instructional videos to be found.
Glad to hear your still going strong though.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
326 Posts
You should get aftermarket rear sets. You can get knockoffs of the well known brands (vortex, sato, maybe woodcraft) from ebay. They're chinese made, but are generally decent quality... all made of the same aluminum.

I'm guessing the reason it was in the shop so long was shipping for the part. So, maybe you should stock up on some bits that are prone to damage (clip-ons, rear set pieces, etc..).

And you can absolutely fix that yourself. Ideally you'd find yourself a copy of the factory service manual, and a torque wrench so you can torque stuff down properly.

But for most things there's absolutely no reason to take your bike into a shop unless you're mechanically inept, and trust someone else's work with your life more than your own.

Also, if you can't take a motorcycle course, watch a bunch of how to ride a motorcycle videos on youtube. Try to stay away from the homemade ones though -- many people have no idea what they are talking about.

Definitely learn how to properly control the bike. There are books you can get too.

·
Registered
411 Posts
they also sell collapsable shift levers where the part that makes contact with your toes bends inward incase of a fall, thereby preventing the part from bending. Quick ebay search will show you plenty of great affordable options.

Reactions: Runaway

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not to discourage you; impressive that you still "sound" so positive after a second drop. But I'd really assess why your dropping the bike. If your standing still and having trouble holding the bike for a time it might be too big for you.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Lol yeah I have always wanted to learn to ride and since I started working the bike was the first on my list of things i can now afford. So granted although I looked at some bikes I fell in love with the ninja 300 and now after what what you mentioned i think i have been in denial about the bike being to big for me.

I believe I have a habit of of leaning the bike to the left which is why both time she fell it was the left. I will take your advise and book some lessons, I went for a beginners course but I think I need more.

Thanks for the advise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts