Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just happened to look into my oil window this morning and the whole thing was fogged over, I though it was a little weird so I just randomly opened my oil cap and the whole underside of the cap was covered in an oily foam.. Now last time I seen this it was when I had a blown head gasket in my truck. I dont believe I have this issues with the motorcycle as its running great, in my truck it felt like there was zero power.

Now I have been riding in the rain daily for the past couple weeks, plus I ride very short trips, only a 2 miles so the engine really never heats up... I am guessing is just built up moisture in the crank case due to the short trips and the engine not heating up.. I am thinking if I go for a long ride it would clear right up..

Can anyone put my mind at ease or should I be worried? Yes I understand I have a warranty, but I would rather not take the bike in for an unneeded reason, they always find an excuse to keep it for a week or two..

I am going to be changing the oil this weekend either way because my millage up is..

·
Registered
523 Posts
My inspection window is fogged over, too, but it's been that way since I bought the bike so I don't worry about it too much. I'll take a look under the cap tonight and see if I have anything similar.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Never noticed that one mine.... mines perfectly clear, always has been..

But USUALLY!... foam means water....
maybe do an oil change real quick, dont even bother with the filter, and see if that fixes it, if it comes back... you may have an issue,

theres no reason the oil should be foamy at all other than that

maybe its that new cap you installed? maybe its not completely sealed??

good luck buddy!

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never noticed that one mine.... mines perfectly clear, always has been..

But USUALLY!... foam means water....
maybe do an oil change real quick, dont even bother with the filter, and see if that fixes it, if it comes back... you may have an issue,

theres no reason the oil should be foamy at all other than that

maybe its that new cap you installed? maybe its not completely sealed??

good luck buddy!
I actually have not had it in the rain since my new oil cap.. :cool:

I just called up my buddy who is a auto mechanic and asked him about it, and he said that its just moisture build up of moisture in the crank case, if you dont travel far distances the engine does not heat up. Normally the engine heats up and evaporates the water and it gets sucked into the intake. I just need to get out and ride it more.. Hard when its freezing cold and raining all the time!

·
Registered
554 Posts
I think I've read somewhere that coolant getting into the engine oil will also cause it to have some bubbles.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I've read somewhere that coolant getting into the engine oil will also cause it to have some bubbles.
Yea a blow head gasket or cracked block will do such a thing, but I am not losing coolant and I dont have any power loss..

10 day weather forcast calls for nothing but lots of rain.. Once it clears up I will take it out and really heat up the engine..

·
Registered
865 Posts
well thats good to hear lol go for a nice long ride when it clears up!

its too cold out now for me to go riding... =( low 30's/.... i think sunday i may get to 50.. i may go out then haha

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yea a blow head gasket or cracked block will do such a thing, but I am not losing coolant and I dont have any power loss..

10 day weather forcast calls for nothing but lots of rain.. Once it clears up I will take it out and really heat up the engine..
Pretty sure it will clear up if you get it out for a good run.

~mike

·
Registered
554 Posts
If there is no coolant lost it could just be moisture? Run that motor and burn it all out!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Argh, I keep forgetting to check this and only remember when the topic comes up. Well, I just rode my bike out here a few minutes ago, so I'll check it if I'm able to get the oil cap off without tools.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I haven't rode mine for a week or 2 and just looked in it, its foggy, but not foamy.
Got out for a little 15 mile ride today haha then 15 miles home!

Was 50 for a while!!!!! WOOT! but then the ride home was in the lower 30's... was'nt too too bad, but was not good either, one of my gloves went missing... and i had to ride home with onyl my very light mechanix gloves rather than my winter gloves....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts