Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
so I'm going to be getting a bike soon after taking my initial tests and waiting for all the covid stuff to clear up and also have the money, and one thing that's persistently worrying me is my driveway , the driveway itself is fine, nice and flat , curb is well sloped but the road its on is steeper than 30 degrees .
So ill be coming out on a flat which then transitions into an immediate steep hill
And i cant help but feel this is gonna be tedious for a while till I perfect the maneuver
On a pedal bike I can throw it around however I want at basically any speed , but for the motorbike I have all sorts of things to worry about while also making sure I pull it all off while remaining safe and sure the road is clear . Does anyone have any suggestions for going in and out of this? Would it be easier to just wheel out and hill start going up the hill or down it? Its mainly the transition from horizontal to steep while pulling out into the road that is concerning . I feel it might always be a bad idea to try the full maneuver in one go
Thanks for reading

Registered
Hello, and welcome to the forum.

In reading all that, I reckon it won't be as daunting as it now may seem, especially if you already have experience doing this with a bicycle.

(I hope it doesn't snow there.....that sounds like a brutal road! 馃槻 )

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Hello, and welcome to the forum.

In reading all that, I reckon it won't be as daunting as it now may seem, especially if you already have experience doing this with a bicycle.

(I hope it doesn't snow there.....that sounds like a brutal road! 馃槻 )
Thanks, I video called a biker friend of mine and they thought I was overthinking it , i guess I'll just take it cautious for a while and put more effort into making sure the road is clear than getting it all done without taking too long

Registered
What's the the traffic direction of the road? Double sense? I mean, can you choose to go up hill or down hill when you leave your house? If you can, I would get off the house down hill, controlling the bike with the brakes, and would return home also down hill, from the other side, also controlling the bike with the brakes. Going uphill may be tricky at the beginning, specially with a cold engine, wet pavement and maybe yourself kind of sleepy in the mornings.

Do you have a different place to keep your bike for the first days until you get familiar with it? Like a relative or friend's house? Then you can get some mileage on the bike before you bring it home.

I'm sure after some practice you'll get it. Be careful though. Don't get overconfident.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah
What's the the traffic direction of the road? Double sense? I mean, can you choose to go up hill or down hill when you leave your house? If you can, I would get off the house down hill, controlling the bike with the brakes, and would return home also down hill, from the other side, also controlling the bike with the brakes. Going uphill may be tricky at the beginning, specially with a cold engine, wet pavement and maybe yourself kind of sleepy in the mornings.

Do you have a different place to keep your bike for the first days until you get familiar with it? Like a relative or friend's house? Then you can get some mileage on the bike before you bring it home.

I'm sure after some practice you'll get it. Be careful though. Don't get overconfident.
I can leave either direction and traffic coming down the road is on the side im pulling out on, my main concern is taking it too slow and tipping which would probably be more likely because of the incline , also dont want to go too fast and risk unclear road

Registered
Same as your friend, I think you're overthinking it. It makes sense since you don't ride yet.

Anyways. I'm with you in it's not a good idea to take that hill without being familiar with the bike.
Try to some how get practice away from the hill, and once you're confident on the bike try your home hill when there is no traffic. Does the road have heavy traffic? If so, then try it late at night or very early in the morning before the rush hour.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts