Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search for paint codes but couldn't quite find anything specifically referring to the lower fairing (the one with the Kawasaki decal on it), if i missed it i apologize for the duplicate thread

Basically, thanks to a big chunk of concrete on the road, i acquired a few scratches just in front of my kickstand on the lower fairing. In hindsight i'm glad i managed to swerve enough to avoid it hitting my front tyre directly, but a bit of target fixation meant i couldn't get away from it enough to avoid it completely, so it could have been a lot worse, but now i'm quite annoyed and i want to fix up these scratches.

Photos are attached here below (they are quite large in size, about 3mb each, sorry), as you can see there are a few minor scratches further forward on the fairing, the main deep scratches are all around that main fairing bolt. On a side note, the fuel overflow tube that is located just near that area also got it's bracket cut in half, so i'm going to be replacing that..

Photo 1 minor scratches (click image for larger photo)

Photo 2 main deep scratches (click image for larger photo)

Another thread did mention a website, colorrite.com, which i went to and found a section for Kawasaki 602 Ebony. I'm just not sure if this is more for the glossy main fairing on black bikes, or if it is actually for the lighter less glossy lower fairing... Any help on what exactly i should purchase would be greatly appreciated, and any additional tips on how to go about fixing it up nicely would be welcomed too :D

Thanks

PS Mods sorry if this is in the wrong section, i saw paint related threads in a few sections so i wasn't sure

·
Registered
159 Posts
I would try Meguiars Plastic-x first and rub it by hand to see if it'll rub out. If not buy some touch up paint and fill in the bad spots, making the paint thicker then the surrounding plastic. Then knock it down with 2,000 grit wetland paper, keeping the paper wet while you smoothen it out flush, be careful not to sand through the surrounding paint using foam sanding block. Then get some polish like Meguairs 205, and then move to a fine cut paste and it should look like new. It looks like most of it will rub out, if the scratch is white in color, it'll probably rub out without painting, if you can feel an indention when you rub your finger over it, the paint is probably worn through and will require touch up paint to correct the problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, yeah i think the smaller scratches will come out easily i'll try that plastic-x on them, but under that fairing bolt they are quite deep gouges so i'll probably need to fill that part in

Still not sure on what paint code to go for though, i'll see how the plastic-x goes first

Cheers

·
Registered
272 Posts
you can buy ABS plastic in cans. it's liquid though and some people let it dry before applying it so that it becomes more solid. an alternative is to melt an ABS plastic rod into it, but it looks like from the figure that it's not such a big thing that you need a plastic rod.
the fairing is made of ABS plastic, so the ABS plastic will easily bond. an alternative is one of those compounds they sell to repair surface. if you find one for plastic it would be better, otherwise those for metal surfaces might crack if the plastic is bent. but if it's in a spot that doesn't bend, it might be OK provided it sticks to the plastic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts