Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The shop I buy my gear from has some spray cleaner / wax for $9.99. Was going to pick it up yesterday but forgot, and now they are closed, and I was planning on cleaning her today.

I am not sure what products are best for her, or where I can get them easily today on Easter sunday. Does walmart carry motorcycle cleaning stuff? I tried to search the forums but I only found stuff about the chain.

Any recommendations on something I can pick up just for a quick spot clean today would be awesome..

Thanks!

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
The shop I buy my gear from has some spray cleaner / wax for $9.99. Was going to pick it up yesterday but forgot, and now they are closed, and I was planning on cleaning her today.

I am not sure what products are best for her, or where I can get them easily today on Easter sunday. Does walmart carry motorcycle cleaning stuff? I tried to search the forums but I only found stuff about the chain.

Any recommendations on something I can pick up just for a quick spot clean today would be awesome..

Thanks!
same stuff you use on your car is fine) make sure though you get some tire cleaner shiner and really clean that tire all over and make it shine like new.:D

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
same stuff you use on your car is fine) make sure though you get some tire cleaner shiner and really clean that tire all over and make it shine like new.:D

I think he is kidding. Don't put anything on your tires besides soap & water. Armor-all or similar will put the bike on the ground if it hits the contact surface. Don't use it on the seat either.

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
I think he is kidding. Don't put anything on your tires besides soap & water. Armor-all or similar will put the bike on the ground if it hits the contact surface. Don't use it on the seat either.
O crap sorry I forgot also use some really good stuff on your seat make it shine like new also thanks for reminding me old:D

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am a HUGE fan of Simple Green. It will EAT any oil or grease. BE CAREFUL with it, though. If you buy the concentrated form (which is what I prefer) make sure to dilute it according to instructions and use a rag to wash/wipe the bike. If you get the non-concentrated form (which comes in a spray bottle) you can spray it all over and use a rag to wash/wipe/spread the solution. Regardless, as Old3 said, make sure to keep it away from the chain, pads, rotors, etc. If you get it on anything like that, just wash it off with plenty of water and re-apply grease to the chain, or whatever lubricant you prefer.

And, PLEASE DISREGARD the post suggesting Armor All! Even if joking, I wish Fishdip had not posted that. Someone may see that and actually do it. You don't want to take any risks of your tires slipping from being covered on Armor All, and NEVER use it on your seat, or the rear passenger seat. If you hit the brakes, you WILL slide forward quite a bit, and could possibly slide right off your bike due to lack of friction.

·
Registered
295 Posts
For the past 10+ years I've been using a product called "Zaino" on all my cars, and I plan to give the bike a good coating of it soon.

It's not cheap, but unlike wax it's so easy to put on (after your first application) and remove, you don't need to worry about direct exposure to sunlight like you do with wax, and the stuff lasts somewhere between 6-9 months depending on how exposed to the elements your car is.

I once took my car to a car wash due to a pollen explosion and limited time after applying the Zaino 2 months earlier. The guy tried to mark my windshield with one of those car markers to denote what service I had ordered...he couldn't get it to write.

After you apply it, all you need to "clean" the bike is a clean water spray bottle and one with a mixture of water & the car wash. Oh and a towel to dry unless it's super dirty.

If your intrested check out : http://www.zainostore.com/

At minimum you'd want:
ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator Additive $19.95
Z-2™ PRO Show car polish for clear coats $14.95
Z-7™ Show Car Wash $7.95

and a couple polish applicator pads.

I haven't found much for the non painted plastic bits that won't run when it rains though, still looking on that front.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Where do you get Simple Green?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Grocery store, any big chain, Wal-Mart or such. I use it on my chain all the time, but I don't run lube on it either. Avoid the brakes but if some hits it they won't stop working so don't sweat it too much. I use it full strength too.

Bad idea to joke about stuff that could kill someone, especially if you don't make it totally clear it is a joke.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, walmart was PACKED so i wasn't able to pick up anything....just going to take some warm water, and wipe the fairings down, and use some turtle spray wax on a small area first to make sure it doesn't do dmg....if not...guna spray wax her down for today, and give her a good cleaning when i can get the proper stuff

·
Registered
78 Posts
BTW, and for the record, I went the cheapo route during my last (and, first) wash: I used a bucket with hot water, added some dishwashing liquid, made sure everything was diluted nicely and used a rag. I spent over an hour (I got in every nook and cranny) and the bike looked beautiful and has stayed pretty clean. My only problem at this point is that my chain developed some rust (happened before I washed it) and I need to apply some lubricant to get the rust off and to keep it in tip top shape.

But, yes, get the Simple Green, use some common sense and enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I just use pledge and wipe her down clean.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I use Motul Showroom Cleaner. Comes in a spray can, costs like $7 and it smells like oranges. Love it.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
motorcycles can take longer to clean, but is so much simpler. Also keep pressurized water way from the bike. If you accidentally hit a seal with it, it'll strip the grease and oil right out of it. For example, wheel bearings and head bearings are very vulnerable. It can also damage the radiator fins and will strip the oil/wax right off the chain even may even slip past the sealed o-ring and push the oil out or sit and mix with the oil. While it can be used if you are very careful with it, it's more of a pain in the ass than it's worth and very easy to screw up with. Just stick to hand washing it and you'll be fine. Also clean up blemishes and messes up early before they have a chance to set. For example dead bugs and bird crap. Don't just let them collect on the bike. Wipe them off ASAP. Practically any cleaner that wont strip a clear coat or eat through plastic will work fine for the bike. Simple green is awesome and windex/pledge work well for minor light cleanings. As Old said, stay the hell away from the tire. I wouldn't use more than soapy water for the wheels. Some of the harsher chemicals can really do a number on the pads and some of the cleaners that eat away at petrol chemicals like simple green and some of the degreasers will eat a tire if you let it. Your wheels are your life line on the road even more so than a car. You need to be extra careful with how you treat and handle them.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Make sure you lube the chain after you get water on it.
After having my bike for over a month I sprayed it with water for the first time yesterday. The only reason I used water was because the chain cleaner product I used (maxima cleanup) said to rinse with cold water after cleaning.
Originally I planned not to use water to wash the bike at all, and only use spray cleaner & polish. I'm glad I sprayed it down though. I think next time I'll throw some car wash soap in the mix.

I use pro honda spray cleaner and polish. Works great.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I use Turtle Wax Zip Wash and a microfiber cloth, I also dry using a electric leaf blower it works great to get all the water out of tight spots(I use it for nothing other than drying bikes and cars to keep it clean)

·
Registered
295 Posts
For the LOVE of all that is HOLY in the universe PLEASE PLEASE don't use windex on your bike! Windex contains amonia and it can ruin anything that is not painted (lots of non painted exposed plastic on my ninja 300). It will also strip the polorization off anything that happens to be polorized such as your windshield on the bike or face shield. And remove most waxes or polish.

There are plenty of auto safe alternatives you can buy from the $3.00 armorall to the $10 meguires. Just don't use household cleaners on a motorcycle that is going to be exposed to UV rays, and the weather.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts