Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks!
Yesterday I was out in the rain at my local track and finally leaned just a bit too much. I wasn't running my Road 5's which I would have loved to run in the rain, and my folks were actually rolling up to the track at lunch time to drop off those tires, and the session right before that I just went too hard.

I was doing a double apex left hander, pretty long corner. Wasn't hard on any controls at all, my front just suddenly lost all grip. There was a TON of standing and flowing water on the track, it was raining like crazy. Low sided, handlebar came down hard on the track, and I slid a good ways on the road and then into the grass. When I was sliding I felt the bike tap me on my right side once or twice, and I was sliding either on my butt like a sled or on my back a bit, or both. Helmet barely has a scuff on it, suit barely got any scratches through the painted leather. Airbag deployed, and I didn't even notice.

Actually managed to borrow a clip-on bar from a buddy in the pit, and ride it home after hosing the bike down, riding around the pits and making sure it gets through all the gears and stuff. It's got a vibration in the wheels at a certain speed, so maybe I lost some wheel weights, but the engine runs great, doesn't leak, no overheating either.

Having not actually crashed THAT much (only twice so far lol) it really is astonishing how well these "track oriented" parts are designed to break in very specific ways that make them easily fixable. I had the full Woodcraft set of bars and rearsets, and it worked exactly like it was designed to, and I was able to ride it home. How cool is that? I also think if I had frame sliders, it probably would have damaged my frame. I slid off over a curb.

Airbag was a nice touch as well. After my last wreck on the roads, I was winded and everything everywhere just kinda hurt, even the parts without broken bones. But this time I got out with just some sore muscles. Would have been awful if my spine or ribs took a hit. The airbag worked exactly as it was designed to, and I will absolutely be getting it serviced, and maybe picking up the new TA10 airbag when the funds are available. Epic tech that would have sucked to not have when learning to push my limits. If you folks don't have one, you will be so happy to have had it after having an accident, and I bet the price of the TA5 airbag will come down eventually with the release of the 10.

Track crashing was also kinda a weirdly exhilarating and exciting experience. Felt so alive. What better way to feel so human than to make a mistake and crash? Couldn't be mad either, and I look forward to fixing the bike up and getting fresh gear!

Stay safe out there folks! Keep on living the life.
-Mike

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man!

Feeling much better another day later, muscles are starting to loosen back up.

If I have some time today I'll sit down with the bike and start detailing it, and seeing what is damaged. I think my subframe may have slid on the ground a bit, so hopefully that isn't bent, but it may be. Local cycle shop said they'd do a balance check on my wheels for free as well, so that is cool!

Happy Memorial Day folks.

-Mike

·
Premium Member
84' Goldwing Aspencade, 91' EX500, 98' Ninja 250 w/ 17' 300 engine, 07 EX500
187 Posts
Dude, glad you're okay, but better to crash on the track, then on the streets.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Indeed. I enjoy street riding for the adventures, views, and traveling mostly nowadays, but nothing beats the track.

Thinking about picking up a Shoei RF-1400, and I am hearing rumors that the Shoei X-14 is going out of production (with the introduction of the X-15) and might be able to get a nice closeout deal on a X-14 for track.

What I really need is a truck and trailer.... uhg. Some day. Prices of everything is astronomical right now.
Thanks for the kind words fellas.

-Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts