Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup, it finally happened.... been riding for 2 years now, had my 2011 250 and now my 2013 300 and i knew it was bound to happen sooner than later. SO.... I was backing into my garage as I always do and I cut the corner too hard and next thing I know I'm going over in slow motion... literally, can see myself get to the point where I know I wont be able to hold the bike up anymore... and then next thing I know the bike was on top of my leg.

I'm kind of glad my leg was there because the only damage was a light scratch on the exhaust, scratch on the bar end, and scratch on the mirror... what was hurt the most was my ego ;). I'll tell you what though, for a light bike that thing is heavy. Luckily my best friend was riding with me and was pulling in too (I let him park in my garage) and he helped me lift it off because with my leg pinned, there would have been no way I was getting the bike off me.

Anywho, thought I'd share, everyones ok :)

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
glad your ok, could have been a lot worse.bikes are repairable.
when moving any motorcycle around i keep the bike leaned against my hip at an angle.yet to drop a bike moving it like this yet

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
With every one of these incidents I read I hope to learn to be that much more cautious. Thanks for sharing :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Glad you and the bike are okay...better to dump it there than flying down the street.
+1, and I'm glad you're okay as well.

glad your ok, could have been a lot worse.bikes are repairable.
when moving any motorcycle around i keep the bike leaned against my hip at an angle.yet to drop a bike moving it like this yet
Same here. OP, you gotta start doing that.

Yup, it finally happened.... been riding for 2 years now, had my 2011 250 and now my 2013 300 and i knew it was bound to happen sooner than later. SO.... I was backing into my garage as I always do and I cut the corner too hard and next thing I know I'm going over in slow motion... literally, can see myself get to the point where I know I wont be able to hold the bike up anymore... and then next thing I know the bike was on top of my leg.

I'm kind of glad my leg was there because the only damage was a light scratch on the exhaust, scratch on the bar end, and scratch on the mirror... what was hurt the most was my ego ;). I'll tell you what though, for a light bike that thing is heavy. Luckily my best friend was riding with me and was pulling in too (I let him park in my garage) and he helped me lift it off because with my leg pinned, there would have been no way I was getting the bike off me.

Anywho, thought I'd share, everyones ok :)
That's something I've never thought of; let's say your friend wasn't there, what is one to do? Just...wait?

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Standard gasoline weighs 6.07lbs per gallon. So it only adds 27 lbs or so on a full tank. You have to man up and learn how to pick up your bike and manipulate the bike from awkward positions, like it pinned on your leg. I low sided on my cruiser last year at very low speed from hitting a wet sand patch that I didn't see with the rear while going downhill. Was able to move the 700lbs cruiser off of me and pick it back up embarrassed as hell. Hell of a 4th of July right there. To move the bike enough to get it off your leg by yourself. Grab the closest handlebar that should be resting on the ground and pull it towards you. This will dig the front wheel (as long as you didn't mangle the front suspension and handlebars didn't break off,) and leverage and lift the front of the bike enough to sneak your leg from out of the bike. It also helps you get the first few inches needed to start lifting the bike. Those first inch or two you get from using the handlebars to leverage up the bike a bit makes picking it up the rest of the way MUCH easier.

Good to hear you and the bike are relatively ok.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Glad you're fine! 172kg is pretty hard to move in that position. I'm amazed you didn't break your leg.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
**Update**

Finally got around to doing a more thorough inspection of the damage and it turns out this was a blessing in disguise :). Now I have a reason to replace my exhaust (just ordered leo vince CF SO from biohazard) and my bar ends with some yoshimura bar ends i've been eyeing up for a while and wife cant bitch. Any suggestions on how to get the scratch out of the plastic on the mirror? It's pretty deep.

To the poster that asked, yes it was a full tank of gas, and I was on the bike when it went down (was on it backing into garage after a ride), not pushing it from the side, but I do 100% agree with your advice on the hip.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
the scratched mirror can be cleaned up with some fine "wet & dry" sand paper & then if you want cover the mirror with tape or what ever then a coat of plastidip to make it black again

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the scratched mirror can be cleaned up with some fine "wet & dry" sand paper & then if you want cover the mirror with tape or what ever then a coat of plastidip to make it black again
O man... I just finished reading the plastidip thread in it's entirety and I think I'm getting the pastidip itch!! I'll let you know how it turns out when I get some time to do it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It bothers me when people say, "it was bound to happen sooner or later" because that's just not true. It's entirely possible to have a long riding career without ever dropping your bike at standstill or crashing.

As for me, I've dropped a couple of my bikes because I'm careless and not very strong but I don't kid myself, "it was bound to happen". The problem is we lose concentration from time to time and that's when these incidents occur.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
It bothers me when people say, "it was bound to happen sooner or later" because that's just not true. It's entirely possible to have a long riding career without ever dropping your bike at standstill or crashing.

As for me, I've dropped a couple of my bikes because I'm careless and not very strong but I don't kid myself, "it was bound to happen". The problem is we lose concentration from time to time and that's when these incidents occur.

Just my $.02
It's a statistic anomaly to not drop or down a bike ever in your life. Nearly everyone who's ridden their whole lives has been down at least once and dropped a bike at least once. Now we do have a blue hair or two kicking around here who haven't yet, but your whole life is a relatively long time. :) To tell yourself it's never going to happen will make it very devastating when it finally does happen. If you just think of it as a statistical "when" instead of an "if" I find it goes a long way to relaxing a bit instead of always having this bug up your ass worrying about something that's probably going to happen but may not. Now I'm not saying to be totally complacent and lazy either, but I've seen those new riders out there who are worried about dropping their bike or going down that they're a nervous wreck when they go out and ride. While I do my part to stay focused on riding and keeping my bike shiny side up, I don't think I could do it if I started drifting to the side of paranoid either.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts