Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope you all can help. If I do tge service myself will I void the warranty? Also what is really the oil I should use if I do, do it myself? Thanks

·
Registered
320 Posts
No it doesnt void your warranty. U can do it yourself and its alot cheaper. U can even go to the dealer and just ask for the oil and the filter and it will cost u about 25 bucks for all

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
From Kawasaki Australia site
Q. Will my warranty be affected if the periodic service is done by a non - Kawasaki Dealer?
No. Warranty covers the unit for manufactured defects. The quality or lack of periodic service has no influence on whether a failure is a manufactured defect or not. Warranty does not cover failures caused by faulty workmanship. We strongly recommend you use an authorised Kawasaki Dealer as they are factory trained, have the necessary special tools and up to date technical information.
And here is the url
http://www.kawasaki.com.au/company/support

Glad I found this, because I thought I had to pay them to keep the warranty as well. Going to save $$$ by doing it myself.
Note: This is from kawi Aus. Other countries may be different

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Q. Will my warranty be affected if the periodic service is done by a non - Kawasaki Dealer?
No. Warranty covers the unit for manufactured defects. The quality or lack of periodic service has no influence on whether a failure is a manufactured defect or not. Warranty does not cover failures caused by faulty workmanship. We strongly recommend you use an authorised Kawasaki Dealer as they are factory trained, have the necessary special tools and up to date technical information.
And here is the url

Glad I found this, because I thought I had to pay them to keep the warranty as well. Going to save $$$ by doing it myself.
Cool, thanks for that. The only prob I could see is Kawasaki turning around and saying that faulty workmanship on another dealer/service center's behalf caused the issue. Although they would then have to try and prove that they did faulty work, and it wasnt just a faulty part or parts to start with.

Good stuff to know, thanks very much General.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I recently took my bike for the 6000km service and they don't just change the pads.they gave me a check list of all the components that were checked and tweaked and the bike feel a lot better than it did before the service.just keep that in mind.these guys are pros and know what to look for and how to fix it to get the best out of your bike.it does cost a lot but I really feel that its worth it

·
Registered
47 Posts
I recently took my bike for the 6000km service and they don't just change the pads.they gave me a check list of all the components that were checked and tweaked and the bike feel a lot better than it did before the service.just keep that in mind.these guys are pros and know what to look for and how to fix it to get the best out of your bike.it does cost a lot but I really feel that its worth it
Yeah Im gonna refer to the manual, see what needs doing, when. If its a major service, I'll probably pay to make sure its done properly. Also, the sale staff told me that kawi will help you more if you get the services done proffesionally. Could be BS, could be accurate, I don't know

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
And here is the url

this is true *AFTER* the first service. im well aware of this, but what about the *FIRST* service, this still does not answer my original question

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya the dealer told me first service should be done with them. I know how to change my own oil. I just feel like I am getying raped at that cost. I judt dont want hassle on warranty work if needed.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Ya the dealer told me first service should be done with them. I know how to change my own oil. I just feel like I am getting raped at that cost. I just don’t want hassle on warranty work if needed. http://www.motorcycle.com/mobile

i understand, that’s why when i bought my bike, i did a lot of negotiating i got the 1st service included in the sale, i payed labour only

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i understand, that’s why when i bought my bike, i did a lot of negotiating i got the 1st service included in the sale, i payed labour only
Thats awesome! I never knew you could do that until I started reading threads on this forum. I would have done alot more negotiating.

·
Registered
239 Posts
so I just got my first service today. I asked the rep if the first service should be done at dealer or if its okay to do at home. according to dealer it doesn't void warranty, but it is HIGHLY recommended to be done by kawi rep. it cost me $111 for the service.
bike feels the same but nice having the peace of mind that a kawi rep took a look at it

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Thats awesome! I never knew you could do that until I started reading threads on this forum. I would have done alot more negotiating. http://www.motorcycle.com/mobile
course you can. its you product your buying. you tell them what you want not the other way around, i have been doing it for years with anything with wheels on it & even stuff that doesnt have wheels on it.

negotiation skills when getting a new product is a great skill to have;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
this is true *AFTER* the first service. im well aware of this, but what about the *FIRST* service, this still does not answer my original question
It doesn't matter whether you get them to do the first service or not, the warranty is still valid. The excerpt clearly states that routine maintenance, or lack there of, does not affect the warranty, and makes no reference to a disclaimer referring specifically to the first service. Hence your question was answered. Anyone who told you that the first service had to be professionally performed has either knowingly or unknowingly, lied to you. But don't feel glum, as it wasn't explained to me, or I guess 95% of other new owners. It was only my stumbling across this thread, and performing about 2 minutes of research that found the information. Remember its not Kawasaki who doesn't treat us well, it is the dealerships.

·
Registered
47 Posts
And here is the url
This was a direct copy and paste from the kawi Aus website, hence the reason why I included the url. Read it, there is other great stuff on this page. Such as, in our owners manual, it says Aus bikes can run with e10, but on the website, it states not to use any ethanol mix. I know that that example is poor, as we should all know that e10 will kill our rides, but a new rider, with no mech knowledge, running only off the advice of the manual would likely use the ethanol blend.
Long story short, look on the website. Its got good stuff

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
i want to get the 1st service 100% sorted out once & for all. i have just contacted kwaka australia via this

i want a 100% clear answer for all of us straight from the horses mouth so to speak about the 1st service, i really want to get this clarified.

hopefully i will get a response quickly

once we have this 100% sorted i will add this to our DIY sticky

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I ended up just doing it myself. It was really easy to change the oil and filter. Hope it doesnt void anything. Spent 50$ on 3 quarts mobil 1 synthetic. And mobil 1 filter. Bike feels better already. Or it might be in my head. 50$ is alot better than the 150 quoted.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Isnt labour the majority part of the 1st service bill?
my labour bill was $99 and that was their normal rate for 1 hour work! i didn’t ask what the parts cost would have been, but i suspect your right

1 - 20 of 91 Posts