Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Any reason not to do it you self, for the cost of a filter and oil? I understand some people are just not into doing service them self though.. This service is very easy to do yourself.

Then again, the owners manual tells you that the oil changes must be done by a dealer haha..

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well its a full checkup not just the oil change. if it was only an oil change i would always do it myself. Just wanna make sure everythings good while in break in :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Where at exactly in Socal? I live in Socal as well... Riverside area, but for a good price, I would be willing to take the longer ride.
I paid $141 at Champion Motorsports in Costa Mesa, also where I bought my bike. It was $99/hour plus cost of materials. I could have argued that my bike wasn't being serviced for the entire time but I had to get back to work. You may have better luck.

·
Registered
958 Posts
My dealer always wants me to leave the bike. That's a bigger problem than cost for me, for something as simple as an oil change, so I just do it myself. Also if you leave the bike, chances are they are not changing oil while it's hot cause it takes a good 20 min. of riding to get the oil up to temp. Some people ask the dealer to stamp the warranty booklet when you do the oil change. I've never done that, but it's not a bad idea. Come to think of it, I've never had a single warranty issue with any of my 3 Kawasakis. I did have one that was missing a piece...one of the 2 large push fasteners on the Ninja 650 belly fairing, but the dealer just took one off another new bike on the showroom floor.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Any reason not to do it you self, for the cost of a filter and oil? I understand some people are just not into doing service them self though.. This service is very easy to do yourself.

Then again, the owners manual tells you that the oil changes must be done by a dealer haha..

No problem with doing it yourself if you have the tools and know how, but I dont know how you lot go in the states regarding your warranty. Here in Australia I am pretty sure that to not void your warranty you need to stick with the service intervals as stated in the logbook/manual and these need to be signed/dated and sent in to the warranty centre/department and presented when making a warranty claim to show that you have not just ridden for 10,000 miles/kms without doing any servicing. Might work different in the USA but I would always check before you do any sort of servicing yourself that you are still complying with the conditions of your warranty.

Check up aftermarket parts too as this is the same, Kawasaki may not honor your warranty if they have evidence that you have modified your vehicle........ removal of any factory part even if replaced must be with a genuine kawasaki OEM part to stay within the warranty conditions. Thats how I know it in oz, well worth checking!!!

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Some people ask the dealer to stamp the warranty booklet when you do the oil change. I've never done that, but it's not a bad idea. Come to think of it, I've never had a single warranty issue with any of my 3 Kawasakis.
Good suggestion, always get them to stamp the book. I dont leave until they have. One minor thing could cost you........... lots of money and time without your weapon.

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
Check up aftermarket parts too as this is the same, Kawasaki may not honor your warranty if they have evidence that you have modified your vehicle........ removal of any factory part even if replaced must be with a genuine kawasaki OEM part to stay within the warranty conditions. Thats how I know it in oz, well worth checking!!!
might want to read kawasaki australia web site

http://kawasaki.com.au/company/support

Q.) Can I contact Kawasaki Motors directly for any warranty issues?
All warranty issues must be dealt with by an authorised Kawasaki Dealership.
Q. Will my warranty be affected if the periodic service is done by a non - Kawasaki Dealer?
No. Warranty covers the unit for manufactured defects. The quality or lack of periodic service has no influence on whether a failure is a manufactured defect or not. Warranty does not cover failures caused by faulty workmanship. We strongly recommend you use an authorised Kawasaki Dealer as they are factory trained, have the necessary special tools and up to date technical information.
Q. Will the fitting of additional accessories (genuine or non genuine) to my motorcycle, affect the warranty?
No. However, any modification from standard may affect the performance and/or durability of the unit. Failures caused as a result of an accessory or the fitting of, are not a manufactured defect and as such are not covered by warranty.

·
Registered
323 Posts
In the USA as long as you keep your receipts from the oil and filter purchase, you're golden. I have a hard time believing they are doing anything more than an oil and filter change. They may go through and tighten all the bolts, make sure nothing is loose and visually inspect fluid levels but that's all DIY stuff.

A few years ago I took my 750R to a shop for a quick oil change when I was in too much of a hurry to do it myself. The guy quoted me $65, said it would take him 15 minutes. When I asked why so high he told me straight out that it was the dummy tax. He said oil & filter changes are DIY maintenance items that tie his mechanics up from doing more lucrative work so to make up for it they have a high price.

I refuse! They already robbed me with almost $500 freight fee and another $200 assembly fee to just pull off the plastic and put the windscreen on. I can tighten all the bolts, check air pressure, chain tension, coolant levels, and anything else for the cost of the $12 filter and the oil.
If anybody can prove they do something of value during this "first service", I may reconsider. It's just another dealer perc. They get the sale, then ding ya again in 600 miles for the service.

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
if you read the service manual there is more to the first service then just an oil change, not only on this motorcycle, but just about every other motorcycle on the planet as well. there is also checking and adjusting clutch/throttle/brakes to name a few items

·
Registered
839 Posts
We will be doing our own services, no better way to get to know you bike inside and out.
There is so many readily available videos and such that it's easy to do, plus let's face it..it saves a lot of money. Not downing anyone who takes their bike in, but our kawi dealers are both a tad over an hour away and I kinda like the idea of taking my time and doing it.

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
I just did my oil change last night. I was going to have the dealer do everything for me (it's my first bike and the only maintenance I did on a vehicle before is ADDING oil and doing safety checks on my HMMWV (humvee) in the Army.)

I believe I am going to do the rest of the maintenance myself (as long as it is simple and I have good videos/instructions) rather than let the dealership rip me off.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.