Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone get em yet? I'm over 600 miles and planning on getting it done this weekend but I have a few simple questions... How much is it? How long does it take? And, what are they doing in all? I know they do some kind of valve adjustment but that's about all I know.. Any answers?? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
All you need is oil and a filter.. About $35 for me :) No reason to take it in unless you have an issue.. That is why you have a warranty, that is my though at least..

I don't think they do a valve adjustment at the first service, that requires ripping the engine apart..

In short they have a LONG checklist of thing to look ever.. Make sure everything is tight and adjusted correctly.. All items you could easily do yourself.. Its all listed in the manual..

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
For sure.. Take a look into the owners manual, it lists everything they do..

If you want to go above and beyond you can probably go on Google to find a list of first service items.. Nothing I own goes into the dealer or shop unless its for warranty work or a repair I dont want to tackle myself..

If you have any questions we can walk you though it.. We have a good member base on here.. Lots of guys knowing lots about motorcycles.. Its weird you go on the 250R board and its nothing but newbies, but on here you got the super sport guys that are down grading or looking for more comfortable commuter :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
For sure.. Take a look into the owners manual, it lists everything they do..

If you want to go above and beyond you can probably go on Google to find a list of first service items.. Nothing I own goes into the dealer or shop unless its for warranty work or a repair I dont want to tackle myself..

If you have any questions we can walk you though it.. We have a good member base on here.. Lots of guys knowing lots about motorcycles.. Its weird you go on the 250R board and its nothing but newbies, but on here you got the super sport guys that are down grading or looking for more comfortable commuter :)
Lol.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Just to actually answer the OP's question, in case he'd still like to have a professional take a look at his bike, my dealership quoted me $75-80 for first service.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Just to actually answer the OP's question, in case he'd still like to have a professional take a look at his bike, my dealership quoted me $75-80 for first service.
Thats really not a bad price, I expected it to be in the $100's because they make such a big deal out of the first service..

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Local customer was quoted $120-$130 for first service. He did what others have posted, sat down with his manual and said he has like $40 into it. Plus he learned as he did it himself and that makes it even better...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey guys,

thats a good info btw.

Im on my 200kms, still 800kms to go. and what kind of oil do you guys use? And also the filter?

Never service the motorbike myself :( used to take it to the dealer, back in my country service cost pretty cheap. lol

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm probably thinking of serviceing it myself but I'm still thinking of maybe taking it. Just for them to check I didn't break anything lol. I don't know yet. I'm at 300, so I still have time to go and think about it lol.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Mine goes in for 1000km service tomorrow got quoted $229.
Pretty sure I'll be doing all my future work myself.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'd check with my dealer to make sure there are no questions as to maintaining your warranty while completing you own service.

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
I was quoted something over $120 for everything. Did the oil change myself (under $25) so now they are saying $90... only a savings of like $5. But I definitely prefer to take the one time hit of $90 and have a professional look at it than trust my rookie eyes.

·
Registered
958 Posts
The valve adjustment is a very expensive service and comes at 7600 miles. It's expensive cause the labor is high because they have to take a lot of stuff off to get to the valve lash. More than half the Ninja 250rs on the road have never had their valves checked for this reason I read....and yet, they do seem to do fine. I don't know about the 300, but a motorcycle mechanic I know told me when they check valves on their Aprilias, they are almost always within spec under 20,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
The valve adjustment is a very expensive service and comes at 7600 miles. It's expensive cause the labor is high because they have to take a lot of stuff off to get to the valve lash. More than half the Ninja 250rs on the road have never had their valves checked for this reason I read....and yet, they do seem to do fine. I don't know about the 300, but a motorcycle mechanic I know told me when they check valves on their Aprilias, they are almost always within spec under 20,000 miles.

i dont know why everyone has a hart attack about doing your own valve shim checking and adjustments. its not brain surgery, its very easy to do.

theres plenty of videos around on how to do it to other bikes. if you have never done it before have a hunt thru youtube and watch a few then read the service manual, apply common sense and your all good;)

yes its time consuming and heaven forbid something on your motorcycle might take a few hours to do before you see a result and not just spend 5 minutes on it and see a result:eek:
expect it to take about 4 hours or so if you take your time, dont rush it, and do a decent job of it.the basics are a decent tool kit, torque wrench, service manual, and this program right here

http://vicdzen.narod.ru/main_eng/

if the above link goes down, shoot me a pm & i will send you the program

*edit* i believe our shims are 7.48mm, can use honda, suzuki, yamaha as well, so long as 7.48mm

·
Registered
561 Posts
i was quoted $125 when i bought the bike, but if i paid for the service up front it was $60. So I paid the 60 bucks. They made a big deal sounding like i would void my warranty if i didnt have them do the services.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts