Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone
I bought my bike Aug 15, 2021 and I currently have 400 miles on it. My dealership said change it at 600 but my question is if I don’t reach 600 anytime soon is there a months timeframe I should change it in. For example my car is 7500 miles or 6 months. I was wondering if the first oil change is like that.

·
Registered
559 Posts
1 year.

Did you get a brand new Ninja 300? Kawi stopped bringing the N300 in US in 2018.
Or it was used? If it was used, then the oil is there since the first owner drove it home. In that case, change it now. After that, change it every 6000mls or 1 year.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Absolutely crucial that you get that oil change done, and not too early, unless you will do it again at 600mi. When I was breaking in my brand new ZX-6R, that first change was really something. Loads of metal, clutch plate fibers, colored bits from assembly, and sparkly bits. Even the second oil change I did around 1500mi, and it was still quite dirty.

I would say if your bike is new, don't do the change too early. Part of the 600 mile thing is that it forces you to get enough run time, heat, and "breaking in" in order to get the majority of the bad stuff that wears off engine internals into the oil. That way, it can get caught by the filter and stay in the oil, and come out when you do that first change. If you did the change at say 300 miles, and then rode it to 3, 4, or 5000 miles, the second half of the "break in crud" would be wearing down your engine for all of those miles.

You'll get to 600 miles within the year, that's only 3-4 gas tanks on the N300 if that's what you got. I would not do the change any earlier than a year, because that is the break-in oil. Normally, after that, I would definitely recommend changing your oil regularly or slightly early, depending on your riding habits and conditions. But sounds like you don't do a ton of miles, so a good synthetic oil will easily last a long time sitting, easily the year mentioned above. You'll be fine there.

Also recommend doing the changes right after riding. The hot oil will freshly have all the crud pushed into the filter, and freely moving, and it will pour out quicker and more readily when you drain it.

-Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts