Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just picked up my 013 Ninja 300 ABS yesterday and clocked about 70km on it, 50 was from the dealership on highway.

On the highway it was absolutely capable of pulling away from traffic any time I needed to. So please throw that issue out the window if you are on the fence on whether or not you would like to pick up this bike

I come from a 2010 Vulcan 900 custom SE which had some monstrous low end torque. The Ninja however, when driving around town, is an ANIMAL!

Moral of the story, This thing flies around the city! and I don't see myself wanting to "upgrade" at all any time soon, If anything, I would by a 600 for the track or another cruiser later on as my collection grows.

Any one else coming from other bikes or perspectives have an opinion on the Ninja's power for potential new buyers?

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Moral of the story, This thing flies around the city! and I don't see myself wanting to "upgrade" at all any time soon, If anything, I would by a 600 for the track or another cruiser later on as my collection grows.

Any one else coming from other bikes or perspectives have an opinion on the Ninja's power for potential new buyers?
Honestly, if I were you, I'd pick up another 300 (or 250) for a track bike. Hence why I am here! Smaller bikes -> Focus more on technique.

You'll hear a lot of track day riders tell you how they get beat on the 600's by 250's because the riders perfect their cornering. Yes, the 600's and liter bikes will destroy them on the straights, but anyone can go fast in a straight line.

I remember riding the Ninja 250 and felt it was a good commuter bike for anyone wanting to bomb around town or get to work. I know of a guy who travels from here in NY up to Maine a few times a year on his 250, so the 300 is perfect for a beginner, or anyone wanting a cheap street bike with great mileage (or someone new to the track who wants to learn to become a great rider)

Reactions: Shenron

·
Registered
420 Posts
I was thinking the same thing whether i NEED the upgrade. Living in the inner city area the roads are ridiculously congested and i rarely get a chance to properly open this bike up. So I'm currently sitting on the fence about upgrading or not. Only time will tell i guess.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The 300 is enough for any road. Sometimes when everyone on the freeway is going 80 MPH I would like just a tad more power, but it still does the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
I think that sometimes too... But then I realize that everyone else just needs to slow down! If anyone knows the 118 freeway in So Cal (drive it daily), people go 100+ on there like it's the Autobahn. I drive fast, but I'm not gonna kill myself to keep up with a soccer mom who's late for work.

As for 'real world' power, the 300 is plenty fast.

-THE DON

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think that sometimes too... But then I realize that everyone else just needs to slow down! If anyone knows the 118 freeway in So Cal (drive it daily), people go 100+ on there like it's the Autobahn. I drive fast, but I'm not gonna kill myself to keep up with a soccer mom who's late for work.

-THE DON
Exactly. I'm always on I-15 and it is always a race to get somewhere. Other major freeways south of LA are way too congested. I like to stay in the pockets which can mean slowing down or speeding a little to get out of the "wolfpacks"

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
162 Posts

-THE DON
Hey The Don, my name is... Don! I drive 118 fw to get to my job at Thousand Oaks, I live in Valencia. But I'm not confident enough to ride on freeway as I am still a very new rider, got my abs Se 2 weeks ago and it's been raining here ( you know it!) for a couple of days now, which part of the city are you from?

·
Registered
257 Posts
i was instantly going to buy one of those till i saw the price...for a wire...and a 1 inch display lmao.
There's more to it than a display and a piece of wire. There's probably also a $2 micro controller (with however many lines of code to read the bus) and a shift register to drive the 7 segment display and then the KDS socket. :cool:

It's all wrapped up in a nice package and good to go. While my time isn't worth nothing, if you can do it cheaper and read from the data port then good on ya.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
just an fyi it got me up to 90 today with no problems what so ever. and i'm 5'10" 195lbs, give or take a lb.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I actually downgraded. The biggest bike I rode was a Busa, first bike was a ZX6R, then I had a YZF750R, and finally another ZX6R. I rode the heck out of everything I ever rode and loved it (including a YFZ450R sport quad). When I got on the 300R, I was not disappointed at all. I only got up to 60MPH but getting there impressed me. I can see how riding in a group with 600s and 1000s might leave you wanting more power but truth is most people with a 600 never even tap into all the bike has to offer.
For casual riding and brief HWY stints, I can't see getting left behind if you know how to ride. Anything under 100MPH and the 300R should be right there with the group. In the twisties, the 300R should be outpacing the 600s. Drop a gear, lay low, and get you a handful!

My 2 cents on upgrading:
I have associated with a few different biker social circles and most of the urge to upgrade is usually driven by peer pressure. When you pull up to hooters or bike night event on a 250R passing all those Gixxers and R1s, it feels like your on a toy. When they start up and pull off it's like thunder and when the 250R pulls off it's like somebody is mowing the lawn.
It's your money, your life, and your decision. I would never let anybody else determine what I do with my life and my money. If they don't like or respect my bike, doesn't matter to me. This 300 is plenty of fun.
If you can drag a knee, wheelie, and blow through gears drag style and this bike still isn't fun enough for you, then upgrade. If you're still putzing around granny shifting with 2 inch chicken strips and sore shoulders and arse from gripping the bars to tight, then you don't need to upgrade.

BTW I'm 5'10", 235Lbs and the bike scoots well!

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
I was running a work errand yesterday and had to take the interstate. On my way back, traffic was extra light and both sides of the road had barricades (no room for a cop to camp out). Brand new white camaro that I was following decides to floor it. I figured why not follow. I got left behind a LITTLE bit, but then realized I went from 60 to 94 in no time at all and slowed back down. This bike has PLENTY of power for it's size.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.