Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I'm looking into getting my first bike soon. Everything I've read and looked at points towards the 300, so I guess that's what I'll be saving for! I'm 18, 5/10, about 125 pounds. Any suggestions or advice of any kind? Is there any useless parts I can take off to reduce weight?

Where is the best place to look for used bikes? I reside in Phoenix, Arizona.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Welcome aboard! You'll love the 300. It's a great first bike (coming from someone whose first bike is the 300).

Please be sure to save up for gear as well. Expect to spend between 500-1000 on gear alone. If you haven't yet, start researching some things you might want. Then, PM Mike from Riders Discount (on this forum). He'll give you great deals!

Others will probably reply to talk about mods but, being a noob myself, the following are the only things I did and helped tremendously...

I changed the windscreen to the Zero Gravity Corsa to help reduce wind sheer. Before, at 35 mph, it felt like I was being blown off my bike. Now, I'm entirely comfortable at greater speeds. Yes, merely riding more miles will do this as well, BUT, after I changed the windscreen, I felt a noticeable difference.

I added grab on grips. During the first month or two, my hands felt like I developed tendinitis. After researching, many people recommended these grips. After I put them, I felt much better.

The mirrors will be almost useless, meaning, you won't be able to see anything except your elbows. I ordered and installed SW Motech mirror extenders. What a huge difference. I can now see behind me without having to contort my neck. I just look at the mirror and I can see everything. Probably the best mod ever (because of the safety factor).

The above suggestions will be about 250 or less, in case you're interested.

Oh, and take an MSF course!!!! Good luck and let us know when you get your bike!

D.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm 18, 5/10, about 125 pounds. Any suggestions or advice of any kind? Is there any useless parts I can take off to reduce weight?

Where is the best place to look for used bikes?
You only weigh 125 pounds, so I think you got the power to weight ratio covered!

Maybe invest in a light helmet? Seriously. It should help prevent neck fatigue.

Buying used reduces the financial weight, so that's good.

·
Registered
425 Posts
DSomething gave good advice. Definitely factor in rider gear and take the MSF course. I had most of my gear before I got the bike.

Also consider hearing protection. Foam ear plugs at a minimum. I'm thinking whether a taller wind screen would help reduce wind noise in the helmet. If it does, it would be a worthwhile mod.

If you get the ABS version--which I have and recommend--Yoshimura frame sliders might be nice to add, just to help protect the re-sale value by protecting the fairings from at least a lower speed drop. (Some frame sliders don't fit properly with the ABS system in the way.)

I think I triggered my ABS 3 times within 860 miles. Each time involved a round-about and my own error. Nothing major, but one day it could mean the difference between stopping and crashing.

I agree that the stock mirrors are pretty bad. I added cheap wide-angle mirrors to them and the view is still poor. Need to extend them out further.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I added grab on grips. During the first month or two, my hands felt like I developed tendinitis. After researching, many people recommended these grips. After I put them, I felt much better.

D.
could you post a link to the grips you purchased. i found various ones. what size is for the 300? did you put them on yourself? was it complicated?

sorry for bombarding you with questions. my hands are killing me from the stock grips.

·
Registered
267 Posts
could you post a link to the grips you purchased. i found various ones. what size is for the 300? did you put them on yourself? was it complicated?

sorry for bombarding you with questions. my hands are killing me from the stock grips.
This is what I ordered, from amazon...

Yes, I put them on myself. They slip right over your existing grips so you don't need to remove the ones you have. Just take soapy water and "lube up" the inside of the grip. Then, using a twisting motion, just pull them over your grips. So, not complicated and it worked wonders. They have been great because it widens the grip and it's soft and cushy. The only thing I have noticed is you have to be careful of your glove kinda sticking to it, causing me to be revving a bit at a stop. This has only happened twice and I assume I probably had a death grip at the time. Besides, you'll hear the revs and just release the throttle. No biggie really.

Best thing is they are cheap and if you don't like them you can just take them off...no harm, no foul.

Hoe that helps!

D.

·
Registered
425 Posts
This is what I ordered, from amazon...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00230P2E4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Yes, I put them on myself. They slip right over your existing grips so you don't need to remove the ones you have. Just take soapy water and "lube up" the inside of the grip. Then, using a twisting motion, just pull them over your grips.
Hey, I saw a video of a person changing grips using compressed air. If you have a compressor available, that might be something to try, Unless this product is too delicate for the force of the air. It worked very well for the rubber grips over metal.

Another option might be gel padding in the gloves.

(I have a problem with my throttle hand going numb. I found that the angle of my wrist was the main problem. I also stopped chocking up on the inside of the grip as much. What helped was relaxing and lowering my elbow to decrease the bend of the wrist.)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hey, I saw a video of a person changing grips using compressed air. If you have a compressor available, that might be something to try, Unless this product is too delicate for the force of the air. It worked very well for the rubber grips over metal.

Another option might be gel padding in the gloves.

(I have a problem with my throttle hand going numb. I found that the angle of my wrist was the main problem. I also stopped chocking up on the inside of the grip as much. What helped was relaxing and lowering my elbow to decrease the bend of the wrist.)
Yeah, I saw that video too but the soapy water worked very, very well. It literally took all of 20-30 seconds to put these things on with that method. I let them sit over night to make sure the water dried and haven't had a problem.

D.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome! Thank you very much for all the help. I'll honestly probably get all of those mods since they sound really nice and help with safety. I was going to get a darker windscreen and frame sliders anyways. I figured gear would cost at least $300-500, depressingly. It's all going to be worth it though! Before I even considered actually buying a bike, I wanted to take a MSF course, so that's not big deal. And yeah, the power-to-weight ratio should be nice with my lightweight figure, except for the fact that it also comes with weak ass legs; hence the desire to reduce any weight possible! It's still loud in full face helmet? That seems odd, especially with all the padding they have in there. A helmet with a build in headset would be extremely nice for me. Does anyone know where to get the cheapest kind?

Other than that, is there anywhere else to look besides Craigslist and CycleTrader for a used bike? All other websites I've found aren't very well known, so they don't have much to offer. In total, I've found probably 10 300s for less than 4 grand, so obviously I'm not looking in the right place.

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would LOVE to get the ABS trim, but considering it's only a 300 and it'll be significantly more expensive and I'm getting frame sliders regardless.. it's not my first priority to find a used ABS trim for a good price.

·
Registered
425 Posts
And yeah, the power-to-weight ratio should be nice with my lightweight figure, except for the fact that it also comes with weak ass legs; hence the desire to reduce any weight possible!

It's still loud in full face helmet?

I've found probably 10 300s for less than 4 grand, so obviously I'm not looking in the right place.
The 300 is easy to hold up with the legs, especially when it's balanced mostly upright. Just make sure the front wheel is straight before stopping!

I paid $3800 for my 1 year-old 300 with ABS found on Craigslist. Before giving up ABS, watch this: http://youtu.be/dJ_UkAFW6cA

Yes, the wind noise can still be loud in a full-face helmet. Depends on where the turbulent air hits it and the padding inside. I'm not suggesting these specific ear plugs, but read the article. http://motorbikewriter.com/pinlock-earplugs-may-save-hearing/

EDIT: On second thought, just do a search on wind noise and hearing loss.

I ordered a Windjammer to test it against wind noise. Feedback says that it probably will make the helmet warmer inside and more difficult to put on and take off. That's why I'm already thinking of getting a taller wind screen. http://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41hyC21l7vL.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The 300 is easy to hold up with the legs, especially when it's balanced mostly upright. Just make sure the front wheel is straight before stopping!

I paid $3800 for my 1 year-old 300 with ABS found on Craigslist. Before giving up ABS, watch this: http://youtu.be/dJ_UkAFW6cA

Yes, the wind noise can still be loud in a full-face helmet. Depends on where the turbulent air hits it and the padding inside. I'm not suggesting these specific ear plugs, but read the article. http://motorbikewriter.com/pinlock-earplugs-may-save-hearing/

EDIT: On second thought, just do a search on wind noise and hearing loss.

I ordered a Windjammer to test it against wind noise. Feedback says that it probably will make the helmet warmer inside and more difficult to put on and take off. That's why I'm already thinking of getting a taller wind screen. http://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41hyC21l7vL.jpg
Hahaha well I almost dropped my friends R6 when I was just sitting on it, stationary. Although that is quite a bit heavier, but still.. my legs are very weak lol.

DAMN I'm definitely going to be looking for an ABS model after watching that video, even though it looked like he purposely jerked it to the right every time without ABS.

Also, I'll probably get those earplugs/earphones, whatever you wanna call them. Thank you very much for the help dude! Is the whole general biking scene this helpful and polite?.. Or is it like the car scene where everyone has to bitch at each other for the most pointless BS? lol

·
Registered
664 Posts
Hey guys! I'm looking into getting my first bike soon. Everything I've read and looked at points towards the 300, so I guess that's what I'll be saving for! I'm 18, 5/10, about 125 pounds. Any suggestions or advice of any kind? Is there any useless parts I can take off to reduce weight?

Where is the best place to look for used bikes? I reside in Phoenix, Arizona.
You owe me a new keyboard, I just spewed water all over mine!!! 18, 5/10, 125lbs, and looking to reduce weight ... I'm not laughing at ya, I'm jealous.

What the guys on here already said.
1) Also save for gear. One of my buddies said a bike is only a down payment on your gear. Being a bit of a gear whore I can vouch for that. You'll hear some people mention that they feel uncomfortable wearing things like race boots, full gauntlet gloves, etc. It's about what you get used to. I've never ridden without those things so I feel uncomfortable if I'm not wearing full gear.

2) Insurance. Shop around. Don't just shop online, check with both agents and in independent agents. I used an independent agent and she gave me a quote from Progressive for $400/year. I went to Progressives website and with the identical info, for the exact same policy, I got a quote for $600. Insurance companies have different schedules for charges depending on who you're buying from. (I ended up going with a company called Dairyland.)

If you ever plan on doing trackdays make sure your policy covers you for that. Many insurers have exclusion clauses for events held on closed courses.

3) You'll hear a common complaint about hands/arms going numb. That's completely normal. The most likely cause is your riding position. The more aggressive the riding position the more of a tendency you'll have to support your upper body weight with your arms. This leads you to be a bit stiff on the bars which will cause this numbness. When you start practicing, when riding in a straight line, focus on relaxing your arms and supporting your weight with your core. As you get used to that, then start focusing on relaxing in the turns. That should help with the numbness.

As a demo of how loose you can be on the bars, and I don't recommend this, one of the guys I ride with will set his cruise control and lean the bike over for a sweeper. He'll have the bike leaned like 40-45 degrees and he'll take his hands off the bars and the bike rails through the corner. (I've even seen him drag knee doing this.) That's an extreme example but it demonstrates how light of a touch your bike needs even when significantly leaned over.

Anyway's welcome to the forum! :welcome3_smilie:

When you get your bike (and gear) make sure you post pictures.
:worthlesswopics:

·
Registered
15 Posts
The TechSpec tank grips don't look at sticky as StompPad. The California Superbike school uses StompPad, and they grip leather riding pants very well. The StompPads can also be uncomfortable if you are just wearing jeans.

I like to hang off the bike, and just got the StompPads. They definitely help me anchor myself to the bike while hanging off. If you are just getting the bike, you probably shouldn't worry about gripping the tank while hanging off just yet.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I've use the storm grip at super bike school. I decided to put the techspc on my 1krr since they look better. Both grip really well. Can't go wrong with either. I also have ez grip on my dragster and that had the most traction of the 3 brands. Those oem clear tank pads from kawasaki doesn't give grip. It just looks good and protect those tank areas from scratches.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts