Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well guys, today marks my 90 days of ownership and riding. in said 90 days i've ridden 1600 miles, exactly, for an average of ~533.33miles per month. when i first got the bike i was a bit apprehensive and didn't even think of riding anywhere but my immediate neighborhood. that lasted about a week. now i ride everywhere more than drive... and it's amazing to me the things i didn't really notice when i was driving. for example, where i live has lots of bridges. in a car you don't really notice how high up you are going or where you are going per se. on a bike it feels like you climb forever and a day and can see forever. one of these days i have to go on the sunshine skyway bridge.
i had intended to write a lot, but honestly, this is my day off and it's gorgeous outside... therefore i want to go ride somewhere fun lol.
i guess that's testament to how much i'm enjoying the bike.

keep in mind, im aware im no expert still a novice and still have a lot to learn, e.g. florida is flat with no canyons, so i haven't experienced any 'leaning off' scenarios, and truth be told, don't really want to w/o any kneesliders anyways, just on the offchance i caught the asphalt. but my skills vis a vis where they were on november 22 are a much more tremendous quality. i like to tell people who ask me about learning to ride that while the msf course is great, it's basically a licence to learn how to earn your licence, because basic parking lot skills are what you build your basic road skills off of, much like learning to drive 4- 6- 8- whatever wheels. you gotta cruise before you can fly...

Reactions: bosshunt and Woomba

·
Registered
839 Posts

Congrats :)
I'm only up to 600...so i'm a little envious of you!
College and work seems to keep my schedule pretty much on lock down :\
Then on the days I do get off i'm so busy doing stuff I have to get done that I usually only end up with 1 day free to ride somewhere...sucks.

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
Everyone starts somewhere. I'm 42 days and 1200 miles in (250 miles of having a passenger). I've had compliments on my riding style being far more advanced for someone who just started, but I don't let it get to my head and I still take my turns slowly, especially with my lady on my back.

Don't really care if I am good or "okay" at riding, I just care that I am having a blast and being safe.

Ride on!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
don't forget you also love borat in a thong ;)

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
Just did my mileage per month based off the 42 days of owning my bike. I am at 857.14 per month... I need to stay home more often.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Riding motorcycles will highlight to you the difference in temperate changes you miss while in a cage, particularly when going thru a dip on the road or a low level bridge across a river, plus all the smells you get when riding round you miss as well when in a gage, like fresh cut grass, and other stuff to like when going past fast food places

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Riding motorcycles will highlight to you the difference in temperate changes you miss while in a cage, particularly when going thru a dip on the road or a low level bridge across a river, plus all the smells you get when riding round you miss as well when in a gage, like fresh cut grass, and other stuff to like when going past fast food places
That's one of the things that I'm really enjoying actually. I feel a lot more connected to the environments I'm trudging as opposed to the "when do we get there?" sensations of cage operative. Today after I bought my lightning ticket, I rode over to Lakeland a distance of about fifty miles, give or take, just because. On the way I rode on interstate 4 just to get the experience but I rode the back roads home just to experience a countryside I hadn't yet seen. Bonus points: I finally took a corner marked for twenty faster than cars at forty five/fifty. fun times!

Sent from my LG-P999 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok so now that i'm done buzzing around for the day guys...

couple of things that in the first 90 days i've noticed.

1). old3 and the others who've said likewise: 1st gear is pretty useless.
2). those guys who are worried about power and acceleration have nothing to worry about unless they're planning to drag liters or something... i rode 40 miles today on Interstate 4 in central florida having no problem passing people at 85mph (for anyone who has been to the area, speed limit is 70 which means you're getting passed)
3). i'm blessed to be able to ride year round when we have these stories of guys in canada and minnesota with their bikes sitting on stands in their garage...
4). i don't know how some of you guys are getting passengers on this thing. i take up alllll the seat room in just making myself comfy on enjoying the ride...
5). i don't NEED a CBR600r or a R6. those are purely wants because the "lil 300" does everything a bike needs to do. and as others have stated, i can see how riding a fast bike slow is nowhere near as fun as riding a slow bike fast.
6.) I've turned into a gearhound; everyday if i'm not browsing or window shopping for something motorcycling related, i am at least discussing it.
7.) Rare is the Harley rider who will acknowledge a sportbike rider.
8.) There are a lot more motorcycle riders out there than I had ever noticed before. I guess when you're part of a community it makes it seem all that much bigger, cause conversely I never noticed there were that many mustangs out there until i started driving one.
9.) I make a game out of doing the ATGATT proceedure; I should cue up "highway to the danger zone" as my theme music. it's fitting; the title describes what it is like to ride but the lyrics also describe the adrenaline rush one gets from riding.
10.) I look forward to every ride i take even if it's a 5 minute jaunt to publix for something silly
11.) Riding position definitely plays a large effect on how comfy or windy a ride can be; i definetly hate riding sitting up when i'm on the interstate and sometimes i pretend to rival the GP racers with how good of a tuck i can pull down.
12.) Shifting is something you eventually are able to do on a subconcious level; i admit coming from an automatic car with 0 prior manual experience this was something that worried me a lot, which is one of the reasons i really wanted the ninja 300 what with it's slipper clutch etc. That said, even though i still sometimes make mistakes, those mistakes are fewer and farther between and every ride is an opportunity to nail those perfect shifts.
13.) Quick shifting is fun :)
14.) Having a vehicle that out-revs your 4 wheels nearly 3x is a bit disorienting at first...
15.) I've definitely caught the motorcycling bug! =D

Reactions: Phasor and SClown

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Been exactly one month for me now! I think I was at around 800 or 900 miles last I saw my bike. Definitely been a great bike and I don't think I'll miss my old 250 too much when I sell it off. Actually the friend I'm selling it to has already been holding onto the bike for the past 5 months and I've hardly thought about it at all haha.

·
Banned
562 Posts
i too have been riding 3 months but nowhere near ur mileage
kids work and travel divided by weather makes it hard. tomorrow high is 39
if that gives u an idea
heres my 10 list

1. I have more friends on this forum than real life
2. I like my friends on forum more than real life friends.
3. I have no need for a bigger bike. My 650r is great for passengers
but my 300 rocks for everything else.
4. I lose weight every day i ride. i am down 16 pounds so far
5. Riding does not cure depression but def helps focus elsewhere
6. I love the actual ride part. once my heated liners get here
i will be able to finally ride till i am tired. my biggest trip
is about 120 miles. i want more
7. I dont know if riding or wearing the gear makes me feel special
but i love going into a restaraunt and unzip jacket tuck gloves
u know the whole suit down part. guess im a poser
8. My kids love my bike its another thing we grow closer
9. I love looking for new gear / mods
10. one day ill get a great deal on a ss but till then and even beyond
my 300 is my main bike hehe

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah id like to see some serious study on the physical benefits of riding. i know they exist because my knees are no longer sore after 8 hours on my feet and my belly feels not as flabby i guess...

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
Just reading all those points makes me wanna come up with a list too.

1) DEFINITELY noticed that there are far more motorcycles out on the road than I could ever imagine. Riding around in my cage I'd noticed one here and there, but now it's pretty much every day I see at least 5-10 within a 15 minute ride.
2) I am on this forum every day. I talk with you guys more than I talk to my *extended* family (parents/ sister) and even my friends.
3) If I'm not browsing the online stores, or planning to go to one after work, I am coming up with design ideas in my head or on the computer.
4) You can ask the girlfriend... every time I put on my helmet and pull down my interior shades (exo-1100) I sing out loud "HIGHWAY TO THE DANGER ZOOOONEEE!"
5) I feel like vulnerable as soon as I take my helmet off.
6) I love the amount of attention I receive by going somewhere with my gear on, even if it's negative.
7) My lower back and neck pains have severely reduced since I started riding. Wearing a helmet probably works the neck muscles out and helps strengthen the damaged areas while sitting upright and using my legs/abs to keep my posture has also probably increased my strength.
8) I just feel so badass riding around
9) I honestly feel safer commuting with my bike than my SUV
10) Getting my woman a helmet and letting her ride on the back has severely improved our relationship because now we can enjoy it together and she doesn't feel left out!

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
I bought the bike a little over a month ago,,, was away from the bike from dec 16-jan 2 and still got 1750 miles 0.o lol
Depending on your responsibilities and where you live, that makes a big difference.

I live in the "7 cities" of Hampton Roads, so there are no big rides around here unless I am going to travel. I have joint custody of my son wednesday-saturday so I don't ride on those days (except to commute to work), leaving Sunday as my only day off alone with the my lady. Which means... 1200 miles in 1.5 months on a very tight schedule with only 3 "joy rides" is quite a lot in the 7 cities.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Depending on your responsibilities and where you live, that makes a big difference.

I live in the "7 cities" of Hampton Roads, so there are no big rides around here unless I am going to travel. I have joint custody of my son wednesday-saturday so I don't ride on those days (except to commute to work), leaving Sunday as my only day off alone with the my lady. Which means... 1200 miles in 1.5 months on a very tight schedule with only 3 "joy rides" is quite a lot in the 7 cities.
have you done the plantation run on route 5 yet? that's something i'd be all over if i still lived there...

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
No. I honestly don't know where the good riding is around here other than going down to Currituck Island in NC. Someone mentioned going up towards Richmond and I've also been planning to go out towards West VA during the spring, but yea.

Being new to the scene and not knowing any other riders except for my coworkers who got their bikes a week after me is a slow start!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Good evaluation of the 300. #2 and 5 are spot on for anyone who doesn't actually own one but is concerned about the 300 being too small. They are loads of fun. You do ride it differently than a fast bike though and have to pick your passing opportunities a little more carefully. But that probably makes it safer.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No. I honestly don't know where the good riding is around here other than going down to Currituck Island in NC. Someone mentioned going up towards Richmond and I've also been planning to go out towards West VA during the spring, but yea.

Being new to the scene and not knowing any other riders except for my coworkers who got their bikes a week after me is a slow start!

i hear you; i found out the local cycle gear has a meet tonight so i'm planning on going just to see what it's all about for that precise reason. window shopping never hurt anyone either

1 - 20 of 24 Posts