Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my name is Ian i just got My first bike, a 300, dealer will charge me 200 dollars for the 600 miles, i was thinking that's to expensive, i was thinking that i could do i by myself, but the problem is that i don't know where to start, any advices or walkthroughs would be well appreciated

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
honestly if you dont know where to start or what your doing you might well be better off getting the dealer to do it

welcome to the forum & thanks for filling in your location details.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Hi my name is Ian i just got My first bike, a 300, dealer will charge me 200 dollars for the 600 miles, i was thinking that's to expensive, i was thinking that i could do i by myself, but the problem is that i don't know where to start, any advices or walkthroughs would be well appreciated
No that seems pretty reasonable and on average with what others pay. Remember that part costs play a big role, so even if you were to do it yourself it would be best to get some prices on things like oil, filter etc and then work out the difference. That difference is what they will charge you for doing all the labour and other adjustments that you may overlook or miss. Chain adjustment is also a big one.

I would second what cruizin has said, at most if you are not sure what you are doing, changing the oil is a relatively easy process and could save you 50-60 bucks off the price of your service if you were to do even that yourself.

For me, I dont mind paying the extra for the shop to do it, for one if they fuck anything up, they are responsible to fix it...........

·
Registered
543 Posts
I plan on doing all maintenance and repairs by the dealer i purchased from just to keep the value of the bike up in case i decide to sell it later, also of course because they will be held liable for any screwups.

I've got about another 450 miles until my first scheduled service, only had the bike a couple of days and I put 150 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts
I'd do the 600 mile services yourself. The manual tells you what needs to be checked at 600 miles.

Also where in VA are you? I'm going to be riding from Ohio to Fredericksburg next weekend

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'd do the 600 mile services yourself. The manual tells you what needs to be checked at 600 miles.

Also where in VA are you? I'm going to be riding from Ohio to Fredericksburg next weekend
I would recommend having the dealer do your 600 mile service. They go down a checklist provided by Kawasaki. They ended up making adjustments to my breaks, clutch, idle and checked all the bolts. They went through the bike from front to back. If I was doing it myself I wouldn't have known to make any adjustments. After they were done the bike actually sounded smoother, braked harder and felt better. Could just be my imagination. I plan to do my own oil changes, but for major service bring it to the dealer.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
813 Posts
I would recommend having the dealer do your 600 mile service. They go down a checklist provided by Kawasaki. They ended up making adjustments to my breaks, clutch, idle and checked all the bolts. They went through the bike from front to back. If I was doing it myself I wouldn't have known to make any adjustments. After they were done the bike actually sounded smoother, braked harder and felt better. Could just be my imagination. I plan to do my own oil changes, but for major service bring it to the dealer.

Agree with this 100%, best to get your first major service by a Kawasaki mechanic. Changing oil is one thing but a first major service is probably best done by a professional!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Is it posibble to call up my dealer and ask for the first 600 mile service to get done for free? Or its to late been having bike for 3 weeks or so

Of course it is possible to call them up and request this. Just be prepared for the tech to drop the phone and start laughing. :)

So who has this mythical check list that the dealer is supposed to follow when performing the 600 mile maint?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Of course it is possible to call them up and request this. Just be prepared for the tech to drop the phone and start laughing. :)

So who has this mythical check list that the dealer is supposed to follow when performing the 600 mile maint?
Lol thats what i was expecting didnt hert to ask
I guess ill be doing it myself

·
Registered
89 Posts
Its all in the book
It looks like it is a 14 point check/service to me. Per the owners manual this is what is done on a 600 mile service.

1. set idle speed *1250-1350 RPM
  2. Throttle Control System-inspect throttle grip play (2-3mm spec)
  3. Fuel system (inspect for leaks)
  4. Coolant level
  5. Cooling system (inspect for leaks)
  6. Clutch Operation (clutch lever play (2-3mm spec)
  7. Change oil and filter
  8. Drive train lube
  9. Drive train slack (.8-1.2 inches)
  10. Brake system inspect lines/pads (1.5mm front/back)
  11. Brake Fluid Level
  12. Brake Light Switch operation
  13. Steering Play
  14. Condition Of Bolts, Nuts, Fasteners
I know maintenance is not for everyone. I will be doing my 600 mile service myself. I did a 60K on a 1994 Taurus SHO that I used to have. Many dealers wanted $3500-$4500 for that service (valves, plugs, wires, water pump, TPS etc etc. This seems much easier by comparison. The manual even details how/where to do these adjustments as well. I can also do them one at a time at my leisure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts