Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I have hit my first 1000kms actually 1128 to be exact and i called up for servicing which is schedualed in a weeks time thus between now and servicing i would clock about 50kms for my daily commute. 7 days x 50km = 350km more
So the question is would it be ok to keep riding the additional 350km and bring the odo up to 1500 or would this be bad for the engine since it just broke in and the oil is dirty?

Thanks heaps

·
Registered
952 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Don't be worried about the warrant, I can't remember exactly what threat it was on here, but a couple people contacted Kawasaki and they said that if they did not get the 600 mile service done by a shop that it does not void their warranty. Your warranty will be fine, they can not expect people not to ride around all the scheduling conflicts. I would of had my 600 mile service done on the spot if I didnt have to wait almost two weeks for an appointment.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright thanks yea the servicing is done by an authorised dealer and schedualing is tight. The main concern would be the engine really didnt wanna get anything wrong with it. Thanks though

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't be worried about the warrant, I can't remember exactly what threat it was on here, but a couple people contacted Kawasaki and they said that if they did not get the 600 mile service done by a shop that it does not void their warranty. Your warranty will be fine, they can not expect people not to ride around all the scheduling conflicts. I would of had my 600 mile service done on the spot if I didnt have to wait almost two weeks for an appointment.
Yea thats true i called before it hit the 1000 just heaps of people servicing and i would love to service it right on the spot but oh well just the main issue is the worry of the health of the engine with the breaking in oil

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
The oil will not be dirty at 600 miles or 1,000km. The first oil change is to remove any metal shavings from the oil as friction can create them on new surfaces with close tolerances. Metal shavings in your oil cause more wear on moving parts. After your first oil change, you will not need to change it again for 7,500 miles. Yes, modern oil will hold up that long and more...fully synthetic will easily double the miles between intervals.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
The oil will not be dirty at 600 miles or 1,000km. The first oil change is to remove any metal shavings from the oil as friction can create them on new surfaces with close tolerances. Metal shavings in your oil cause more wear on moving parts. After your first oil change, you will not need to change it again for 7,500 miles. Yes, modern oil will hold up that long and more...fully synthetic will easily double the miles between intervals.

I hope this helps.
There shouldn't be any metal on metal contact of any kind. That's the whole purpose for oil in the first place. The oil creates a non-compressible barrier of fluid so the metal surfaces never touch each other. The shavings are general leavings from the machining process that don't come out from the quick wash they give it at the factory. It would take too much time and money to do the thorough wash it would take to remove all of the shavings after machining and fitting so they just give it a quick rinse and rely on the circulating oil at high pressure to pull the shavings into the central location of the oil filter and eventually the sump as the oil filter fails. The reason you have that quick initial servicing requirement for the oil and filter is because if you leave those shavings to float around too long, they can work themselves under the oil and the huge amount of pressure underneath the oil can embed those bits of shavings into the surfaces. That and they will do a number on the oil filter and it'll clog and fail relatively quickly if you don't swap that initial bit of oil out. These oil filters work on the micron level and will filter out almost all of the shavings from the oil pretty quickly. But this will start to really clog the filter. The shavings generally aren't big enough to really see easily. After the machining process they are almost like a dust. When you change the oil you wont see little bits of metal. When you hold it up to the light it'll look like the oil is glittering. If it looks really shiny and sparkles a lot, then the filter probably clogged and got bypassed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts