Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When riding today I noticed that my right hand adapted to a new position when slowing down in traffic. My middle, ring and pinky would go to the brake lever and my thumb and index finger would remain on the throttle. I would engine brake with my 2 fingers and pull the brake lever with my 3 fingers pretty much at them same time, and then downshifting and blipping when RPM drop too low. I would use the same 2 fingers to blip as I downshift. It seems to be working great.

My concern is that the book I read shows picture of thumb, index and middle finger doing braking and ring, pinky are on the throttle? Is there a specific reason for this? Or I should just let my body adapt the best way it can and not over think this too much?

Also when doing quick stops, I normally use full hand to brake and downshift without blipping and no engine braking. I try to avoid these.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Do what feels right.

Its more natural for most to use index and middle finger as they are stronger and more coordinated with the brain.

I 2 finger break and clutch most of the time unless its breaking in an emergency and I use all fingers.

Each to there own i guess.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
When riding today I noticed that my right hand adapted to a new position when slowing down in traffic. My middle, ring and pinky would go to the brake lever and my thumb and index finger would remain on the throttle. I would engine brake with my 2 fingers and pull the brake lever with my 3 fingers pretty much at them same time, and then downshifting and blipping when RPM drop too low. I would use the same 2 fingers to blip as I downshift. It seems to be working great.

My concern is that the book I read shows picture of thumb, index and middle finger doing braking and ring, pinky are on the throttle? Is there a specific reason for this? Or I should just let my body adapt the best way it can and not over think this too much?

Also when doing quick stops, I normally use full hand to brake and downshift without blipping and no engine braking. I try to avoid these.
Your index and ring fingers are the two strongest fingers in your hand. Makes using just two fingers to brake with very easy and still allows you to maximize brake pressure. Also your ring and index fingers are the closest to the base of the lever. A little harder in the pull, but shorter travel pull distance. I can brake with just my index and middle finger and use the ring and pinky with help from the thumb to manipulate the throttle and brake at the same time. I can't go WOT, but it's enough to adjust RPM while stopping. If you function perfectly well doing this though, who's to say you can't use it? If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
on both left & right hand on the levers, i only ever use index & middle finger. i can get enough power to operate clutch & even if i yank hard enough on the front brake i can get the abs to kick in with just 2 fingers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts