Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I got up this morning and it was 38.8 Deg. F. But the roads were mostly dry after all the rain yesterday. They were forecasting snow but I doubted it because the radar was mostly clear and the temps were higher than they expected. So I geared up and took off! This was my first ride to work on my new Ninja 300 SE. I drive from Mannington, WV down to Clarksburg, WV (via 250 South, to 218 South, to 119 North to some old road to Manley Chapel Road to Industrial Park Blvd. to Nasa Blvd. to I79 South). I have about 25 minutes of awesome curvy back roads and then 10 minutes of interstate or I could continue to take more curvy roads but it adds an extra ~11 minutes to my trip.

Road conditions were good, the sun was just above the mountains and I had my new Nolan n104 and Cortech GX Air Mesh 3 with the rain and winter liners in it. I was pretty comfortable, not too cold most of the way to work. Although by the time I got to work I thought "I may just look into getting those grip warmers for my bike" because the handlebars actually felt cold. This was also my first time wearing my Nolan n104 helmet at interstate speeds. It felt much better than my previous helmets. My head wasn't constantly being jossled around in the wind like it was in my other helmets. The Cortech GX Air was comfortable and allowed movement in my arms and with the liners in, it kept me surprisingly warmer than I thought it would.

The Ninja 300 continues to feel awesome to me. It is so nimble and fun. I really love the feeling that I am "getting the most out of this engine". Becuase my bike is still new I keep the rpms varying and I don't redline it, but I still take it up around 10k rpms. On a colder morning like this morning though, I gave it a good 6 - 7 minute warm up while I was gearing up and I took it easy on it the first 3 or 5 minutes after I started riding (I kept the rpms around 4 - 6k). Thanks to the advice from you guys on this forum! :)

At one point in my ride I thought about passing this car while we were travelling up hill. I had my doubts about whether it would be a wise move because the passing area was very short and we were going up hill and I don't want to push my new engine up into the 13k rpms yet. So I just held off, backed off the car, and enjoyed the environment. Many people have said that "you notice the power of the Ninja 300 when you get up into the 10 - 13k rpm range" but the few times that I have taken it up into 10k and 11k I feel like there was more power around 8 - 9k rpms. It might just be me. Thoughts on that?

The braking power seems really good to me, but I recognize I have gone from a big Harley down to a lightweight bike. I wish the turn signals would recognize when you lean the bike back up and automatically turn off. Nothing much I hate more than realizing that I forgot to turn off my signal a few miles back. :)

When I rode into more congested areas I noticed people at intersections turning their heads and watching my bike go by. I think it is because it looks so nice and the bright green stands out. It could be my bright yellow helmet and matching jacket on the bright green bike that is causing them to turn their heads laughing or something but I think it is just the bike - I have had a few compliments on the look of the Ninja 300.

I have noticed on other longer trips that after 45 minutes my rump starts to get soar. Here again I went from a custom soft seat on my Harley to the stock seat on the Ninja. I may go after some kind of gel seat for my Ninja but for now I will just have to watch more "Iron Butt" exercise videos.

Well I made it to work just fine and walked into the building happy as a lark. I even looked back from the third floor window and saw my sleek looking green machine sadly looking up at me begging for more time on the roads. <sigh> alas, there will be more but for now I had to work.

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
the 300 seat has to be one of the worst stock seat i have sat on because of how hard it is. having said that i have almost 2500 kilo meters on it now and the seat is starting to soften a little, but im so glad i made myself a gel / sheepskin pad for my seat for long trips

1 - 2 of 2 Posts