1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally found the code for it
now to get this printed on a card so i can show a cop if he stops me lol

TCA 55-8-110 - Traffic Control Signals - Inoperative

(b) Notwithstanding any law to the contrary, the driver of a motorcycle approaching an intersection that is controlled by a traffic-control signal utilizing a vehicle detection device that is inoperative due to the size of the motorcycle shall come to a full and complete stop at the intersection and, after exercising due care as provided by law, may proceed with due caution when it is safe to do so. It is not a defense to a violation of § 55-8-109 that the driver of a motorcycle proceeded under the belief that a traffic-control signal utilized a vehicle detection device or was inoperative due to the size of the motorcycle when the signal did not utilize a vehicle detection device or that the device was not in fact inoperative due to the size of the motorcycle.

(c) The driver of any vehicle approaching an intersection that is controlled by a traffic-control signal that is inoperative because of mechanical failure or accident shall come to a full and complete stop at the intersection, and may proceed with due caution when it is safe to do so; provided, that if two (2) or more vehicles enter such an intersection from different directions at approximately the same time, after having come to full and complete stops, the driver of the vehicle on the left shall yield the right-of-way to the vehicle on the right. A traffic-control signal shall not be considered inoperative if the signal is operating in flashing mode. If a signal is operating in flashing mode, it shall require obedience by vehicular traffic pursuant to § 55-8-112.

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
Yeah I saw it for Virginia as well. We just have to wait either 2 light cycles or 120 seconds, whichever comes first, before proceeding if it is completely safe to do so. If a cop pulls us over, we can explain but shouldn't fight the officer and then when it goes to court it will be dismissed. Which is retarded to go to court when obeying the law since I will have to miss out on work and (maybe????) have to pay court fees.

·
Banned
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeh thats what i do. I wait 2 cycles that way i dont have to get my ass jumped by a cop for not waiting long enough

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
The only time it happened to me, I backed up, crossed to the right turn lane, took a right, went down a little bit and did a legal U-Turn. The road was too busy for me to proceed safely across, so I just went around like that.

Of course a bunch of cars pulled up after I did that, but I was long gone by the time they got a green light.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Where did you find this? any page reference? or what bokk etc? i'd like to look mine up for NH, dont know where to start looking

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
§ 46.2-833. Traffic lights; penalty.
B. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, if a driver of a motorcycle or moped or a bicycle rider approaches an intersection that is controlled by a traffic light, the driver or rider may proceed through the intersection on a steady red light only if the driver or rider (i) comes to a full and complete stop at the intersection for two complete cycles of the traffic light or for two minutes, whichever is shorter, (ii) exercises due care as provided by law, (iii) otherwise treats the traffic control device as a stop sign, (iv) determines that it is safe to proceed, and (v) yields the right of way to the driver of any vehicle approaching on such other highway from either direction.

Source = http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-833

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
I used to have the printed for my location and under my seat on my 600.. Forgot about it when I sold the bike haha..
I have just printed 3 copies of my state code, thanks to your idea. One for me and 2 for some officers under me.

·
Banned
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i actually went to google
then typed in

motorcycle codes tennessee

thats all and then it took me to a page where i could look it up

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
yeah that's a nice law ... I wish all states would implement it

·
Registered
909 Posts
Most states have that law. But it's usually worded that if you wait "an appropriate length of time" without the light turning you can proceed when the coast is clear.

But the "amount of time" is officers discretion.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've heard of people getting pulled over for this.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm glad in my town all of the lights cycle thru all directions regardless but for ONE light near the office I used to work out of. Even if you were in a car it wouldn't cycle you thru unless you stick your nose into the intersection, the loop is VERY poorly placed.
The rest of the lights just cycle faster depending on traffic.

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
I've heard of people getting pulled over for this.
Naturally an officer would pull you over if he rides up and 2 seconds later watches you go through a red. He doesn't know how long you've been there. Just calmly state your reasoning and inform him of the law giving you permission to do so. If it goes any further, present your argument in court and have it dismissed there.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Thanks for presenting this. Waited near 20 minutes at a light the other night. Had a car pull up behind me and then a green light. Never thought I'd be so happy to see a car on my a$$.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Finally... I can prove its legal to go thru a red inoperable stop light

JTackm:

Might want to google California Vehicle Code section 21800 (d).

Would have saved you 14 minutes.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPod touch using MO Free

·
Registered
184 Posts
Damn it. Colorado doesn't have it. I might try to get it put into law, because I was sitting at a light the other day for about 10 minutes and it never gave me a green, so I turned around since I didn't know if I could use it like a stop sign.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Idaho, you have to wait a full cycle.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts