Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I recently got moved to South Korea (Military) and had my bike shipped over with me.
When shipping it overseas it had to be completely drained of all fluids, (brake, coolant, gas, oil). It just got warm enough that I was finally able to replace it all.
Because of my location its very hard to get all the required things, so I mostly stick to ordering everything online.
One issue I'm having is my bike won't turn over. I assume the battery is about dead, but even when I tried jumping it with my car it still wouldn't turn over. I put it on a battery tender but even after it said fully charged it wouldn't turn over. I measured it with a voltmeter and it read as roughly 10v, so not too bad. Does this seem like a bad battery? I attached a video of what happens when I'm trying to start it and what it sounds like. The headlights turn off when trying to turn over, is this normal?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO1_u5vJcgM&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqporQMsqtc&feature=youtu.be
I also put a 40t rear sprocket on but I have never adjusted a chain before. It looks correct to me but I also got a video of it just to get a second opinion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npvGd8fpuxw&feature=youtu.be
Thanks for the help in advance!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
10 volts is a dead battery. A good battery holds around 12.8 volts, and a bike needs 12+ volts to turn the motor over smoothly.

Your engine turns over like the battery's fine and has higher than 10 volts. It sounds like it's not getting gas or spark. Check your engine kill switch and kick stand switch as well as your ground connections. Somethings preventing it from getting gas or spark. Does the fuel pump prime when you turn on the key? If not, then it's not getting fuel.

Also, your chain has way too much slack. It needs to have about an inch of play at the loosest point. Yours looks like it has 2 inches.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear the priming sound when I go to turn it on. The engine kill switch also seems to be working fine, as it won't let me try to start it at all when it's on. The kick stand switch is the same way, when it is in gear and I don't hold the clutch in, it won't let me try to start it. I'll go back over the ground connections.

Everything was working fine before it was shipped here so I'm not sure what happened.

Thanks for the info on the chain, I'll go back and tighten it some more.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I thought was weird as well. I put two gallons in it after I was done with everything else because I originally thought it didn't have enough gas and that's why it wasn't starting, however that wasn't the case. The only other thing I can think of is that the battery is actually bad and that's the solve of my problems.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
My gas gauge doesn't blink like that either.

Do you have jumper cables? Try to attach the jumper cables from a car's battery to the bike's battery. Do NOT start the car. Read the voltage. I should be 12.6v or so.

Try starting the bike with the jumper cables attached. If it starts, you know your battery is the problem. Let's say if it does start, remove the jumper cable and let the bike idle for a minute. Take the voltage again with the bike running on its own. It should read somewhere in the 13 or 14v range. That means the bike is charging the battery.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update:

I bought a new battery and put it in, but it does exactly the same thing.

cadd, I did the jumper cable trick on my first battery to no avail, it still didn't start. I tried it again just now with my new battery and it still didn't turn over.

I'm running out of ideas, maybe the tip over sensor somehow went bad when it was shipped over.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Maybe it needs a little "push?" Push start the Ninja. Turn on the ignition, killswitch on, and keep the bike in 2nd gear. Engage the clutch and roll down a hill hitting the starter. Roll the throttle slightly, but make sure to not flood the engine.

I guess the only downfall to this is if it doesn't work, you'll have a grand time getting that bike back up the hill.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Update:

maybe the tip over sensor somehow went bad when it was shipped over.
I think the tip over sensor cuts off power to the starter motor until you turn the ignition off & then on again. Since your bike is cranking, that sensor does not seem to be the problem.

How did you drain the fuel? Did you lift the fuel tank?

Regards,
Kaustav

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You guys are going to LOVE this.

So just for curiosity sake I decided to lift the tank to see how hard it would be to change the spark plugs. As soon as I lifted it up I saw that the fuel pump was disconnected (how it still made the priming noise in the video is beyond me). I reconnected that, went to start it, and gas went EVERYWHERE. Turns out in my haste I didn't look at the bottom of the fuel line where it connects to the throttle body for the fuel injection, so naturally gas went everywhere.

My theory is that the person I had drain the gas for me decided that instead of using a siphon or something like that, he decided to drain it form the fuel line then not connect it back.

So I tried putting the line back on, but now I am stuck trying to get it all the way on and that damn little red clip will not go back on. I tried to pull it back off but I can't get enough leverage and I tried pushing it further but I can't get it any more on there. I attached yet another video in hopes someone can see what I am doing wrong and why it won't go all the way on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0sTr2_KfgQ&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for all the help everyone.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update:

I tried pushing much harder on the clip and it went it just like it should. Guess I was too afraid of breaking it originally, but that didn't happen.

After that I went ahead and tried to start it and it turned right over like magic. Needless to say, I'm much happier now.

I do have one more quick question, the coolant i picked out is Prime by Prestone 50/50 (linked below). It says safe for aluminum but doesn't mention anything about silicate free. Do you think this would be OK to run? I checked and it is green. Thanks again!
http://www.prestone.com/enmx/node/422

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I think the tip over sensor cuts off power to the starter motor until you turn the ignition off & then on again. Since your bike is cranking, that sensor does not seem to be the problem.

How did you drain the fuel? Did you lift the fuel tank?

Regards,
Kaustav
If i remember right, in some videos I've seen of this bike after its tipped over is that the BAS kills the fuel. That's what I've seen in other model bikes happen as well, so it will just crank over without turning on until you flip the kill switch and turn the key.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Update:

I tried pushing much harder on the clip and it went it just like it should. Guess I was too afraid of breaking it originally, but that didn't happen.

After that I went ahead and tried to start it and it turned right over like magic. Needless to say, I'm much happier now.

I do have one more quick question, the coolant i picked out is Prime by Prestone 50/50 (linked below). It says safe for aluminum but doesn't mention anything about silicate free. Do you think this would be OK to run? I checked and it is green. Thanks again!
http://www.prestone.com/enmx/node/422
Should be fine. Also if you read further down the description, it says the water portion of the formula has been "demineralized" which I'm to assume that it's been fully distilled.

·
Registered
246 Posts
If i remember right, in some videos I've seen of this bike after its tipped over is that the BAS kills the fuel. That's what I've seen in other model bikes happen as well, so it will just crank over without turning on until you flip the kill switch and turn the key.
I guess you are correct. I have till date dropped my bike twice & both times I forgot all about the tip over sensor & tried re starting until the blinking engine check light reminded me. Unfortunately, I do not remember whether the starter motor was working or not.

Regards,
Kaustav

·
Registered
161 Posts
What DID we ever do before internet forums? Oh yeah ... pull our hair out ... and drink too much beer. Glad to say the first part's solved.

What a great place for information. :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
I was going to add, the fuel connection to the throttle body is way, way tighter than the tank. I was surprised.

Glad you got it sorted.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts