Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike feels rough all of a sudden for the past 2 days or so. Maybe it's because I rode without a helmet for a bit. It sounds louder, and I don't mean exhaust. I mean the bike itself sounds louder than it was when I got it 1.5 weeks ago. I have 200 more miles or so until 600 mile service, so I guess everything will be checked anyway. Anyone else notice this or is it just me?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Check the oil level is still good?

·
Registered
523 Posts
The heat is pretty normal, but you might want to call your dealership and have them take a brief look if you suspect something is seriously wrong. It's a new bike, let them take care of it.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
You are probably just getting comfortable and turning the throttle further as compared to the first few times you rode it.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The heat is pretty normal, but you might want to call your dealership and have them take a brief look if you suspect something is seriously wrong. It's a new bike, let them take care of it.

I dont think something is seriously wrong, just sounds rougher, prob just first sign of needing 600 mile service

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are probably just getting comfortable and turning the throttle further as compared to the first few times you rode it.

I thought that too as now I get through the gears faster and less hesitant. Going to have it checked for sure

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Nothing in that service will alter how it runs. Unless you have a mechanical defect it is probably just what I said. Some have reported they though it got louder too, but the exhaust is a solid baffle system, nothing to break in. I believe it to be the same cause, just cranking the loud handle harder as you get used to it.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Nothing in that service will alter how it runs. Unless you have a mechanical defect it is probably just what I said. Some have reported they though it got louder too, but the exhaust is a solid baffle system, nothing to break in. I believe it to be the same cause, just cranking the loud handle harder as you get used to it.

Oil change.
Chain adjustnent, a slightly loose chain from break in could definitely cause the bike to feel a little rougher. Also, it sounds louder even going slow. I also can hear the chain more now than before. Prob just needs a adjustnent.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
I'm at 2500 miles without adjusting the chain yet. Even a slightly loose chain will not be obvious to the rider. If you can feel an oil change you have already run it to the point of destruction. :cool:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Oil change.
Chain adjustnent, a slightly loose chain from break in could definitely cause the bike to feel a little rougher. Also, it sounds louder even going slow. I also can hear the chain more now than before. Prob just needs a adjustnent.
I got you man, my bike felt the same way, don't worry. After the oil and oil filter change, and a chain cleaning and re lubing. You will notice a bit of a difference, like the bike will run smoother and feel like it breathes better. If that makes any sense. But I never "adjusted" my chain- just cleaned and re-lubed.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Agree. After the first oil change, the bike does run smoother. It even ran smoother after my oil change at 50 miles following a hard break-in. The oil was really dirty too. If my bike ran suddenly rough, I think I would do an early oil change myself. I would also warm it up and go wind it out just in case the plugs might have some deposits on them. Valves out of adjustment would make it run rough too along with bad gas and a bunch of other things. The Ninja 300 is not the smoothest bike to begin with. Part of the charm. Both my Street Triple r and Gixxer 1000 are silky smooth. An extra cyclinder or two helps. A big single cylinder bike really vibrates as a rule.

·
Registered
392 Posts
300 miles and it's slightly rougher it seems. Maybe I'll do it quick oil change.

·
Registered
958 Posts
If you are using full synthetic, Rotella T6 which is JASO MA rated and works very well with the Ninja 300 (I use it in everything) is on sale. At Walmart you can buy 2 gallons and go online and fill out a form to get $5 off for each jug or $10 total off the 2 gallons. This rebate runs until the end of April. That should make an oil change less than $25 including the oem filter. My Kawa dealer also offered a 40% off on a single part and I picked up a filter for $7. Makes me wonder what a dealership actually pays for their full synthetic oil. The Yamalube semi-synthetic probably costs them less than a large coke at McDonalds....speaking of which, do you know what McDonalds pays for diet Coke? Ans: about 4 cents a gallon.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you are using full synthetic, Rotella T6 which is JASO MA rated and works very well with the Ninja 300 (I use it in everything) is on sale. At Walmart you can buy 2 gallons and go online and fill out a form to get $5 off for each jug or $10 total off the 2 gallons. This rebate runs until the end of April. That should make an oil change less than $25 including the oem filter. My Kawa dealer also offered a 40% off on a single part and I picked up a filter for $7. Makes me wonder what a dealership actually pays for their full synthetic oil. The Yamalube semi-synthetic probably costs them less than a large coke at McDonalds....speaking of which, do you know what McDonalds pays for diet Coke? Ans: about 4 cents a gallon.
The people I took MSF with actually own a shop, and I had them do it. The receipt says Respol Synthetic, cost 14.43 for 2 quarts which includes my 15% discount I get since I took the class with them. They used a 303 K&N filter, so far so good. They also checked my clutch lever / play / brake lever...adjusted and lubed the chain...dealer wanted like 180 for the same thing, lol

1 - 20 of 51 Posts