Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike a month old (500km) and I have noticed that this section of black trim is fading already. It has three distinct lines running across one end. I did notice that is was slightly faded (compared to the other side) one the day I picked it up from the dealer. On that day the plastic had a hazey coating on it which I thought might have been some detailing overspray. Mild car detergent removed the haze but did not bring back the black. That was the day I also noticed a deep scratch in the rear seat where someone had obviously carelessly dragged a boot over in the showroom. The dealer subsequently swapped the seat over.

I don't think it is very good and I will be sending dealer an email asking for the fading plastic to be looked at at time of first service. I also want the pop out fairing issue and the rusty exhaust tip looked at the same time.

Am I being too anal and should I just get over it?:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
Plastic trim that is left in the sun will fade over time. If this bike was in the dealers window and recieved daily light for the past 6+ months or so that would explain the fading.

If you would like to preserve the look of the plastic, don't just wash it with car soap but use a plastic trim treatment that has good UV protection. On my old car I used to use something called 303 Aerospace protectant. The only problem with this stuff is that it runs when it gets wet...so I'm not sure I'd use it on a bike. I'm sure you can find similar products though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Haven't used it personally but I hear really good things about this one: it's from mothers and its called back to black, really cheap too, couple bucks for a bottle here in ontario.

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/06108.html

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm still going to question the dealer about it. I don't think it should look like that after a only a month. It was only delivered to the dealer the week before I picked it up because I had to wait for the them to get stock. I suspect some alcohol based detailing product was used on it when they got it ready for delivery and that's what's caused the fading. My 5 year old honda cbr only just started to have plastic fade and it had a pretty hard life.
I reckon it should be a warranty job. Why should I have to already start using products to try and restore the plastics to their new appearance when they are still brand new.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
for the o/p get the dealer to replace it under warranty , hopefully they might, if not, write a letter to kwaka head office, their details are in the back of the owners manual

·
Registered
299 Posts
I just looked at my bike. I have the same marks on that same panel. They seem to be light ridges, so I think they are some sort of stress or stretch marks. Dunno what's underneath.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Too anal! The three lines are because its cast that way to seal the air filter underneath! Its going to fade! The exhaust, are you going to get aftermarket? The fender, how bad is it? Would you have even noticed if it wasn't all over this site? Mine's out maybe 2mm - 3mm not really bothering me!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Too anal! The three lines are because its cast that way to seal the air filter underneath! Its going to fade! The exhaust, are you going to get aftermarket? The fender, how bad is it? Would you have even noticed if it wasn't all over this site? Mine's out maybe 2mm - 3mm not really bothering me!
1: That may explain the 3 lines but not the plastic fade. I'm thinking that since the fade has been obvious since delivery ( and worse now only after 5 weeks of ownership) that it falls under defective materials and as such i am going to demand to have it replaced under warranty. Other posts on this thread have suggested restorative measures but why should that happen on a brand new bike.
Kawasaki's own advertising blurb says:
"Ninja Style and Attitude - painstaking attention to detail means a superb level of fit and finish quality"

2: No...I have no desire to get aftermarket exhaust.

3: My fairing is out more than yours and yes I did notice it the afternoon I picked it up from the dealer which was before I read about it in these forums. I did email the dealer about it BEFORE I joined the forums...the info here (thanks Cruizin) has just giving me additional backup when it comes to having it rectified.

I guess it comes down to each individuals expectations and what they are happy to accept as a standard of fit, finish, function and reliability from a new product. We may differ on this. If I wanted a bike with plastic fade and fairing popouts I would have purchased the thrashed 2005 Honda CBR 600rr for $6k that I test rode the month before I bought the Ninja:rolleyes:
I intend to use the warranty to its fullest. After all, if Kawasaki says its fit and finish is "SUPERB" than why just I accept any less? With any luck Kawasaki will come to the party.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
summed it up nicely, thats what i have been saying for ages, i payed $8950 for my bike & my money is just as good as someone else who pays $20,000 for a ZX14 and im stuffed if i will accept 2nd best, i never have and im sure as hell not about to either

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Awesome way to help out mate! :rolleyes:

It may not bother you, but it does others.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Well mate! The dude asked the question and I answered it with my honest belief! I totally respect his opinion to disagree with me. But as for you leaving coments like that, if he didn't want to hear that he was being too anal maybe he should have asked his dealer and not the forum! Seriously dude didn't you just tell Bryce to stop being a baby and leave these comments out? Thanks dude!

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Mate what are you talking about I am talking about where you said this not bothering you:

learner said:
Mine's out maybe 2mm - 3mm not really bothering me!
It may not bother you but it does others. Chill.

And no I said in short to help out instead putting others down when they get something not quite right. ;)

bryce said:
Not trying to be an ass, but really. It's a spacer, what else would it do? It's pretty obvious that it only belongs in one spot. Sorry man, I know i sound like a dick.
jeff said:
Its a spacer yes. What is spaces is not clear on the instructions. Does it space the gap in between the bracket to the muffler? What about spacing the gap from bolt to the front of the bracket so the bolt doesn't stick as far out the back? There are a number of positions that this could go in which is why some get confused even with the instructions.

I would try and help out in a different manner by pointing out in a more helpful way that it is maybe not in the right spot instead of responses that add no value and just make people feel small for getting it wrong. Otherwise you will find when you have another question or problem with something else on the bike, one of those people may have an answer to your question. They just wont tell you.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey guys... it's all good. As I said, I everyone's different and I totally respect that. I was just interested in what others thought. After all isn't that what the forums are about? I read the replies and these helped me decide what I should do.....although I sort of knew that anyway.
I am a bit anal with most things.... shit I wipe the bike down after EVERY ride. I must wash my hands a hundred times a day! (but that comes from working in a hospital)
Sorry guys.... didn't mean to start a blue. All friends?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts