Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Jeff, do you have a vid with the sound of this modified baffle? I love the sound of Brans without the baffle but I saw a bike cop on the bridge on Mortimer Road lasering the freeway and am worried they pick me up for it being too loud (when I do get it). She says it makes a more deeper sound but not louder. The sound her bike makes it exactly what I want TBH. Does this baffle make a deeper sound close to it?
Where abouts are you mate? You in Kwinana yeah? I can drop by your place or I can meet you somewhere for you to have a squiz mate, PM me if ya wanna do that. Sounds much different in person to on a vid thats for sure.

Otherwise........

No video, but I will see about doing one this weekend for ya. I dont have a go pro or video camera or anything like that really, so it will have to be with my crappola camera that will do video. Will do a short one for ya tonight when I get home with some revs as it will be nice and warm, and then a drive by on the weekend.

Basically it sounds near exactly the same tone as when you run with the baffle in, just......how do I say......a reduced "barkiness" at higher rpms and not so much of a farty noise cruising at lower rpms. I would say it dropped the dB at high rpm by a couple. The sound at higher rpm now seems more throaty than before. Revving at a standstill doesnt sound too much different than before.

I really noticed it the other day, when I put the original unmodified baffle back in. Went for a ride and though holy shit thats so much louder. My modified baffle went straight back in.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Thanks for that but with the damn rain about, I don't want you to get your bike messed up, seeing you just washed and waxed it, as me.

I remember seeing one of your videos where as you rode by your camera. I also remember that farty noise. If it is now eliminated in a big way compared to that sound in that video, your baffle mod would be a winner and a lifesaver.

I really love the deep throaty sound without the baffle altogether when I hear it in Brans' videos. In all honesty, is it louder than that we hear on a Harley?

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks for that but with the damn rain about, I don't want you to get your bike messed up, seeing you just washed and waxed it, as me.

I remember seeing one of your videos where as you rode by your camera. I also remember that farty noise. If it is now eliminated in a big way compared to that sound in that video, your baffle mod would be a winner and a lifesaver.

I really love the deep throaty sound without the baffle altogether when I hear it in Brans' videos. In all honesty, is it louder than that we hear on a Harley?
Bike is sitting out the front of work at the moment mate, ute has done a clutch (too many big power drifts :cool:) so my bike is my only transport at the moment. Washed and waxed her before the ride with my mate just so my little 300 looked half decent next to the weapon that is his 10R. :eek: Plus had been a month or so since she had a bath, the rain doesnt make her look too pretty after a while. On a side note, my mate reckons these 300's look bloody mint and actually prefers the shape of my tank compared to his. Reckons they are awesome bikes, he took mine for a spin and couldnt wipe the grin off his face. Good stuff. I took his for a spin while he was on mine.........scared the fucking shit out of me in all honesty, that throttle will send you to the moon if your not careful.

Have been riding everyday for the last 2 months. So no biggie if you want me to swing past somewhere mate, work in Henderson and live in Hillman so pretty much go right past your way. Can drop past any day mate, no probs at all.

I did like the sound of the baffle out, especially at idle, but it was just so bloody loud at higher rpms and general cruising at 6-8000 rpm. The deep idle was music to my ears but I just couldnt deal myself with the volume of it for the rest of the time. Plus I wanted to keep attention away from those in blue if ya know what I mean. Still........nowhere near as loud as a Harley thats for sure.

Yeah that farty noise still seems to be there, just not as pronounced as it was before therefore the throatiness stands out a little more. So the baffle mod IMO changed a few little nuances about the exhaust, all for the better I reckon. And it may just be my imagination, but my butt dyno seems to think that the power curve has shifted slightly down in the rpm range. Could be to do with the little bit of increased backpressure, could simply be a placebo effect on my behalf.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Bike is sitting out the front of work at the moment mate, ute has done a clutch (too many big power drifts :cool:) so my bike is my only transport at the moment. Washed and waxed her before the ride with my mate just so my little 300 looked half decent next to the weapon that is his 10R. :eek: Plus had been a month or so since she had a bath, the rain doesnt make her look too pretty after a while. On a side note, my mate reckons these 300's look bloody mint and actually prefers the shape of my tank compared to his. Reckons they are awesome bikes, he took mine for a spin and couldnt wipe the grin off his face. Good stuff. I took his for a spin while he was on mine.........scared the fucking shit out of me in all honesty, that throttle will send you to the moon if your not careful.

Have been riding everyday for the last 2 months. So no biggie if you want me to swing past somewhere mate, work in Henderson and live in Hillman so pretty much go right past your way. Can drop past any day mate, no probs at all.

I did like the sound of the baffle out, especially at idle, but it was just so bloody loud at higher rpms and general cruising at 6-8000 rpm. The deep idle was music to my ears but I just couldnt deal myself with the volume of it for the rest of the time. Plus I wanted to keep attention away from those in blue if ya know what I mean. Still........nowhere near as loud as a Harley thats for sure.

Yeah that farty noise still seems to be there, just not as pronounced as it was before therefore the throatiness stands out a little more. So the baffle mod IMO changed a few little nuances about the exhaust, all for the better I reckon. And it may just be my imagination, but my butt dyno seems to think that the power curve has shifted slightly down in the rpm range. Could be to do with the little bit of increased backpressure, could simply be a placebo effect on my behalf.
Sorry mate. I've been asleep most of the day. Been online gaming and jumping on the forum, in between last night.

I'm in Parmelia, so it is actually a bit out of your usual route. If anything, I need to get my bike out and about, so this is a good an excuse as any. It's been sitting in my garage since my last outing with infsub, two Sundays ago.:(

PM me where you stay (or anywhere else for that matter) and what time you'll finish work tomorrow and we'll meet up. I wouldn't mind hearing it TBH.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
What if I just drill some holes into the yoshi baffle and weld the bottom shut? What do you think about that.
Yeah I dont see why not although I didnt go that route as you would have to drill quite a few holes in the pipe in order to not create too much backpressure in your system and I wanted to keep the Yoshi one as a spare in case I wasnt happy with the sound so I could revert it back. Also the Yoshi pipe is quite thin.

Can be done though if you have the patience to drill that many holes lol..........and it would be a lot of holes. Drilling on a convex surface isnt the easiest either, if you are going to go that route I recommend centre marking/centre popping the position of your holes to enable the drill to start without runoff if you know what I am getting at, although I would be very careful as you may end up squashing the pipe as you centre mark.

We do drill holes here at my workshop in pipe quite often, and by far centre marking is the easiest way to ensure the drill tip doesnt wander or run off. However.........I have never done it in such thin pipe before, most of the pipe that we use is 5-10mm thick so deforming is not an issue.

Honestly I would still check out if you can get a piece of perforated pipe first, should be able to get pretty much anywhere that does exhausts/plumbing/hardware etc. Then simply weld/seal bottom and drill hole for retaining ring screw and install.

Let me know how you go mate, I was very happy with the sound after I had finished. Even though it was still louder than I would have liked, it was by far much quieter than before and has a much nicer, deeper and less droney sound.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Good point on keeping the original. I will see what I can gather up tomorrow and will def let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts