Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been hased out before, but can anyone explain how the chain adjuster bolts work on the swingarm?

I tried tightening my chain (bike on ground) and when I went to turn the adjuster nut to tighten the chain (ie counter-clockwise) , all it did was loosen off the bolt without actually moving the swingarm. However, if I loosen the chain (ie turn the adjuster nut clockwise) it moves the swingarm in, loosening the chain.

Im sure the bike need to have the weight off of the rear wheel so that the swingarm can move freely, but I am just curious because I have seen people tighten their chain with the bike on the ground. (pardon my noob-ish question)

·
Registered
537 Posts
Not sure where you are seeing that going counter-clockwise should tighten the chain; it's the opposite.
Admittedly, I never did this with the bike NOT on a stand, so my guess is, there's likely the weight of the bike pushing the rear wheel in weird directions, so you may be misinterpreting what is actually going on.
Here's a video i found on YT using a stand (there's probably a better video out there, but at least this one is for a 300):

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe you are correct. The weight of the bike on the wheel makes it awkward to adjust the chain. And yup, looks like the YouTube guy was turning the adjuster nut CLOCKWISE and that ended up tightening the chain.

I will get a rear stand next time

·
Registered
537 Posts
Check this thread out:

Two handy gadgets that won't break the bank:

Link to Chain Alignment tool:

Link to Motion Pro Chain Tension Tool Slack Setter:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts