Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my Delkevic slip-on exhaust. Although I love the sound, there seems to be a lot of backfire when I let off the throttle and/or engine braking. I have yet to install a gasket.

Is that typical or am I missing something?

·
Registered
419 Posts
while some people like thee sound of the backfire I think it just sounds like a poorly tuned engine sounding like shit. I love the sound of the Delk and the LeoVince but can't decide if I want to put up with the backfire's.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Adding the silencer to the Leo Vince pretty much got rid of that problem for me, but it still happens every now and then. I don't mind it.

-THE DON

·
Registered
257 Posts
Is it a proper backfire that sounds like a shotgun going off or are they pop/burbles that are associated with every free flowing exhaust on all applications and thus not new or magical? Both of my cars have free flowing exhausts and they pop and burble like it's their job. If either of them bounce off the limiter (spark cut off) then they WILL backfire because the entire air/fuel mixture is dumped into the hot exhaust.

On decel the air/fuel mixture is generally rich to deal with a number of possible scenarios that can come up. Amusingly enough my SRT is tuned to do it a lot by the factory on purpose. If you don't hear pops on <insert exhaust or model of vehicle here> then the exhaust is pretty good at silencing them. Burbles have to do with cool air and less back pressure.

·
Registered
114 Posts
also what about the block off plate setup? also i read somewhere when they dyno ,they just pinch the lines so the clean air system doesnt work. I am wondering myself if you just tie of the lines would that work.I still have my ninja torn down and would like to know

·
Super Moderator
1,075 Posts
Is it a proper backfire that sounds like a shotgun going off or are they pop/burbles that are associated with every free flowing exhaust on all applications and thus not new or magical? Both of my cars have free flowing exhausts and they pop and burble like it's their job. If either of them bounce off the limiter (spark cut off) then they WILL backfire because the entire air/fuel mixture is dumped into the hot exhaust.

On decel the air/fuel mixture is generally rich to deal with a number of possible scenarios that can come up. Amusingly enough my SRT is tuned to do it a lot by the factory on purpose. If you don't hear pops on <insert exhaust or model of vehicle here> then the exhaust is pretty good at silencing them. Burbles have to do with cool air and less back pressure.
only reasons neons crackle is because their shitty intake manifold designs. same reasons subbies sound they way they do, their un equal length header. Put a equal length header on one and itll sound like a hondurr.. My rsx sounds like a subby because of my turbo manifold.

·
Registered
257 Posts
only reasons neons crackle is because their shitty intake manifold designs. same reasons subbies sound they way they do, their un equal length header. Put a equal length header on one and itll sound like a hondurr.. My rsx sounds like a subby because of my turbo manifold.
No, the burble/popping isnt because of that. Though granted cyl 1 does run slightly rich and cyl 4 runs slightly lean because of it. The intake and headers on my vette on the other hand is fairly well designed for an 8 cyl and it still does it too, not to the same extent though. But like I said, the SRT is TUNED for it.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
We hear the the 'backfire" issue quite often (regardless of bike) when adding a slip-on or full system and the debate comes up whether the bike is too lean or too rich. Keep in mind, as Freelance posted, you've reduced back pressure ( and with some bikes removed the CAT) which creates alot of the backfire and pop. Usually that when alot of guys grab a FI controller ( PCV, Bazzaz, etc) and in most cases, they've told us it takes care of it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
If you want to have some real fun with a full or open exhaust. Find a really big down hill and turn the key off for 1 second while coasting in 6 gear then turn it back on. It will make the neighborhood dogs run for cover :eek:

·
Registered
419 Posts
We hear the the 'backfire" issue quite often (regardless of bike) when adding a slip-on or full system and the debate comes up whether the bike is too lean or too rich. Keep in mind, as Freelance posted, you've reduced back pressure ( and with some bikes removed the CAT) which creates alot of the backfire and pop. Usually that when alot of guys grab a FI controller ( PCV, Bazzaz, etc) and in most cases, they've told us it takes care of it.

Is a FI (fuel injection?) controller the same as a power commander or is this something completely different?

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Yep the same. Those are just the company's branded models.
Not quite........some do only fuel, some have ignition control too. But essentially they are all fuel injection modules, some just have the addition of being able to control ignition timing also.

Area-P - Fuel only
PC-V - Fuel & Ignition
Bazzaz - Fuel only (I think)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts