Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my situation. I'm a relatively experienced rider who has owned a little less than a dozen bikes over ten years. Never liked the poor handling of cruisers and never liked the ergos of pure sportbikes. I needed my mount to be comfortable but also get the blood pumping (insert joke here). I've had 500 to 800cc bikes during that time, from the Ninja 500R, BMW f800s, Kawi z750s, WeeStrom 650, yada yada. I'm in SoCal and ride A LOT; it's year-round commuting, grand canyon trips, and pleasure rides up and down the coast for me all the time and I need a bike that I can do those things in with comfort, fun, and economy.

In a fit of insanity I sold my 2009 Kawi Versys. Now I am a rider without a bike and so I must get something. Trick is, I am in a tight financial situation for a while (a familiar story for too many, I know). I can't afford much, and so I'm thinking of the affordable Kawi 300 as a good option. I love the great mpg, love the flickable nature of the bike, sounds like it goes fast enough (over 100mph), FI is good, and I like that I can afford to get a NEW bike (pretty much the only one I would be able to afford).

I guess my question is, does this make sense?

Do you guys with some experience who are riding the 300 find it to be fun enough? I'm not addicted to power but I need it to be a fun ride with decent torque as I work the gearbox. I love the fuel economy; that's more and more important to me (and so many of us) these days. I love Kawi reliability; every one I've owned has always been completely rock solid. I also love the idea that I can get a new bike, even with my limited funds.

I guess my question, posed in a slightly different form, might be: 'are you happy you got a 300 versus a used 600 or 650'?

I ask this because a reviewer said that the 300 behaves less like a 250 than a small version of a 650. I've always found 650's to have enough power to satisfy my need for fun so I wonder if the 300 might fit the bill considering its affordable price. What are your opinions and your experiences, and thanks in advance! -Ron

· Registered
304 Posts
I went from an R6 to the 300 (with about 6 years between the two), and I really don't miss the power. Yeah, it was fun to lift the front tire without trying, but with the 300, you can ride it at 9/10ths and still not be breaking speed limits all the time. It's a blast to ride, and it is a noticable difference over the 250.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Motorcycle.com Free App

· Banned
666 Posts
I agree with lienmarine
i got my 300 about 3 days ago you can ride it as hard as u want
and just enjoy the ride
you dont have to worry about killing yourself accidentally and it will
still scooot down the road
the more you trust it that better it goes

Reactions: ronNoc

· Registered
33 Posts
I think its more fun to ride a small bike hard than a powerful bike easy.I was flogging a 1969 Honda Super 90 around the neighborhood last summer before it got stolen so the 300 seems like a superbike. Well not really but its fun enough for me. And people love the looks, it's really a handsome motorcycle.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some good responses. Yes, I didn't mention that another factor is the bike's sharp looks; it's easy on the eyes, unlike my old Versys or Weestrom.

How is the punch off the line? I do a hefty amount of lane splitting, and need to punch past the cagers.

· Registered
1,025 Posts
Some good responses. Yes, I didn't mention that another factor is the bike's sharp looks; it's easy on the eyes, unlike my old Versys or Weestrom.

How is the punch off the line? I do a hefty amount of lane splitting, and need to punch past the cagers.
I'm still keeping my bike under 8000 rpm, and it's never a problem to put some distance between me and the cagers in a few seconds. :D

· Banned
666 Posts
it will move. The fuel injection cuts out 95% of the lag under 3k as opposed
to the 250r (i have a 250r as my 2nd bike so i know)
it will surprise you
i would let you ride my bike but only naked girlz with big boobs get to ride my bike
other than me
trust me buy it and enjoy :)

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it will move. The fuel injection cuts out 95% of the lag under 3k as opposed
to the 250r (i have a 250r as my 2nd bike so i know)
That's an interesting fact I haven't heard about before. Makes sense to me, and it sounds pretty important, too, as a differentiation from the 250R's performance.

i would let you ride my bike but only naked girlz with big boobs get to ride my bike other than me
I see we share a similar policy! You're gonna have to YouTube some of these extreme squidy riders, my friend, strictly for performance measurement purposes. ;)

trust me buy it and enjoy :)
Looks like most everyone is pretty happy about their purchase and doesn't feel deprived of power at all.

· Banned
666 Posts
So, you don't let girls with really good looking girls with big boobs that are clothed ride your bike? Even if they promise to get naked afterwards?! :p
**** no... this aint no popeye movie
I demand payment up front i don't take checks :)
and to be honest i really dont want her naked ass on my seat
getting her butt juice everywhere either.

Ninja 300 > gf :)

· Registered
761 Posts
I'm a very experienced rider, with hundreds of thousand of miles on large cc bikes, over the course of 32 years.
I never thought I would be so excited over a 300cc bike. Can't wait to get one! ;)

Edit: And welcome to the forum.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm a very experienced rider, with hundreds of thousand of miles on large cc bikes, over the course of 32 years.
I never thought I would be so excited over a 300cc bike. Can't wait to get one! ;)

Edit: And welcome to the forum.
Haven't picked it up yet? Have you got a chance to ride it a bit before or will you have to wait 'till the ride home? And thanks for the welcome.

· Registered
761 Posts
Haven't picked it up yet? Have you got a chance to ride it a bit before or will you have to wait 'till the ride home? And thanks for the welcome.
Haven't even seen one in person. I just know I like it.
Out of all the bikes I've bought, I've never test rode any of them... :eek:

I'm just here learning about the bike, for the time being.

· Registered
143 Posts
Hey Ron,, and welcome to the forum!!! After reading your posts, I feel like i got a pretty decent idea of what kind of rider you are. Like me and a lot of others, your not a power-junkie, but want to have enough punch to have fun and I can agree with you there 100% I've been stuck personally between a new '12 ninja 650 and the 300. After riding both, I'm seriously leaning towards the 300 because I don't like how heavy the 650 is and how wide in the tank it feels. But, like you i'm worried I won't be satisfied. i had a KLX250 before and spent thousands of dollars trying to make it quicker and something it never could be...i don't want to make the same mistake again is what i'm saying. But from reading tons of stuff on here from fellow riders I think we should be alright with the 300, and also if you do decide you need a bit more power, there is exhaust systems and a PC available and god knows what else will come out....My only worry is the build quality...Kawi has always been great in that area in my experience but CBZDEL and a couple other members had some complaints about fairing seeming shoddy and not lining up right. i just want to make sure the bike is solid and will last a longtime you know? I plan on keeping it until it absolutely dies or gasoline is no longer available lol.

A few points I wanted to mention that might help you decide:

-The ninja 300 has a claimed HP of 39 (actual numbers are around 36 I believe) and weighs right around 385lbs wet I believe Whereas the ninja 650 puts out between 65-70 stock (thats only a 30 or so HP advantage with 350cc of displacement!!!) and weighs 460 wet. The weight difference should really make for great handling and make the bike feel more powerful than it is...

-The ninja 300 is breaking a barrier into a segment that IMO, is going to BLOW UP. For years new and experienced riders alike have wished for a sporty bike that is under 500cc but over 250cc, the ninja is the first of that breed and as a result I believe they are going to continue to sell like crazy and amass a huge rider following and in turn, the aftermarket support will be great. My point is, is that even if we buy one and it's not enough power, i'm sure in not too much time there will be alot of options for upping the power.

-The ninja 650 or even the Fzr6 are about maxxed out performance wise. They are designed to be economical commuters so one is hard pressed to get very much performance gains out of them other than an exhaust system. Plus the Kawi 650's parralel twin is very tight. Meaning the two pistons are only seperated by a tiny margin inside the cylinder so theres no real chance of a big-bore kit. Where as The 300's engine is based on the venerable 250 which is known to be bullet-proof, I believe you can get alot more out of it, if your really put your mind to it.

I tried my best to answer you question by comparing it to 650s which it seemed like was your secondary choice if not the 300. Hope this helps man.

· Registered
199 Posts
You can still do wheelies! At least in first anyways haven't tried second yet, still reluctant to give it to her because I'm still breaking it in.
I couldn't be happier with my 300. It really is a perfect mix of power/fuel economy and still really flickable! I've had a few bikes in my riding time the biggest being a 05 gsxr750.
I like the 300 because you can rev it without going into warp speed and risk dying/loosing licence. It looks awesome and the ergos are good, only thing I don't rate is the seat which is pretty firm and for rides over 45min it really gets uncomfortable.
That's my only real gripe!

· Registered
934 Posts
Although I would like to mention about the seat.. I have about 1k miles on my 300. and the seat is getting a LOT softer.. I think in another thousand it will be a very nice seat molded to my buttox haha

I will prob invest in a better seat, maybe a corbin seat once they come out with one just for my own kicks and giggles, I like modding things haha
But the seat as it is now is getting a LOT more pleasant to ride on for more than 45 minutes.

· Registered
41 Posts
Ron,
I am a very experienced seasoned rider, and the 300 is an absolute blast to ride. It always leaves a beaming smile on my face. If I was a Moto Journalist testing this thing, I'd be raving about it. It has easily enough power for all street riding situations. It will leave the cars standing at a junction and you still have that king of the road feeling, even on the freeway. The Ninja 250 needs some more focus and you have to work it hard to get the most out of it, but the 300 just has that midrange pep to it that makes the difference. It is agile in the handling area too and is super smooth in terms of vibration. I can't say enough good things about it, you just have to try it for yourself.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.